Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reality check here; just trying to get a sense of whether this sounds reasonable to anyone.

I spoke with my local dealer today. He quoted MSRP (no add-ons, extras, doc fees, etc.), but went on to state that if I ordered now I shouldn't expect delivery anytime before January. He said that virtually the only way he could deliver before then would be if someone happened to cancel their order and no one higher on the list wanted that particular van. Further, even with the January delivery date, he told me that I had better be somewhat flexible with respect to the color of the vehicle.

This was a surprise to me. I mean, I wasn't expecting to get the van next week, but 4 months and even then not necessarily getting my first color choice? Is this atypical or the norm for placing an order at this point?

Any and all comments welcome. FWIW, I'd really like to do business with this dealership because it's only a few minutes away and has an excellent service department.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Four months sounds right to me, but my dealer asked me what color & model I wanted.

------------------
Waiting for RRP EX

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. At least I know I not the only one facing a 4 months wait.

My dealer asked me which model I wanted, initially. I told him I wanted the RES and that's when he said 'no earlier than January and no guarantee it would be my first color choice'. I presume I could get one earlier if I had no preference concerning **both** the model and color.

Anyway, facing January delivery (or later), I can't help but wonder what the odds are of getting one of the first to roll off the line at the AL plant.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
January is what I'm hearing now, but that might change if people cancel orders based on the economy or their own individual employment situation.

My dealer is ordering only LXs. He'll install his own aftermarket leather, RES, and NAV. He says that gives him the most flexibility, so he only has to worry about getting a particular color from the factory. He didn't say which mfgr he's using for the add-ins. My EXL is the only non-LX he has on order.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L due 10/17
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance model 658 shoes

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find that interesting. I would have thought allocation would apply across the board. IOW, getting an LX in a particular color would be as difficult as getting, say, an EXL in a particular color. I don't know, on balance, does Honda produce more LXs than EXs?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
That particular dealer decided to order all LXs is so he has more flexibility, not to get a better allocation.

This way, he just orders a mix of colors then he adds on the leather, RES, or NAV, as desired by customers.

He has less of a chance of getting stuck with a particular prebuilt car. Suppose someone orders RP EXL-NAV then doesn't like the color when it comes in. The dealer would have to find a customer who wants that specific vehicle, which is harder than finding a customer for that particular color. Also, the dealer could then deliver cloth seats with his RES or NAV.

------------------
Maugham

'02 RP EX-L due 10/17

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">That particular dealer decided to order all LXs is so he has more flexibility, not to get a better allocation.

This way, he just orders a mix of colors then he adds on the leather, RES, or NAV, as desired by customers.
</font>
He's going to get screwed with this technique, and so are his customers.

You can't add RES to a non-RES Ody. You can add aftermarket leather, but not RES.

And how about the rest of it?

* Heated seats
* Climate control
* Security system
* POWER SLIDING DOORS--on the security remote, no less
* Body colored exterior trim
* Rear speakers (goes with "can't add RES")

And undoubtedly a few other things I haven't thought of.

By the time he adds all the pieces-parts--and his dealer mechanics have torn the van apart to put these things in, probably badly--nobody will want to pay the price. Better to get an EX.

I wouldn't do business with that guy ever.

[This message has been edited by adam1991 (edited 09-22-2001).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
That dealer sounds like a real bonehead! Ditto-Id pass on him if at all possible. I mean who would want leather and an entertainment system, but NOT power doors, seat or automatic climate control?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maugham,

I understand what your dealer is trying to do, I'm just surprised he's able to do it.

The way I **thought** it worked was that each dealer was allotted a specific number of vehicles and that number was model-based. If a dealer's total allocation of vehicles were, say, 50, I didn't think he had the ability to order 50 LXs or 50 NAVs. I mean, if every dealer ordered all LXs (or all NAVs), wouldn't that completely hose Honda's production schedule? Obviously, I'm clueless as to the mechanics of allocation.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Have to agree with adam1991! You can't upgrade an LX to EX-L with RES or NAV-just too many things to consider. Check out the Odyssey brochure for all the differences and you'll see. Of course if someone wants an LX with leather, then that would be great I guess.
Homer-I have spoken to probably 6 dealers in various parts of the country and there does not seem to be a standard method of allocation. If there is, then the dealers are confused or secretive about the process!
IMO, don't be stuck with the local dealer, you can (and should) still expect excellent service regardless of where you buy your van. Shop around, go out of state if need be; others have done so with good results from what I've heard. I may do it myself-not sure just yet...Good luck!
Oh, just to clarify-you CAN add various types of RES systems to any Ody. Some are better than others of course, but there are a number of after market options. The Navigation is another story however (I'm talking factory system here, not sure about after market NAV systems.)

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 09-22-2001).]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ody, I think you're probably correct; there's no standard method or, if there is, the dealers are generally confused (most likely the result of a lack of communication).

Regardless, I'll take your advice and shop around. Further, I think I'll make the dealer aware that I'm shopping around. I don't know whether that will work but it's certainly worth a shot. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
My dealer is ordering only LXs. He'll install his own aftermarket leather, RES, and NAV. He says that gives him the most flexibility, so he only has to worry about getting a particular color from the factory. He didn't say which mfgr he's using for the add-ins. My EXL is the only non-LX he has on order.
</font>
I'd be interested to find out what aftermarket NAV he expects to be putting into those LX's. Is it somehow the actual Honda NAV, or an Alpine or Pioneer NAV? Do you know or can you find out and share?

Thanks!
- R

------------------
RW
'02 SS EX (Navi Wanted, but not Leather--looking into Aftermarket Navi)
- Cargo Tray & Cover
- Mud Flaps
- Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
- Lots of Scotch-Guard
'89 Red Mazda B2200
'86 Gray Acura Legend (Tranny going out--replacing with Ody!)
'84 Honda V500 Interceptor Motorcycle
Past 'Fav: '86 Honda Prelude Si (totalled by an idiot from behind)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RWhittle:
I'd be interested to find out what aftermarket NAV he expects to be putting into those LX's. Is it somehow the actual Honda NAV, or an Alpine or Pioneer NAV? Do you know or can you find out and share?</font>
The next time I interract with the dealer I'll ask for the identity of the equipment he uses. He said it was non-Honda. It will be a couple of weeks.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

'02 RP EX-L due 10/17

·
Registered
131 Posts
Homer, can you tell us what dealer(s) you have talked to? We are in the Chicago market for a 2002 Ody too, and based on your info, we'd better place an order! Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere but what's the deal with respect to warranties on all that aftermarket stuff?

I had a conversion van and only got a year on the electronics that were added. The first control module failed within the first year so it was covered. But I had to pay for the next one and to replace the original VCP (which went about a year later).

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody:

Oh, just to clarify-you CAN add various types of RES systems to any Ody. Some are better than others of course, but there are a number of after market options. The Navigation is another story however (I'm talking factory system here, not sure about after market NAV systems.)

</font>

Well, you CAN also add various types of navigation systems to any Ody. It is not another story, however. There are also various DVD-rom navi systems available in the market and some of them can even play DVD movies.

[This message has been edited by ody2002 (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh, one more thing: If you think that only the factory NAVI is unique, think again. I'll suggest you to visit your local dealer and experience the Ody factory RES. It is quite different from most of the entertainment systems in the market. For example, in addition to 2 wireless headphones for the second (or third) row passengers, there are 3 more headphone connectors with independent volume controls located under third row seat armrest. (Of course you may also choose to enjoy the audio from the speakers.) Not to mention that the driver and the passengers can choose to enjoy the same or different audio sources (radio, tape, 2CDs, and DVD) at the same time; and the RES can be controlled from the front, from the screen or from the remote...

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Homer:
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere but what's the deal with respect to warranties on all that aftermarket stuff?

I had a conversion van and only got a year on the electronics that were added. The first control module failed within the first year so it was covered. But I had to pay for the next one and to replace the original VCP (which went about a year later).
</font>
The way I understand it, Honda will only cover Honda parts installed by Honda techs, at the dealership you buy from. If you have aftermarket stuff installed the only warranties would be the one the installer and the manufacturer provides. If you install it yourself, then you're down to only a manufacturers warranty on the parts. To further convolute things, one guy at a Honda dealership told me that if something went wrong with the vehicle's electrical system that Honda would look suspiciously at any aftermarket gadgets installed, basically implying that it may cause a problem with the Honda warranty. Don't know how much stock to put in that comment though. I will say that this is the same guy who wrote our buyer's order with a I-VES w/ a tv tuner (that doesn't exist!) My concern would be voiding my Honda warranty somehow. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge on that can address this...

------------------

'66 Mustang convertible (former, pre-mommy life)
'99 CSS EX (gone but not forgotten)
'01 GG EX (Humpty Dumpty - you know the story)
'02 GG EXL NAV (Under construction)

...come over the hill Carolina. Devils & Deacs
stand in line...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2000 TL - e-mail me and I'll give you the names of the dealers with whom I have spoken regarding availability and whether or not they're taking orders. BTW, I'm in the NW burbs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3odys4me - Your post motivated me to read the brochure (yet again). The inside back clearly states:

"Just ask your dealer to help you select quality items from our full line of genuine accessories. They're covered under our 3-year/36,000 mile limited warranty if they're installed when the car is purchased".

There's a footnote for the warranty which states,

"Ordinary maintenance or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement, and certain items are excluded".

FWIW

1 - 20 of 25 Posts