Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased our GG EXL last month. The dealer went over very specific instuctions on how to maintain the car (even wrote them down for us). One of the suggestions was to wash the van with ivory clear dishwashing soap. What do you think about this?

Also, I have read some of the posts on zaino. Can someone reccomend the essentials I should use on the van.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
OK, newodyowner, I'll get the ball rolling, but I'm sure others will chip in:

Zaino's instructions call for washing the car with Dawn dishwashing soap BEFORE applying Zaino the first time. This is to remove any previous waxes, grease, dirt, etc. It is NOT a general purpose substitute for a more normal car wash detergent.

At a minimum, if you're going to go the Zaino route you'll want Z-1 Show Car Polish Lok and Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Finishes. Apply these according to the directions. I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference what you use for an applicator, as long as it's very soft. Most people seem to use 100% white cotton bath towels to remove the Z-2. (I bought some nice ones at J.C. Penney's for about $5.)

Many users recommend "claying" the car before applying Z-1. They present a convincing argument. I didn't.

If you really want to build up a deeper shine, then add additional coats of Z-2 with Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray.

Those are the "essentials." Zaino makes some other good products, e.g. Z-10 Leather in a Bottle and Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss. Actually, I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about any of their products.

Hope this helps,
Mel

·
Registered
273 Posts
I did the clay bar rub as per Zanio instructions on a new van. It had been washed at the dealer, I washed in Dawn. The clay bar was dirty when I finished. I was surprised and see the story rail dust etc. was true. It does not take long as is easy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info. I hope ivory clear does not take off the wax like Dawn! The dealer told us to use this as a regular weekly car wash. I have already used it several times.

I am intrigued to try the clay, but am afraid of not doing it right. I think I will have to wait and see. I will let you know how I do with the zaino.
Wendy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wendy,
Don't use dish washing soap to clean your cars. Get some car wash soap at an auto parts store or Wal-Mart. It is not expensive, and much better for the finish of your cars.

·
Registered
200 Posts
newodyowner,

I was timid about the whole claying thing as well. As long as you keep the car lubricated with the diluted Zaino car wash and don't use the clay if it falls on the ground (it may pick up stones, etc.), all should go well. Other than those tips, just follow the directions.

Good luck,

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't ever use dishwashing liquid on your car it begins to create a film that can be a pain in the ass to clear off. I've had two black cars and have learned alot from others as well. Wash with some kind of car washing soap the doesnt remove wax. Van.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts