Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm moving this post from the "Introduce Yourself" Forum, I hope now it's correct.

My name is Fernando and I am about to purchase (maybe in December) an '08 Touring Odyssey and I'm very excited about that due to it will be my first Minivan but I have some doubts regarding this model.

I've been doing some research here and my main concern is regarding VCM. I'm from Mexico, so I'm not very sure if all the information applies the same (in my understanding, engine and transmission are the same for MEX and USA market).

The van has 93k miles, the previous owner is a friend of mine and he bought it at a Honda dealership from the used section (so hopefully only 2 previous owners), and according to him, there is no issue with this, so far he has only changed the battery once, but no problem with the VCM.

So, with this said, should I buy a VCM Muzzler? Or maybe all my understanding is wrong and we don't have that engine here hahaha o_O

I'm planning on having this van for around 3 or 5 years but if I like it, I may end keeping it, anyway, I want to treat her well.

Finally, if there are some other tips or first steps that you can recommend to me for this model, you're welcome!

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Yes, buy a Muzzler or VCMTunerII. I own the same vehicle and have owned it since new. It's been the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Reactions: FGalvan

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
As said, definitely muzzle the VCM function.

Also, your new Odyssey may be due for a new timing belt. I'm guessing it is still the original at that low mieleage. But based on age, it is overdue to be replaced. This is typically a $1,000 (US dollars) job.

If you need to do this, please buy the Aisin timing belt kit.

Welcome to this forum!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As said, definitely muzzle the VCM function.

Also, your new Odyssey may be due for a new timing belt. I'm guessing it is still the original at that low mileage. But based on age, it is overdue to be replaced. This is typically a $1,000 (US dollars) job.

If you need to do this, please buy the Aisin timing belt kit.

Welcome to this forum!!
Thanks for the tip, I have also seen in another post that it is recommended to change the Spark plugs and serpentine belt when doing this job (in fact, I think you mentioned that in that post), would you recommend this also?

I want to be prepared to have the best possible start with my Ody.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Yes, I would recommend new spark plugs and serpentine belt. That is all maintenance that is typically done at the 100,000 mile mark.

I also recommend that you get a new thermostat and replace that along with a coolant flush as part of the timing belt job.

Lastly, do a transmission fluid drain and fill.

Make sure your tires and brakes are good, also replace air filters, (both engine and cabin filters) and do an oil change.

Those are the basic things that come to mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I would recommend new spark plugs and serpentine belt. That is all maintenance that is typically done at the 100,000 mile mark.

I also recommend that you get a nee thermostat and replace that along with a coolant flush as part of the timing belt job.

Lastly, do a transmission fluid drain and fill.

Make sure your tires and brakes are good, also replace air filters, (both engine and cabin filters) and do an oil change.

Those are the basic things that come to mind.
Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Be very particular about the new spark plugs. Make sure you get the exact OEM Iridium NGK spark plugs specified for your vehicle. Buy from a reputable place. Do not buy from Amazon or eBay. Lots of counterfeit plugs sold there.

For coolant, get the genuine Honda blue coolant.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great news! Today I went to see the van and could confirm that the timing belt has already been replaced at 75k miles (now has 93k) :)

So now pending items would be:
-VCM Tuner
-Spark plugs
-Engine and cabin air filters
-ATF drain & fill
-New Thermostat

Is that right or am I missing something?

Also thanks a lot everyone for your help!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
The thermostat is usually replaced in conjunction with the timing belt job out of convenience since access is provided and the coolant has to be drained. If you don’t have to replace the timing belt I would not worry about the thermostat. Take it off your list.

I would add serpentine belt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The thermostat is usually replaced in conjunction with the timing belt job out of convenience since access is provided and the coolant has to be drained. If you don’t have to replace the timing belt I would not worry about the thermostat. Take it off your list.

I would add serpentine belt.
Oh, now that you mention it I think I have already read about that (in on of your answers on the formun) so yes, I think I'll leave the thermostat and check the serpentine belt.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,047 Posts
Do you know what was changed along with the timing belt and what parts were used?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

Yesterday I went again to see the van and confirmed some points:

1) Timing Belt was done with Honda dealer parts (should I worry or not?)
2) Spark Plugs have already been replaced but I'm thinking of confirming how they look when I get the van; do you know which cylinders disconnect when VCM is working? This is in order to confirm which ones should have more use due to the previous owner had VCM on.
3) Current owner uses Mobil 1, 0W20 oil for the engine, should I keep using that or should I change to 5W20 as the manual says (also, I have read recommendations to use Castrol oil)? I'm planning on changing it for a fresh start.
4) Finally, Is there any recommendation for engine and cabin filter brands?

Thanks for all the help so far, I'm very close to getting that Ody :D

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
My replies:

1) Honda parts are good. Sometimes Honda dealers do not replace the water pump as a routine part of timing belt job.
2) I do not recall; If you do replace spark plugs replace all six with the correct NGK Iridium plugs. Don't buy them from Amazon or ebay.
3) 0W20 and 5W20 are almost the same; either viscosity is good.
4) I don't think it matters much on brand for engine and cabin air filters. I like Wix, but have used Fram also.

Remember to muzzle VCM and do a transmission fluid drain and fill.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My replies:

1) Honda parts are good. Sometimes Honda dealers do not replace the water pump as a routine part of timing belt job.
2) I do not recall; If you do replace spark plugs replace all six with the correct NGK Iridium plugs. Don't buy them from Amazon or ebay.
3) 0W20 and 5W20 are almost the same; either viscosity is good.
4) I don't think it matters much on brand for engine and cabin air filters. I like Wix, but have used Fram also.

Remember to muzzle VCM and do a transmission fluid drain and fill.
Thanks again for the help and your quick answer!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,047 Posts
I used Fram for the Cabin Air Filter in my Ody and Accord and EPAuto for the engine air filter in the Ody. No issues.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,047 Posts
Sure. Another thing you might want to keep in mind is that one of the screws for the engine air filter box is located right near the positive battery cable and it can be hard to get a socket on it, so you might want to figure that out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts