Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is one for you....
My 2 yr old loves to play in the van, so thursday I am installing the mud guards (make sure you have a stub screwdriver) and he is having a great time. That night we all fly to Florida (left the van at home) come back Monday morning and the nothing works - I mean nothing- on the van. Seems the little stinker hit the switch that leaves the interior lights on. Battery dead as a doornail. All of 140 miles on the van.

Easy enough..just jump start. But the van is in garage front first and it wont shift out of park for me to push it out to jump start. 20 foot jumper cables are no where to be found in my world.

Luckily i was able to squeeeeze the other car close enough to get the cables to just reach. But my question is how can you..or can you?....shift gears with a dead battery. Didnt see it covered in the owners manuel.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Check the forum; you need to pop off the little cover on top of the steering column and insert a key (or screwdriver) into it; this will allow you to shift out of park.

·
Registered
585 Posts
PS I guess this pretty well answers my question in regards to 'reworked wiring for interior lights' for 02s!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is another option...it may be possible to let the battery 'revive' itself to a certain extent by simply turning off any power draining things(lights, close doors, radio etc). Letting the car sit for about 10min might let the battery get enough juice back to allow you to release the solenoid that holds the brake pedal over-ride when in the run position. You may find that there is enough juice after 30min to actually turn the motor. This works well on new batteries especially if you ever go to the mall or somewhere and lose the battery while out....you simply turn off whatever was draining it, wait 10-15min, then give it a try!

·
Registered
596 Posts
One of the better options is to have a battery charger around the garage. Of course, you must have time to let it charge, unless you have a "big guy" which can give you a quick boost. If you employ a charger, you should use one which does a slow charge, since fast charges are very hard on a battery. When you jump start a car, it ends up getting a fast charge from its own system and would have been better served by giving it a slow charge with a charger. Of course, you have to be one of us retired guys to do that on a work day, Hee! Hee!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
55 Posts
you could also have tried one of those $40 or so 12 volt power supplies that have jumper cables - they're good for powering 12 volt devices, and can supposedly boost the car - even if the boost isn't enough to start, it should help the shift lever out - i'md definatly going to read the manual about shifting without juice though...
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by txjim:
Here is one for you....
My 2 yr old loves to play in the van, so thursday I am installing the mud guards (make sure you have a stub screwdriver) and he is having a great time. That night we all fly to Florida (left the van at home) come back Monday morning and the nothing works - I mean nothing- on the van. Seems the little stinker hit the switch that leaves the interior lights on. Battery dead as a doornail. All of 140 miles on the van.

Easy enough..just jump start. But the van is in garage front first and it wont shift out of park for me to push it out to jump start. 20 foot jumper cables are no where to be found in my world.

Luckily i was able to squeeeeze the other car close enough to get the cables to just reach. But my question is how can you..or can you?....shift gears with a dead battery. Didnt see it covered in the owners manuel.

</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts