Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Post for me. Thank you for the outstanding information on this site. I look forward to becoming a contributing member of this community. I have searched for this situation on the site and have not found anyone else that has the "judder" issue after Torque Converter" replacement.

I have a 2008 Ex-L with about 23k miles. I have experienced the tranny "Judder" since day one. I have had the van back to the dealership approx. 7 times to diagnose and remedy the problem.
So far they have -
* "re-flashed the computer twice
* installed a new torque converter

The Judder has not gone away. It's changed, but it's still there. It nows happens at all speed ranges. It happens in OD and D3. It used to only be in that 30 mph range. Now it happens at low speeds (30ish) and also happens at highway crusing speeds (70 ish). My van is currently at the dealership where they are doing a more thorough investigation. They needed to keep it today so they could talk to the engineers at Honda corporate in So. Cal.

Has anyone else experienced a continuation of the "Judder" after replacement of the Torque Converter?

I've also experience the standard list of TSB adjustments......i.e. mushy brake peddle (fixed), excessive wind noise at the front window and front passenger window (trim replaced). I've also had issues with excessive tire wear. I had to replace the OEM Michelins at 18k due to incorrect camber / toe in wearing. The van has been aligned a few times to correct. Anyone else have that problem? (the dealer met me half way on a new set of tires).

Thank you...Happy New Year!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
My 08 Touring has the judder after torque converter (TC) replacement. I am approaching 1yr/~16K miles on my new TC.

I have had 3 software updates and 1 TC replacement to date:

1 from the initial 09-053 TSB release from July 2009 with original TC.

1 prior to the TSB update (as a pre-release) with original TC.

1 from the TSB update from May 2010 (official release) with second TC. I already had about 4 months on the TC.

After TC replacement, things were feeling good. Then, over time, the judder started to return gradually and is getting bad again, just as before.

I will be bringing my Ody back to the dealer again before reaching 60K, as the powertrain warranty expires, even though I have HondaCare. I currently have 30% oil life remaining on the maintenance minder and will see if the 3 service pops up or if it will hit next oil change.

So, I think we are 2 examples that the judder issue is not fixed yet, even with TC replacement. I am not sure if the sequence of events matters or not.

I still have not yet seen a new part number for a re-designed TC yet either. Honda issued TSB 00-038 for the 1999-2000 Accord V6 in the past with a similar issue. In that case, they changed the TC with a new part, but the PCMs were not reflashable back then.

Very dissapointing from Honda.

The mods may merge this thread with the big one. Better to keep everything in one place for the full perspective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
If it were mine, I'd do one drain/fill cycle with something like Valvoline Maxlife ATF and see if the concern goes away. I believe the majority of these issues are because of Honda ATF Z-1 fluid.

Warranty concerns? I suppose, but Maxlife is suitable for Z-1 use and the chances of them knowing you've got ~40-50% of it in there would be nill.

I know the trans in my 2008 LX became MUCH more tolerable when I switched it out to Maxlife 1.5yrs and ~20K miles ago.

Joel
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
MTPockets08 said:
If it were mine, I'd do one drain/fill cycle with something like Valvoline Maxlife ATF and see if the concern goes away. I believe the majority of these issues are because of Honda ATF Z-1 fluid.

Warranty concerns? I suppose, but Maxlife is suitable for Z-1 use and the chances of them knowing you've got ~40-50% of it in there would be nill.

I know the trans in my 2008 LX became MUCH more tolerable when I switched it out to Maxlife 1.5yrs and ~20K miles ago.

Joel
I would try the new Honda ATF DW-1 synthetic fluid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP here. Just got a call from the dealership. Honda engineers authorized another new TC.....second one. It should be done tomorrow. Hopefully this will fix it. New TC, new tranny fluid and new alignment....this better work. This deal is getting old in a hurry. If not, I'm afraid that I may have to honor my wife's request to check out a new Subaru....and trade out of the Ody.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Good luck let us know what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Lemon?

HuckFinn - if you've been to the dealer that many times and it isn't fixed, look into the lemon law within your state.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
We got a 07. got the 1st update, got new torque converter , and also got the newest update, the judder still there. For the alignment I took our Ody in 4 times, their still can't get it. I end up do my own alignment, with the alignment bolts from honda. Due to - 2.75 left front camber. Let us know if the 2nd TC fix it.


HuckFinn410 said:
First Post for me. Thank you for the outstanding information on this site. I look forward to becoming a contributing member of this community. I have searched for this situation on the site and have not found anyone else that has the "judder" issue after Torque Converter" replacement.

I have a 2008 Ex-L with about 23k miles. I have experienced the tranny "Judder" since day one. I have had the van back to the dealership approx. 7 times to diagnose and remedy the problem.
So far they have -
* "re-flashed the computer twice
* installed a new torque converter

The Judder has not gone away. It's changed, but it's still there. It nows happens at all speed ranges. It happens in OD and D3. It used to only be in that 30 mph range. Now it happens at low speeds (30ish) and also happens at highway crusing speeds (70 ish). My van is currently at the dealership where they are doing a more thorough investigation. They needed to keep it today so they could talk to the engineers at Honda corporate in So. Cal.

Has anyone else experienced a continuation of the "Judder" after replacement of the Torque Converter?

I've also experience the standard list of TSB adjustments......i.e. mushy brake peddle (fixed), excessive wind noise at the front window and front passenger window (trim replaced). I've also had issues with excessive tire wear. I had to replace the OEM Michelins at 18k due to incorrect camber / toe in wearing. The van has been aligned a few times to correct. Anyone else have that problem? (the dealer met me half way on a new set of tires).

Thank you...Happy New Year!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP here again with a follow up.

I picked up the van last night after the 2nd new Torque Converter was installed. I only got a chance for a brief test on the way home but it seems like to "Judder" has been fixed. It feels like a new van! I hate to jinx it but so far it seems perfect.....better than new!

The service advisor told me that they are replacing the TC's on all 07 and 08 vans. So why no recall? As mentioned previously on this site, it seems like Honda is putting their customers through the "song and dance" of reflashing the computer a couple of times before replacing the TC. Not a very customer centric plan if you ask me. Customers that pay $30k for a vehicle should not then need to serve as the test dummies for an engineering / quality control mistake.

Oh well....at this point the van runs well. I plan to take it on longer test cruise this weekend.

Thank you
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
HuckFinn410 said:
OP here again with a follow up.

I picked up the van last night after the 2nd new Torque Converter was installed. I only got a chance for a brief test on the way home but it seems like to "Judder" has been fixed. It feels like a new van! I hate to jinx it but so far it seems perfect.....better than new!

The service advisor told me that they are replacing the TC's on all 07 and 08 vans. So why no recall? As mentioned previously on this site, it seems like Honda is putting their customers through the "song and dance" of reflashing the computer a couple of times before replacing the TC. Not a very customer centric plan if you ask me. Customers that pay $30k for a vehicle should not then need to serve as the test dummies for an engineering / quality control mistake.

Oh well....at this point the van runs well. I plan to take it on longer test cruise this weekend.

Thank you
Thanks for the update. My Ody felt good too for awhile after TC replacement, but it did not last. Time will tell.

Please post the torque converter part number and ATF part number used in the repair, so we can see if the TC is the same (26000-RGW-305) or a new part and if they used the new ATF DW-1 fluid (08200-9008) this time around vs. the ATF Z-1 (08200-9001)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EE4Life said:
Thanks for the update. My Ody felt good too for awhile after TC replacement, but it did not last. Time will tell.

Please post the torque converter part number and ATF part number used in the repair, so we can see if the TC is the same (26000-RGW-305) or a new part and if they used the new ATF DW-1 fluid (08200-9008) this time around vs. the ATF Z-1 (08200-9001)
As requested, here are the part #'s
TC Part # 26000 RGW 305

ATF # Z1 08200 9001

OP here again with a follow up.

I took a long drive with the van yesterday. Judder is still there, although less. i suspect that it will increase as time goes by. After spending way too much time dealing with this issue, I either need to trade out of the van of just except that it will not be perfect. I had hoped to get at least 100k+ miles out of this van. I am not confident at this point.

My impression of the tranny situation is this...
This van is too heavy for it's transmission
The gear ration is way too high for the engine to run effectively.
The whole VCM application is junk. I can feel each time it changes. Way more technology than is necessary.
The VCM doesn't yield any better MPG than a properly geared V6 engine from other manufacturers. It didn't work for GM in the 80's, it doesn't work now.

I had higher hopes from Honda. The first Honda I drove 20 years ago, the wheel feel off at 60 mph the second day I owned it (used Accord). That might have been an omen. This expensive purhase has been a dissapointment. My family has had Honda's for years and loves them.

Thanks...Have a great Sunday!

Go Chiefs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I'm new to this forum after just having picked up my 05 EX with 91k kms on it. I needed to upgrade from my 09 GE8 Fit as my delivery business got really busy soon after it's inception. That, and I've always wanted a 3rd Gen Ody. :)

My issue is this. I too am experiencing this "judder" I have no service records to see if anything has ever been done about it. Since the OP has gone through an ordeal only to find that this problem persists, I have come to the conclusion that the problem is related to the Z1 fluid.

Since I put about 300 urban kilometers on my van every single day, my Odyssey is my meal ticket. I want to expunge the Z1 pronto. I need (and expect) this transmission to last at least 300,000 kilometers. Should I be a test-pilot on the new DW-1 in our 3rd gens to see if it deals with the judder, or should I go straight to the Amsoil synthetic that others have been raving about?

I'm probably going to try the DW-1 and see if it solves the problem and if it doesn't I will switch to the Amsoil, but I would appreciate your guy's input as I have found this forum to be an invaluable resource for myself.

On a side note, I do not intend to hijack this thread in any way but I think my question is in line with the topic and I'd like to keep all the info in one place.

Cheers,

Jibber
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top