Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are jumper cables interchangeable? For example, I know you are supposed to connect the positive terminal of a dead battery to the positive terminal of a good battery, but what if you use the black jumper cable to do that, instead of the red one? Will that cause a problem?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Red to positve black to ground. If you do black to positive, then red to ground. Not sure why you would want to mess with the rules of the universe though. ;)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Are you asking if you could use the negative side of the cable to connect the positive side of the dead battery to the positive side of a good battery?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Hooking the red to neg on one car leads to the chance of inadvertably crossing the cables on the other car which will blow both batteries apart spewing acid and sparks all over you and the cars. Use the cables as color coded. Connect red cable to dead battery then to the good battery then connect black cable to the dead battery and the last connect the BLACK CAVLE TO THE FRAME OR ENGINE BLOCK OF THE GOOD CAR. Never make the last connection to the good battery.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kscha41 said:
Are you asking if you could use the negative side of the cable to connect the positive side of the dead battery to the positive side of a good battery?
yes, that is what I'm asking. I know it isn't the way it is normally done, but would it hurt anything as long as positve was connected to positive? I would think the inside of the black cable has the same properties as the inside of the red cable.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
William Wiles said:
Hooking the red to neg on one car leads to the chance of inadvertably crossing the cables on the other car which will blow both batteries apart spewing acid and sparks all over you and the cars. Use the cables as color coded. Connect red cable to dead battery then to the good battery then connect black cable to the dead battery and the last connect the BLACK CAVLE TO THE FRAME OR ENGINE BLOCK OF THE GOOD CAR. Never make the last connection to the good battery.
I believe this is wrong. You should ground on the dead battery's car, not on the good car. Also, the Ody has a grounding strap that should be used, instead of the engine block.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
taxman said:
yes, that is what I'm asking. I know it isn't the way it is normally done, but would it hurt anything as long as positve was connected to positive? I would think the inside of the black cable has the same properties as the inside of the red cable.
I also think they are the same and you shouldn't have a problem as long as you keep the pos. terimal with the pos. terimal and the neg with the neg.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
taxman said:
I believe this is wrong. You should ground on the dead battery's car, not on the good car. Also, the Ody has a grounding strap that should be used, instead of the engine block.
It is immaterial which you connect to last as long as the last connection is made to the engine or frame and not directly to the body. I prefer it as I wrote as I usually connect both cables to the dead battery first thenconnect the red to the good car and then the black to the engine of the supplying car. With todays electronics I seldom jumper the cars but prefer hooking a charger to it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
There's no difference between the black cable and the red cable except for the color of the insulation. The electrons don't know what color insulation is on the wire they're travelling through. So sure, you could reverse the color code from standard.

But at both batteries, the cables and posts are normally coded black and red according to the standard. It's less confusing to stick with the standard. And it may be a safety issue if both drivers are out of their cars looking under the hoods, because the other guy may not realize you're flipping the cables around.

Dealing with very high currents next to battery acid is dangerous enough when everybody is trying to play by the established rules. No sense making it harder than it has to be. Use red for positive, black for negative.

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
A handy mnemonic: "Bad to good, good to bad, last hookup is black cable to frame". It mirrors what a lot of instructions say on that little tag (made of near-indestructible paper) that is usually attached to a set of cables.

Either way, there's lots of good common sense in all of these posts. Use the established standards, don't get confused by doing it too differently, be safe.

OF

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can switch cable colors and use red for negative, black for positive. If you do it the same on both ends you will have no troubles. Last connection to block/frame/grounding strap is to prevent creating a spark in the vicinity of the top of the battery. Hydrogen gas may be present near the top of the battery. If it ignites and the flame propagates into the air space at the top of the battery cells, the battery may suffer an energetic disassembly and blow plastic fragments and sulfuric acid into one's face. Battery acid in the eye is quite painful (yes, personal experience).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Absolutely nothing would happen. It's merely a universal identifier just for not to get lost or incorrectly connect. It's been agreed that with DC and even AC Power?Electricity that RED refers to Active Power"POSITIVE: and BLACK or BLUE for Negative. Its as simple as that!!!

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
Holy "thread that has arisen from the dead", Batman! :cool:

OF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts