Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my son took his 2001 Odyssey to the Jiffy Lube on RT9 in Shrewsbury, MA for its first oil change. It cost $30.00.
He then left for NJ on business and stopped by in PA to visit briefly.
When he mentioned that he had just had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube, I asked him if he had checked things out after they were done. He said no.
Even though it was 10:00 pm, I went out and looked at the van. The oil was 1/2 inch above the top hole on the dipstick. This is a significant overfill.
When I looked at the filter, I found it dripping oil and there was oil all over the underside of the van.
I had to put the van up on ramps and found the No-Name-Brand-That-I-Ever-Heard-Of (motorguard) oil filter barely hand tight. I tried searching the internet for the brand name and part number for this filter but found nothing. As soon as I tried to remove it, the gasket rolled right out of its groove.
I replaced this cheap filter with an AC #PF1127. I keep these on hand for use in our other Hondas. Good thing.
This cheap filter had obviously been improperly installed and the installer obviously didn't do the "start engine and check for leaks" step that is universally recomended after changing the oil.
Jiffy Lube didn't use the official Honda aluminum crush washer under the oil pan drain plug either. Some green colored gasket was in there but it wasn't leaking so I let it alone.
I seriously doubt the drain plug was tightened to the 34ft/lb torque spec so important for drain plugs in cast aluminum oil pans.
It is only great good luck that the filter gasket didn't blow completely out somewhere on the interstate last night leaving my son stranded at best and stranded with a fried motor at worst. For what it's worth.
Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Several years ago I took a car to one of the fast lube places because I was in a hurry. I didn't see anything wrong with their work at the time, but the next time I changed the oil I found that they had overtightened the drain plug to the point that I felt lucky the threads hadn't stripped. Never again.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 OdyEX MB

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I got a coupon in the mail for a $19.99 oil change from a local Honda dealer. I consider that a great alternative for someone that doesn't like to do the dirty work themselves.

I personally like to tinker with everthing I own. I'd rather take that $20 and get Mobil 1 and a Honda filter.

I can't wait to find the 5 quart Mobil 1 container at Walmart for $14.89 again. I'll be loading a buggy up.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jiffy Lube either doesn't train their people or hires only the braindead. I brought my first brand new car right out of college for its first oil change to a Jiffy Lube. After I got home, when I was heading out later that day, I just luckily happened to notice a little puddle under the front of the car. I checked it out and saw the same thing, oil was dripping all over the filter. I touched it and it wasn't even hand-tight. I was never so BS at what would inevitably have happened sometime in the next day or so.

From then on I vowed never to use that crappy company ever again. Once I relayed the story at work, everyone either had a horror story that happened to them or someone they know. Some included having to fight JiffyLube to pay for a new engine. 1) You'd think they'd learn, and 2) this isn't rocket science. Can you tell I don't like them?

BTW I live one over from Shrewsbury (but that's not the Jiffy Lube I used). I now bring my cars to my local garage that I trust or the dealer.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
That's exactly why I try not to have any strange hands of brain-dead people touch my vehicles. If I can do it, I will.If it's something major and I don't have the tools for it ,THEN I (God forbid) take it to a shop. I've done all the oil changes in all the vehicles we've gone through, used or not. I like getting down and dirty !

------------------
Rob/'01 GG LX

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow.. Jiffy lube sucks. I had similar expierences here. We had a filter changed once. poped the hood in their parking lot, wow, the wing nuts weren't even on. jeez. they spilled my coffee too. crapiest place i have ever seen.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Also avoid quickie-lube-o-matic places if you vehicle has an external spin-on transmission filter. Fortunately, they can't screw that one up on the Odyssey...

·
Registered
460 Posts
sdp said:
Jiffy Lube either doesn't train their people or hires only the braindead. Steve
I had been using a Jiffy Lube for my older vehicles since it was very conveniently located. I find they typically spill some oil on the cross member which continues to dribble oil for a day or two.

After one visit, I noticed my wife's Camry was handling strangely so I checked the tire pressure. Driver's side was 45 psi but the passenger side only 24 psi!.:eek: I corrected the tires to the Toyota factory specs (26 psi f/r) and started checking after subsequent services.

During one checkout the service guy was going over the services completed and proudly said the tires were inflated to 42 psi. I asked (in front of the other customers), "Why?" He sheepishly said that was Toyota's recommendation. An argument pursued during which I pointed out the sticker in the glove box which spec'd the tire pressure. I asked that they bleed off the excess pressure at which point the service guy left muttering something under his breath.

All this was going on during the Firestone/Explorer flap and you would think that at least some effort to determine the right pressure would be used. I'm surprise how many people think the max pressure on the sideway is the correct pressure.

Anyway, I complained to JL's regional manager who apologized and sent a free coupon.

I still have the coupon and won't go near a Jiffy Lube ever again - especially with a newer vehicle. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
512 Posts
I remember when we were teenagers and one of my friends got a job there. He arrived at work first thing in the morning as expected, proceeded to work on his own car "for practice", did his oil, trans, and differential.............. and then quit. HHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
All he needed was some free maintainance!
Point is, this is the caliber of people that apply there!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Found your Jiffy Lube Experience not any better then what you get at some dealers.

Since the Engine Oil & Filter service is a low profit margin items they will not put the best man on the job. They will usually get the trainee or the guys that washes the cars usually to do this service.

There is a fact about the mechanics in the industry. Very few are well trained and competent compared to the percentage of inapt mechanics out there.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

RobertC

·
0 Posts
PipeMajor said:

Anyway, I complained to JL's regional manager who apologized and sent a free coupon.
So that they can make the same mistakes again:D ? I'd stay away from JL unless you don't care about your car. They sure don't:D !

·
Registered
568 Posts
At least they clean your window and vacuum your interior!

·
Registered
17 Posts
They never do Hondas right. I stopped taking my Accord to JL when they did not put the washer on the drain plug and I'd get oil spots. I figured it out after several JL changes, when I complained to the dealer during a maintenance interval, no washer (another Honda quirck like the timing belt) was put on.

Besides, JL here is $30.00 and my Honda dealer is $24.99 with their quick change, that's a no-brainer.:stupid:

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
"S**T" can happen at ANY facility and owners should learn enough about their rides that they can check them out a bit after the service. I know, one shouldn't have to do that, but, it is a fact of life. I once had a dealer lube fella get ready to start my car with no oil in it. That was in the days when one could still venture out into the shop (I still push that issue and go there whenever I can) and I stopped him. A friend of mine once took his nearly new car in for an oil change and the oil plug was not tightened. He lost the plug before making the twenty mile trip home and ruined the engine. Of course, the dealer repaired the car, but, what a pain. :rolleyes:

Jerry O.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts