Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 2014 Odyssey is at the dealer right now because I would accelerate, then upon what would be the next gear shift, there would be a jerking with a loud banging noise. My 3 kids were in the van at the time & heard/felt it as well, so not knowing if it was safe to drive I drove back home. It started less than 5 minutes into our drive (so I had stop/go a few times already), then did it the whole way there & back until we got about two long blocks from home, then it was smooth.

The dealer can't find anything wrong & I don't want it back until it's fixed.

Can anyone tell me if they've experienced this & what fixed it?

The van has 38K miles & the VCM has not been disabled.

Thanks please!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Could be a transmission pressure switch. Seems it's not uncommon for them to start giving out without throwing a check engine light at first. Was it happening in the same gear or about the same speed every time?

Have you ever changed the transmission fluid? If not it is definitely due.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Could be a transmission pressure switch. Seems it's not uncommon for them to start giving out without throwing a check engine light at first. Was it happening in the same gear or about the same speed every time?

Have you ever changed the transmission fluid? If not it is definitely due.

Yes, it has been; a little on decelerating as well, but not nearly as much.

Thanks, yes, the fluid is being changed.
Edit: they've been checking everything & apparently all is coming up fine

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the transmission service bulletin, which includes changing the fluid 3 times and updating the software has been done? If not, have them start with that. Tell them it judders when shifting. The warranty on that is extended to 80k/8years

Then muzzle it.
Had the judder issue previously, & that had been fixed. Fluid has been changed (already had been 3x prior), they checked over everything (computers said nothing wrong), drove it several times, & of course, it did nothing. It was due for brakes & an oil change so all that was done & I have it back. Drove it briefly yesterday & it was okay, but I'm not convinced the issue was addressed yet. So I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
+1 on the pressure switch on its way out.

is it doing this?

Follow MrRangers youtube channel, lots of good posts of common issues with these odysseys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue last winter, jumps the entire car when shifting to second. They flushed it and did the software update. Through summer happens a few times a month. Now with the colder weather does it every single time I drive it. Honda dealer said I need a new transmission...not covered under warranty with only 72,000 miles on it. I’m at a loss of what else to do!

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do know an independent mechanic who was helpful with another issue the dealer didn't help with, so hopefully he can help with the switch.
Also, reg. the VCM that needs to be disabled, I know there's been so many discussions on the boards about it. Is there one place I can be directed to, or someone can tell me exactly what I need to buy? I don't know cars & will be taking that to the mechanic to install as well.
There's an extended warranty on the van, not sure if it will be a problem for that but regardless I know it needs to be disabled.
thanks again

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are 2 modern disabling devices. Recommend one of these over the older "muzzlers"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are 2 modern disabling devices. Recommend one of these over the older "muzzlers"
Thank you!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have to take my engine compartment apart to do the transmission filter, should I change out the switch just because. I don't have the shifting issue in the video above, but there is a rough shifting at times.

·
Registered
14,465 Posts
I think you may have been asked this in other threads: Have you had the transmission software update? What is the trans fluid service history. Always start with fluid. This is a repair that is only necessary if one has the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They did the fluid for us, said the switches would be over $1K, & didn't recommend doing anything that wasn't needed. Another mechanic agreed, but wouldn't look at the van. So today it's at another independent mechanic who did a thorough look over & still didn't find anything, & also doesn't recommend doing anything that isn't presenting as a problem at the moment. So that's where we're at with it now.

Mechanic (who used to work at Honda), is also not recommending disabling the VCM. Said it might help with the transmission but could cause engine problems down the line because things won't work as were intended. So now I don't know what to do about that either.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
They did the fluid for us, said the switches would be over $1K, & didn't recommend doing anything that wasn't needed. Another mechanic agreed, but wouldn't look at the van. So today it's at another independent mechanic who did a thorough look over & still didn't find anything, & also doesn't recommend doing anything that isn't presenting as a problem at the moment. So that's where we're at with it now.

Mechanic (who used to work at Honda), is also not recommending disabling the VCM. Said it might help with the transmission but could cause engine problems down the line because things won't work as were intended. So now I don't know what to do about that either.
listen to advice from owners and experienced technicians who know these vehicles.
aka this forum.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,176 Posts
This mechanic is an idiot who doesn't understand what he's talking about. There's more than a few of those around. Ignore him.

·
Registered
14,465 Posts
I don't know if I would go as far as calling him an idiot. Using a device to disable the VCM does sound like snake oil to many.
In this case I would take the fresh fluid as maybe the fix. All these newbies must realize that, just because they did get the trans TSB, that does not mean that the fluid does not still need to be regularly changed. The factory service interval is every 30k. That is a minimum. If you want to keep your van long term, change it every 15k. It is quite possible that the pressure switch gets gummed up with bad fluid. I would not be paying to have it changed unless it was happening repeatedly with fresh fluid. If it is really an issue, it will be back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think you may have been asked this in other threads: Have you had the transmission software update? What is the trans fluid service history. Always start with fluid. This is a repair that is only necessary if one has the problem.
Egads, I have a 15. We've not heard anything about a software update. We are pushing 153k so probably wouldn't do it anyway due to the miles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts