Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the rpms get higher before a gear change, I get the loud knocking, then sometimes at the peak of the rpms (i assume, cause there is no tach) it will act like a governor is stopping the motor. It feels like a jolt or hiccup. Then I release the pedal and the tranny shifts. I have fixed this in the past by resetting ecu, but it did not fix it last night.

This 1995 ody DOES NOT have a cat. There is a straight pipe where a cat should be. I discovered this accidentally because the autozone code reader said I as throwing a bank 1 downstream 02 sensor. i could only find 1 sensor, the 1st one right after the downpipe. i ordered the bank 1 2nd downstream or whatever it called. i rented the open ended 02 sensor tool from autozone, and attempted to install it, but low and behold the connectors did not match up. After weeks of emailing the guy on ebay to find out why it's not fitting, i got under the van and found an electrical connection dangling under the van. i discovered that this is where the 2nd o2 sensor is supposed to plug in at. so, that's next on my list is to buy a replacement catalytic converter.

so, right now, i am driving this thing without a 2nd 02 sensor which is supposed to measure how much left over fuel is coming through the cat to determine how to adjust the air / fuel mixture ( i assume ??) .

So, i'm wondering if the motor could be running too lean causing the pinging at high rpm ?

I have new:
plugs (ngk with correct gap .044), wires, cap, rotor, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, starter, radiator, re-manufactured head (i adjusted valves), i think that's it. van runs good on highway. cruise works good.

i have put so much time and money into this lemon, i don't want to give up, but wish i would have gotten a 1998 with vtec and 2.3. gotta love hindsight.

thanks for the help....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just got the codes read at autozone. i am pulling a 02 sensor, which im getting cause the whole cat and 02 sensor is missing. some genius put a straight pipe in instead of the cat. the other code is a P1361 - interrmittent interruption in the TDC 1 sensor circuit. i will check it out tomorrow.

here's a video link showing the motor noise and the intermitant hesitation that i have been living with on and off for 6 months.

Honda Odyssey :: IMG_1623.mp4 video by mistablake - Photobucket

any help is appreciated.

thanks......

·
Registered
947 Posts
If yours is a 1995 then it is OBD1 and only has 1 O2 sensor which is located upstream (before) the catalytic converter. It is located like you said, right after the down pipe. The '96 and later Odysseys are OBD2 and have the secondary O2 sensor which merely tells the computer if the cat is functioning properly. Removing the cat on your van should not set off any codes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I must have had a brain fart. Yes, You are correct, it is a 1996. The cat is missing (straight pipe), the o2 sensor is missing, and I am throwing a code.

I did some searching online and found that the intermittent code could be a bad TDC sensor, which I replaced a few months ago. It also said the connection could be bad. I pulled the connection apart and cleaned it with carb cleaner. So far so good.

Replaced the timing belt tensioner pulley, Noise is still there. Buddy said it could be rod knock. Can anyone confirm rod knock on an odyssey ? 1996 with 200k miles.

More to come...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this is an old thread but it was the one with the most pertinent info that came up on a search .
I'm 1800 away from 300k miles and the CEL rears its ugly head along with the engine/tranny hiccup as described below(minus the loud knocking). Code is the P1361 "intermittent interruption in the TDC 1 sensor circuit". Gonna try resetting ecu tonight before starting to trace wires & connectors & sensors.
Any tips from the Best&Brightest?
Thanks,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I didn't reset the ecu, I used the OBDII reader to clear the code & after about 50 miles of driving it hasn't came back & everything is back to normal for now. We'll see how long it last. It's amazing how a sensor fault can make the problem seem like a totally different issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts