Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i am try to find info about doing a J35 swap in to my RA1. I know that the H22 drops right in but i am more interested in doing the J35. if anyone has any into please let me know.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In Japan they had the 3.0 liter option and they had a slig htly longer front end from what i have read but i may be wrong. So i would guess of would only fit with heavy modification. But anything is possible. Just depends on how much of a fabricator you are or how deep your pockets are. But i would love that engine with a 6 speed tranny in our vans.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think the swap would be easy... Axles would be my only Question.
Accord mounts would work.
The best choice I think for swap.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have been thinking if you can put a j in an accord it should work in the RA1 i just don't want to do the same thing everyone else does. thanks for the support i hope it happens i am still hopeing for more help from people on here.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There was a v6 back in 96, since the accord and odyssey share just about every underpinning there is a good chance that the front sub frame, cross member, and engine will fit. Just my 2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As I remember the V6 applications has the engine/tranny swapped. IE the transmission in on the driver's (left side) and engine on passengers side. It still might fit but I'd want to start with a complete running Accord as I think it will require almost all Accord parts forward of the firewall.

Possible conversion issues are:

Axles. This might be a bigger issue than you might think. Not only are the sides "swapped" but I think the diameter of the splinned sections is different. I'd make sure the V6 Accords halfshafts will go into the Ody wheel hub properly (correct length as well) BEFORE starting the conversion.

A/C hoses. These will have to be built.
P/S hoses
Harnesses
Interface between van's electrical systems and the Accord's drivetrain. (staying with the same year vehicles will reduce these issues).

The best advise I can give you for this swap is to NOT do it until you find someone who has successfully done it and is willing to advise you with your swap. It usually takes multiple swaps before the process is "de-bugged".

Any swap can be done. Sometimes it can be done economically, but almost NEVER the first time...

In this case of our 95 Ody I'm planning on correcting the power issue with an H23 DOHC head and a turbo system. Simple, easy, cheap. Might not have the cool factor....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right that sucks. well i am looking at a 2000 Ody J35 with hopes of that any ideas of that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The swap is actually relatively easy you can use lower cross member front cross member, most of the mounts, axles and wiring harness & ECU from a 96-98 Acura CL 3.0 coupe.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i have been thinking if you can put a j in an accord it should work in the RA1 i just don't want to do the same thing everyone else does.
Lame excuse. :p

Do the H23 Blue top, most people don't do this type of swap if you want ease of install. Then again, most people don't fix up odyssey's period, so by even considering to swap anything in your odyssey already makes you "different".

I'm doing the blue top because it makes more power, and it's OBD-II already.

·
Registered
725 Posts
ok iv been gone for some time now lol..
to install the j35 or any j into 95-98 odyssey
you will need any j you wish
all mounts and body brackes from a 96-98 cl with the 3.0 (you must get the motor bracket )
axles from same year ( with the half shaft)
as for ac u also use all parts (compressor condensor , lines ) from a 96-98 cl with the 3.0
you will need to figure out how to do the low side line at the evap
as far as wiring , i found its mostly plug and play with using the same year (for me at least) 97 cl sub harness inplace of the 97 odyssey one .
wish i took pics. dont have the van any more as i pulled it to put in my crx (van was hit by some one with no insurance)

·
Registered
930 Posts
ok iv been gone for some time now lol..
to install the j35 or any j into 95-98 odyssey
you will need any j you wish
all mounts and body brackes from a 96-98 cl with the 3.0 (you must get the motor bracket )
axles from same year ( with the half shaft)
as for ac u also use all parts (compressor condensor , lines ) from a 96-98 cl with the 3.0
you will need to figure out how to do the low side line at the evap
as far as wiring , i found its mostly plug and play with using the same year (for me at least) 97 cl sub harness inplace of the 97 odyssey one .
wish i took pics. dont have the van any more as i pulled it to put in my crx (van was hit by some one with no insurance)
before seeing this i was like, i really hope Overboostin sees this thread;-)
He knows his stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ur gonna need an RA5 front end. J series fully set up already. I'm almost done with my RA5 conversion. Comes stock with J30A engine. Just swap with J35A and you'd be smashin'. This motor can really haul the heavy chassis.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a question. So if i run a cl s engine with a accord 6 speed will the mounts fron the 97 cl suffice for it? How many mounts am i looking at? Ive been looking for a wrecked acura cl but people think they are gold around here even wrecked. So i was thinking of have rpm systems do the wiring and try to see if i can do the rest on my own. I have two garages so space is not an issue but time is. Hope to find the donor cars soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a question. So if i run a cl s engine with a accord 6 speed will the mounts fron the 97 cl suffice for it? How many mounts am i looking at? Ive been looking for a wrecked acura cl but people think they are gold around here even wrecked. So i was thinking of have rpm systems do the wiring and try to see if i can do the rest on my own. I have two garages so space is not an issue but time is. Hope to find the donor cars soon.
Overboostin knows his stuff and based on what he says (and what I've been researching) you will need all engine mounts (4 I think), engine braces and both axles and half shafts. I think the the Acura CL S engine mounts (CL S was in 2002?) are the same as the 97-98. If you have a CL S I'd pull everything: Wiring harness, computer, mounts, transmission, axles...I'd take the whole front section if you can that way its all there. I haven't seen a CL S with a 6 speed for sale around here and if I did I'm sure it would be a lot of money. Good luck with it.

Dennis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts