Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally had the time to do the install. the unit looks great. The install went very smoothly. Have posted pictures for all to see. For $300 this unit was a steal. I have not yet installed an ant and the TV reception is quite good. Will do a later post of the VCR/ps2 install and the video junction box I made. Will also type in step by step instructions later. I used harrys and the Honda Ives instructions. The Honda instructions are full of useful information.
www.fototime.com/inv/AFF8502DB28C518

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I snaked the wires down the side pillar behind the seatbelt( same as the Ives) I have the A/V in underneathe the passanger seat. I have built a little junction box for the hookups. It is the levitron modular box. It has four rca hookups 1. Audio in 2. Video in 3&4 the rca inpiuts for the fm modulator. I am installing the pyle hifi vcp fro etronics under the pass seat. I have a psd that i will place under the util tray. With the box I can change the hook ups between the two in seconds. The ps2 is not going to be permanently installed. I will only have a permanent base installed. I am thinking about hard wiring my power converter on top of the ex util tray. Will post pics asap! Harry thanks for all of your help it made my install and hopefully many other installs easier.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great job! For audio did you consider using a multi-source switcher? I'm thinking about putting in a Pioneer CD-VS33 at the back of my center table(http://pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,1429,512,00.html). It provides 3 source selectors with 3 A/V inputs and 2 headphone jacks. I'm hooking up DVD, VHS and portable radio/MP3 player to the input(s). The center selector will be for the overhead video monitor and two side controls for passenger with headphones. This way passengers can listen to the video source, VHS or radio/MP3 seperate from the video.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have looked at that unit it is a little pricey. I do not need that level of switching. I am seriously considering the panasonic 909 dvd/receiver however. If I purchase this unit I will wire it directly to the video unit or use a simple a/b switch for the vcr if I decide to keep the vcr.( This is my most likely scenario if the wife lets me spend the bucks!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I haven't got my monitors yet but I have been thinking of vidoe components for my ody. I bought the Jensen unit for $54 (hehe..very lucky) and the mobile Authority 5.8in Flip Down as well. I too considered a source selector and found this one from Clarion. It is cheaper then the pioneer one but IMOH it's better for my ody. It has 4 inputs,3 outputs, and even a auto trigger for backup camera. It also has three individual control station with headphone jack. This way we can have a control station for each row of seat so people at the back can switch to their source on their own.

My other plans are to hook up a playstaion w/VCD and a VCR to the system. I am thinking of putting one of my home VCR in it, I guess it should work right ? Also, I am thinking of fitting a 6.8in monitor into the radio, then fit the Sony CDX-M620 with TV control into the drawer with two cup holders. That way I hook up the audio to the Sony and listen through the ody's speaker.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rollie66,

Got my Jensen unit and will tackle the install this weekend. Couple of questions...

I'm not real clear on how you attached the mounting plate to the crossbeam. Did you insert a rivet into the beam and connect the butterfly bracket to that? Did you thread the plate or did you use nuts on the top side to connect the unit to the plate?

Also, I see that you are mounting the rest of the electronics under the passenger's seat. Did you have to remove the storage tray or are you driving an LX?

My last question involves power. Did you also go to the fusebox? Which fuse is best to splice into? I would rather have one that is connected to the key switch. Which side of the fuse is protected? Top or bottom?

Sorry for all the questions but the more we can learn from you Pioneers, the easier it is for the rest of us!

Thanks,

Warehouse

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by warehouse:
Rollie66,

Got my Jensen unit and will tackle the install this weekend. Couple of questions...

I'm not real clear on how you attached the mounting plate to the crossbeam. Did you insert a rivet into the beam and connect the butterfly bracket to that? Did you thread the plate or did you use nuts on the top side to connect the unit to the plate?

Also, I see that you are mounting the rest of the electronics under the passenger's seat. Did you have to remove the storage tray or are you driving an LX?

My last question involves power. Did you also go to the fusebox? Which fuse is best to splice into? I would rather have one that is connected to the key switch. Which side of the fuse is protected? Top or bottom?

Sorry for all the questions but the more we can learn from you Pioneers, the easier it is for the rest of us!

Thanks,

Warehouse

</font>
I placed a nut rivet in the top hole. I used a 10-24 bolt through the plate into the nut. The butterfly bracket worked just the opposite. I used the same bolt coming up from the bracket and used a nut on top of the plate. I ran the power cord to the right fuse box and used the radio fuse. I am installing an ashtray with lighter in the next week or two. The ashtrray kit comes with a new wiring harness and I plan to tap into that instead. I am only waiting for the time. I am particpating in a moot court competition and my time is limited over the next three weeks. (The ashtray and harness was only 36 dollars at hondapartsforyou. The list price is over 130. this is a steal I do not smoke however with the ashtray you replace the useless cupholder with another 12 volt outlet. You can remove the ashtray part for a mini storage bin. there is also a change holder in the tray. I noticed that ther is a mini led installed in the ashtray. does anyone know how much light it puts out. I might transfer it to the glove box.)Sorry about the aside. I have not permanently mounted any electronics yet. I have an ex and plan to leave the storage bin in place. There appears to still be room for a VCP. I am going to mount it above the floor so I do not block the heat ducts. I place my playstation under the fold down tray. There is room above the storage bin to place a powere inverter or junction box. Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rollie66:
Well I finally had the time to do the install. the unit looks great. The install went very smoothly. Have posted pictures for all to see.</font>
Thanks for posting the pictures!! Nice Job!!

How long did the whole thing take you? I'm waiting for mine to be delivered and was wondering if I have time to get it installed before a road trip soon.

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is not a very time consuming process if you have all of the parts up front. I would reccomend making the bracket ahead of time. I made the bracket and cut the hole in the headliner one day. About 1 hour total time. The rest of the install is very straight forward. Total time 3-4 hours. I would reccomend placing the screen as far forward as possible. I placed mine about even with the door pillars. The picture is viewed best from straight on. In the second row If you are using a dvd the quality drops off if you move to far towards the window. In the third row there is no problem at all. I find this is also a non issue with vcrs. Maybe the higher resolution of the dvd affects this? Let me no if you have any questions. If you want I can scan my template and email it to anyone interested. Also what Types of players has everyone installed? I have a vcp and a playstation hookup. I have been very happy with the unit. The fact that the unit rotates also makes alot of the previous issues moot. Also you need to install an fm modulator. The sound on the Jensen unit is not sufficient at freeway speeds. Fm mod install less than 1 hour.
P.S. I made the plate out of 16ga steel that I purchased at OSH. It is also available at HD and Lowes. I purchaesd a 6x24 piece for $6 and used aviation snips to cut it. You do not need to cut notches for the wires in the mounting bracket.

[This message has been edited by rollie66 (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you want I can scan my template and email it to anyone interested. Also what Types of players has everyone installed?
</font>
I think this would be helpful to myself and others who have purchased the Jensen unit.

It's people like you and all the others on this forum that help to inspire people like myself to attempt these DIY mods. I wouldn't know where to start otherwise.

As for video sources, I am planning (at least initially) to have the video available only for longer trips. I don't want the kids to get in the habit of watching a video on the way home from day care or school.

I had thought about using household VCR or DVD player with a power inverter. Fry's Electronics has had a refurbished DVD for <$100 and many VCRs go for <$80. I can use these in the house when not going on trips.

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

[This message has been edited by warrenh (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will post a scan tomorrow in the am. I feel that for the cost of a vcr plus power inverter the 115 price at etronics is a deal. Walmart had a symphonic vcp 12 volt on sale for $49.00 all of my local walmarts have sold out. this is a great deal for many people. the wires can go directly to the jensen unit without a powere inverter. Only dvd must play through the stereo( the volume output is much lowere on dvds) If anyone finds any of these units but all of them. Many people in this forum would like to have one. I want one to do an install in my inlaws crown vic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finished up my install this past week. Thanks to rollie66 for all his great tips. The install went pretty smooth but I would have to say that it took me a lot longer than I had hoped. Most of it was because I was a little uncomfortable cutting holes in my new van. I definitely took the measure 6 times, cut once approach.

I am using a mobile DVD player (Farenheit) for my picture. I have a lot of kids shows on Video CD and was hoping that this unit would play them (as advertised). The unit plays DVD's OK but unfortunately, only one of my VCDs will play and it locks up a good bit. I think I will be returning the unit. I'll probably try to find a household unit that's not too big and use a power inverter instead.

Rollie... Where did you stuff all the cables and connectors for the Jensen unit. I shoved them back toward the pass. side under the headliner but now my unit lists a little to the drivers side becasue of the connectors.

Also, I lost my antenna. Is the FM modulator suppose to pass through when it's on or only when it's off? I had it hardwired so I might have to install a switch.

Warehouse

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The FM modulator that I have is a clarion unit and it has a switch. If the Modulator is on the fm radio should not work. I ran all of my wires to the passenger side column. I actually cut a cross in the headliner to make room for the wires. My unit is absolutely flush and does not move at all. I would recommend removing the Jensen unit (only four screws)and seeing where you need room for the wires and cutting an access point for them. this should solve your problem. Once you have cut the headliner another few inches just does not matter. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hey to those who have installed their Jensen unit. I see that whenever I connect the Jense unit to a power source, the red LED lights up. If I keep the Jensen unit conencted with that drain my battery ?

Also, where do you guys connect your Jensen unit and the power supply ?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I see that the Jensen unit has a cable for connecting another monitor. However when I plug in a RCA cable into the connector, nothing shows up on the other monitor. Any ideas ? Have anyone tried this ? Is the connector for connecting RCA cables ?

I now have three monitors but don't know how to hook them up. I plan to use a VCR and a Playstation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will post a scan tomorrow in the am. I feel that for the cost of a vcr plus power inverter... do an install in my inlaws crown vic. </font>
rollie66,
I think your tips are terrific, it makes me feel more comfortable to try the install myself. Could you please tell me how/where to get your template for the Jensen unit?...Also what type of connectors did you use to tap power for the unit?
Thanks!

------------------
2k+1 SS EX

1 - 17 of 17 Posts