Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, owning a 2nd Gen Ody really takes a toll on your psychological health.
My check engine light came on while I was driving and I all could do is think "oh no, it's the tranny isn't it..."

Brief recap to a month ago. My 2001 Ody EX transmission failed at 140,400 miles. I took it in, mechanic plugged in a OBD-2 code reader, determined it was a P0740 code (Torque Converter Circuit Error).

When the initial CEL/TCS came on, there were absolutely no symptoms. I ordered a replacement transmission from Jasper and by the time it arrived, the transmission was starting to slip badly. I had the Jasper unit installed by one of their preferred installers near my location.

The transmission . The process The Jasper unit went in at that time. The replacement Jasper transmission came with a whole set of solenoids on them so no sensors/solenoids were re-used from my transmission.

The van drove fine for about 700 miles until last night. Actually it still drives fine. Except the CEL/TCS came on while I was cruising at 60mph on a flat road. There are no other symptoms. But that's exactly what had happened last time.

I took it into the Jasper installer this morning who took out an OBD-2 code reader and sure enough, it was a P0740 code. No symptoms, just the code.

At this point, at least I can rest assured I am protected by Jasper's 3yr/100K warranty. It has only 700 miles on the Jasper unit.

Will update as things progress...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also have the p0740 code. No slipping or any other tranny problem. Been driving the van for 10K miles now with the p0740

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have the p0740 code. No slipping or any other tranny problem. Been driving the van for 10K miles now with the p0740
Have you cleared/erased the code? Does the code keeping coming back?

From my understanding, this fault causes the torque converter to fail to lock up after 40mph under constant load. This symptom in a failing transmission is usually caused by debris clogging up passageways in the valve body and solenoid screens and is a precursor of increased damage as surfaces wear down throwing debris through the system.

In my case, I don't think I have enough miles to have reached that level of failure. I was driving the van very gently during these first hundred miles. I had only barely gotten my 3rd tank of gas when the CEL went on.

I'm a little worried that perhaps the PCM might be faulty? an easy fix but an expensive part... I'm not quite sure how they'd troubleshoot that... the 01s aren't scheduled for PCM swaps when transmissions are replaced like with 02-04s.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Did the shop clean out the trans cooler in the bottom of the radiator? Could be old material washed into the news trans.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Did the shop clean out the trans cooler in the bottom of the radiator? Could be old material washed into the news trans.
One of the Jasper installers that I visited, printed out the following dealer directed "updates" from Jasper to the installer. I think I can see where this is going. Keep us posted, DBX.

Important: As you are well aware the fluid cooler system is critical to the proper and warrantable service of your Jasper transmission.

Because you are inspecting and servicing the fluid cooler system during installation, it is your responsibility to verify the system is free of contamination and has proper cooler flow.

I order of preference here are some options to ensure proper flow.

1. REPLACE WITH A NEW SYSTEM (RADIATOR): Check flow to insure lines are clear. Check for proper operation of the check valve, where applicable. There are special applications where Jasper requires cooler replacement. For these cases Jasper provides a cooler kit with the unit. Installation of the cooler is mandatory on these applications or warranty may be void.

2. REPLACE WITH AN EXTERNAL SYSTEM: On applications where air flow could be restricted, a cooler fan would be required or the installation of an oil-to-coolant style system.

3. FLUSH THE ORIGINAL SYSTEM: Jasper recommends hydraulic shock flushers, with the heated models being the preferred option. In all cases, always flow test at operating temperature. Compare the volume exiting the transmission to the volume where it returns to the transmission. Note: Jasper does NOT consider Flush In A Can effective and therefore not an acceptable method of flushing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This would not be an issue since the new external cooler that came with the Jasper transmission replaces the trans cooler at the bottom of the radiator. The stock trans cooler is now left out of the system altogether and is not hooked up to anything. The transmission fluid flows through the brand new external tranny cooler and does not flow through the old trans cooler tube at all.

There should be no old material left in the system at all since the old transmission and all of its solenoids were removed and not reused.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
This would not be an issue since the new external cooler that came with the Jasper transmission replaces the trans cooler at the bottom of the radiator. The stock trans cooler is now left out of the system altogether and is not hooked up to anything. The transmission fluid flows through the brand new external tranny cooler and does not flow through the old trans cooler tube at all.

There should be no old material left in the system at all since the old transmission and all of its solenoids were removed and not reused.
What about the ATF lines -- the rubber connecting hoses?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you cleared/erased the code? Does the code keeping coming back?

From my understanding, this fault causes the torque converter to fail to lock up after 40mph under constant load. This symptom in a failing transmission is usually caused by debris clogging up passageways in the valve body and solenoid screens and is a precursor of increased damage as surfaces wear down throwing debris through the system.

In my case, I don't think I have enough miles to have reached that level of failure. I was driving the van very gently during these first hundred miles. I had only barely gotten my 3rd tank of gas when the CEL went on.

I'm a little worried that perhaps the PCM might be faulty? an easy fix but an expensive part... I'm not quite sure how they'd troubleshoot that... the 01s aren't scheduled for PCM swaps when transmissions are replaced like with 02-04s.

The code keeps coming back everytime i reset it. I also drained and filled the tranny 6 or 7 times in the past 9 months...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

I re-read your post. You refer to the "stock trans cooler," "old trans cooler," and the "trans cooler at the bottom of the radiator."

There is an "in-radiator" cooler built into the bottom tank of the water radiator. The hot ATF exits the A/T and first flows into this tank in the bottom of the water radiator (the in-radiator cooler), and from there it flows to a finned tube ( "old trans cooler tube") that is mounted on the sheet metal at the lower edge of the opening that houses the water radiator and A/C condenser. From there the cooled ATF flows back to the A/T.

I think that you are saying that the installer removed the "old trans cooler tube" and replaced it with the "brand new external tranny cooler."

This means that the "in-radiator" cooler is still in the circuit, and, if the installer did not clean it out using the recommended hot flush hydraulic shock machine, then it may be the source of your contamination. A Magnefine filter installed downstream from the in-radiator cooler would catch any debris. Is there any such filter?

Am I interpreting this correctly?

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Am I interpreting this correctly?
Nope. The way I read his posts are that the lines coming out of the tranny were moved from the stock cooler to the new external cooler. The coolers are now not in series. OP has one cooler the external one.

The important parts in BOLD on OP's quote below.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Nope. The way I read his posts are that the lines coming out of the tranny were moved from the stock cooler to the new external cooler. The coolers are now not in series. OP has one cooler the external one.

The important parts in BOLD on OP's quote below.
My point is that there are two ATF coolers: the first one is the in-radiator cooler, located in the bottom tank of the water radiator; the second one is a finned tube cooler that is located down stream from the first and is mounted in front of the A/C condenser. It is unclear from dbx's post exactly which cooler was connected or disconnected, and which one remains.

The recommended installation of an aftermarket cooler is to install it down stream from the in-radiator cooler, and it sounds like this is what was done --but this is not at all clear from dbx's description.

If not flushed clean, then the in-radiator cooler can be a source of debris.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
My point is that there are two ATF coolers: the first one is the in-radiator cooler, located in the bottom tank of the water radiator; the second one is a finned tube cooler that is located down stream from the first and is mounted in front of the A/C condenser. It is unclear from dbx's post exactly which cooler was connected or disconnected, and which one remains.
That is only true if one has a towing package or added an external add-on cooler. There is only ONE ATF cooler in the bottom of the radiator from the factory. dbx doesn't say if he had an external add-on cooler before the Jasper installation. I figured since it was not mentioned and dbx expicitly said the factory cooler was disconnected, it would be safe to assume that they only had one cooler which is at the bottom of the radiator and is now disconnected.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
That is only true if one has a towing package or added an external add-on cooler. There is only ONE ATF cooler in the bottom of the radiator from the factory. dbx doesn't say if he had an external add-on cooler before the Jasper installation. I figured since it was not mentioned and dbx explicitly said the factory cooler was disconnected, it would be safe to assume that they only had one cooler which is at the bottom of the radiator and is now disconnected.
The issue is: is the in-radiator cooler still part of the AFT circuit or not? If yes, it is part of the circuit, then did the installer clean it so as to eliminate it as a possible source of contaminating debris?

Perhaps DBX will chime in and resolve the issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry if there was some misunderstanding here but my transmission has one outlet hose where transmission fluid flows out of and into the ONE external transmission cooler provided by Jasper's kit. The transmission fluid then comes out of that same cooler through another hose and back into the transmission.

There are no other coolers involved.

Initially, the tranny fluid went out of the tranny through a hose into a metal tube that acted as a cooler on the stock radiator on my ody and then back into the transmission through another hose. Before the Jasper unit was installed, was no "second stock cooler" mounted in front of the A/C condenser.

The Jasper kit's cooler is now mounted in front of the AC condenser.

The stock cooler located at the bottom of the water radiator is now left open with nothing going through it. There are no hoses hooked up to that at all.

The recommended installation of an aftermarket cooler is to install it down stream from the in-radiator cooler, and it sounds like this is what was done --but this is not at all clear from dbx's description.

If not flushed clean, then the in-radiator cooler can be a source of debris.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The issue is: is the in-radiator cooler still part of the AFT circuit or not? If yes, it is part of the circuit, then did the installer clean it so as to eliminate it as a possible source of contaminating debris?

Perhaps DBX will chime in and resolve the issue.
Just wanted to post to confirm: The stock in-radiator cooler is no longer connected to the transmission at all. The fluid goes from transmission -> hose -> Jasper-provided-cooler -> hose -> transmission.

The in-radiator cooler simply sits there disconnected and not contributing any function.

The hoses to and out of the new Jasper-provided transmission cooler are brand new and not re-used from the old setup.

Therefore, there should be no contamination of old fluid or particles from the old transmission into the new transmission.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bumping up to post a follow up to my transmission experience.
I got a P0740 code about 700 miles after the new Jasper unit was installed. I freaked. I immediately took the van to the installer. My heart had sank. I thought to myself that even with the warranty, I was saddled with a van that kept eating transmissions...

Well the installer was a bit more cool headed than I was. He hooked the OBD-2 diagnostic tool into the port, showed me the code, then erased it. Was the van running ok? Well, yeah but that was how my last transmission failed... with an asymptomatic CEL followed about 2 weeks later by sudden slippage and flashing "D"... He told me to drive it and come back when the CEL came back on - on the off-chance this was a fluke. If there was something wrong with the transmission, the code would just return...

I have now been driving the van for a while. It's now been 3 weeks since the first CEL/TCS code came on. It's been driving okay although I've been very gentle with it... like I'm driving a car made out of crystal and toothpicks... but so far no CEL. I've put on another 500 miles since then.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bumping up to post a follow up to my transmission experience.
...snip... It's been driving okay although I've been very gentle with it... like I'm driving a car made out of crystal and toothpicks... but so far no CEL. I've put on another 500 miles since then.
Start driving it hard! The sooner it breaks the more likely they will fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts