Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What is a good price for iVES installed at the dealer? My dealer is offering me one at $1,300. It it a good price?

Thanks,

Dongho

·
Registered
23 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dongho:
Hello,

What is a good price for iVES installed at the dealer? My dealer is offering me one at $1,300. It it a good price?

Thanks,

Dongho
</font>
I'm thinking about getting one myself and the best price I can find is from www.HandA-Accessories.com for 1349 + shipping so 1300 sounds like a good price (especially if that includes installation).

Eric

------------------
2000 GG EX-Navi

·
Registered
157 Posts
At $1300, you'd be getting a great deal! Especially if it includes installation! Remember, if it is dealer installed, it is covered under Honda Warranty for 3 yrs or more if you get Honda Care.

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like a great price - I paid $1800 from my dealer including installation. Was quoted $2000 and up to $2300 from other dealers in the Chicago area.

------------------
vangirl

'01 SS EX with i-VES, Kelton Subwoofer, trailer hitch, cross bars, in-dash CD changer, fog lights, cargo tray

'00 New Formula Red S2000
'00 Flamenco Black Pearl Civic EX

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just talked to my dealer.
He was referring to an aftermarket unit.
He does not even know the brand name of the unit he quoted at $1,300.

The Honda unit will be $2,000 including installation.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Get this, I was originally quoted $1,700 for the iVES plus $240 for installation ($1940 total). I showed them the HandA prices and I told them that I thought they were making plenty of money with me paying MSRP for the van . . . I asked them to reconsider their price. They finally said they could do it if $1748. In going through how he came up to this amount, he stated that the "Parts Department" needed to make $148 profit and they were considered a different entity. Unbelievable! They finally said that I could supply them the parts and they could install them for the $240 labor, which would get me to $1,600 (excluding shipping costs). While I could do the install myself, the $240 buys me the peace of mind that the unit will be included under the entire 3 yr warranty. HandA, here I come!

Anyone know the typical turnaround time to get an iVES from HandA? My van will be here between Oct 5 - 15th.

------------------

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank's for the quick response Trevor!

Earlier this month, you were going to post a
picture of the grey iVES installed in an ivory interior. I'd really like to see how this combination looks.

Also, have you ever heard of anyone using an interior dye to change the plastic shrouds to match the ivory interior? The sevice guy says that they do this all the time to other interior plastic parts. He says that it is not a paint and will not scratch off.

Also, the description line in the "shopping cart" on your web site says that the iVES "fits years 1999 - 2001." Please verify that it also works on 2002 EXL NAV models. I believe it should unless there is some strange wire harness difference.

------------------

·
Registered
75 Posts
i-VES in beige interior:

Hadn't heard of anyone using the dye on one but I'm surprised it hadn't been mentioned before. I hadn't even thought of it. I've heard of people getting their interior parts dyed before.

I've fixed the error in the shopping cart so that it will now show for 2002.

thanks!
Trevor

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rollie66:
Make sure it is the honda unit. For that price it could be audiovox.</font>
I was told the Honda unit is made by audiovox.

------------------

'66 Mustang convertible (former, pre-mommy life)
'99 CSS EX (gone but not forgotten)
'01 GG EX (Humpty Dumpty - you know the story)
'02 GG EXL NAV (Under construction)

...come over the hill Carolina. Devils & Deacs
stand in line...

·
Registered
585 Posts
The image of the system at the visteon site above Trevor mentioned is a spot-on match (even the same color) so I suspect he is correct; these guys build these OEM units for several car manufacturers (according to the website).

I would say RUN from the dealer who is trying to equate the audiovox unit to you with the iVES. They're a moron at best and at worst trying to play you for a fool.

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
The image of the system at the visteon site above Trevor mentioned is a spot-on match (even the same color) so I suspect he is correct; these guys build these OEM units for several car manufacturers (according to the website).

I would say RUN from the dealer who is trying to equate the audiovox unit to you with the iVES. They're a moron at best and at worst trying to play you for a fool.
</font>
In this case, it's the former. You can't fool us odyclub folks
. This info came from my local dealer (that won't come off msrp so we don't buy there) who I called to shop their price on the IVES. They often are misinformed but I just don't bother to correct them. In this case, I didn't know they were wrong. I hadn't seen the unit in person and frankly am not terribly concerned with who makes it -- visteon is not familiar to me but maybe it is to the audio/videophile types. We currently have the audiovox system which is fine. I didn't want to lose the tv tuner that we have so I was trying to determine if the Honda vcp would be compatible with the Audiovox monitor and tuner. I like the audiovox monitor better too. I know it's not, but it looks bigger. But, no techs or part sales people know if they would work together... anyone out there know? The only issue would be possibly voiding the factory warranty, which would probably make it not worth it.

------------------

stand in line...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3odys4me:
I hadn't seen the unit in person and frankly am not terribly concerned with who makes it -- visteon is not familiar to me but maybe it is to the audio/videophile types.
</font>
Visteon is a company that was spun-off from Ford a year or two ago. I believe that it was originally an electronics manufacturing branch of Ford.

------------------
2001 EX-NAVI, SS
1997 Accord EX-L, Forest Green
Previous Hondas:
1992 Accord EX, White
1982 Accord DX, Silver

·
Registered
147 Posts
Visteon use to be with Ford as stated and they sell the Video that Ford touts now. The product is actually made by Auto Cinema here in Florida. Auto Cinema has lost the contract to manufacture Videos for Ford. All new units are manufactured by Audiovox. It will be on the Expedition and Navigators as a factory installed option only from what I have read in the Trade magazines. Excursions will also have these units. I have seen a bunch of them already on some 2001's. I have not seen TV Tuners on any of them and no DVD's only VCP's. The Excursion is the most interesting having the Multimedia radio completely integrated. Audiovox is by far the biggest of the Video market. Getting Fords contract did not hurt. They have a quality product for the money and the Warranty is 3 years. And only Rosen has 3 years also. Ok, so does Auto Cinema but I feel the product is inferior for the money. When I warranty an Audiovox product (which is rare) I always receive a new unit for exchange instead of repairing it. I bet Honda won't do that! I do not know who makes the Honda unit. I don't think Audovox does only because I use so much of there product they would of told me. I believe that it's a Rosen product. I will check that out and let you know. I have yet to see a Honda system yet. Since I deal in the Aftermarket I never see the Factory Honda. Oh, by the way if you have a Ford, The Visteon piece is being sold at Firehouse prices. Dealer is selling the video installed for $799 installed! And I do the installs for them. He bought 500 of them for $300 and selling them cheap!

DanDan The Radio Man

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Pert:
Visteon is a company that was spun-off from Ford a year or two ago. I believe that it was originally an electronics manufacturing branch of Ford.

</font>
OK. Thanks for the info Steve. But, now that I know it's Ford related, I'm starting to care a lot about who makes it. Bad Ford experiences

------------------

stand in line...

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DanDan:
I do not know who makes the Honda unit. I don't think Audovox does only because I use so much of there product they would of told me. I believe that it's a Rosen product. I will check that out and let you know.
DanDan The Radio Man
</font>
Hey Dan. Thanks for all the info. I would like to know about the Honda system; who makes it, what your opinion is of it. Audiovox is not a dirty word to me, I have been very pleased with our 2 systems. If you feel like the system Honda is installing is inferior I may consider going with an aftermarket system again. I hate to lose the tv tuner that the Audiovox comes with. Honda techs were unsure if you could add a tuner to the I VES. Do you know? Could you recommend one? Thanks for your expertise.
Totally OT, we have a buddy who does cabinetry & trim work...he's Dan Dan the cabinet man. Maybe a distant cousin

------------------

stand in line...

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
B]</font>

They must be using a different model in the Ody because the visteon website mentions a tv tuner which the Honda I-VES does not have. The plot thickens...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey 3Odys4me, I would not hesitate with going with Audiovox. You can get what you want and save a bunch of money too, while you still get the warranty. The tuners are built in and I will not sell a video system without one. I was at one of my Honda dealers today and they had none on the lot. I will find one eventually! The only secret I can tell you about Audiovox is make sure you use a Choke on the power line. They will whine with the engine if you don't. They still won't include them with there systems! Good luck,

DanDan is not the Cabinet making man, but will install your video! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts