Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey:

Just wanted to get some feedback. I bought an 05 odyssey EX and they threw in oil changes for life. When I asked them what oil they said Quaker state. Then I wondered if the dealer was wise and all knowing, why would they use Quaker state in their oil changes? Is this worth it?

thanks,

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Most dealerships use whatever bulk oil they can get for the best price. Mine uses basic valvoline. I had my oil tested using their oil change at the MM interval and the oil was perfectly fine (somewhere around 6,500 miles). I personally don't think it would matter if you're changing it regularly and on schedule with the MM. Did they say it was free based on the MM interval or a mileage? If they're offering to do it every 3k, 4k, etc. it wouldn't matter if they used no-name oil IMHO. Of course there's additional hassle with taking the car in more often and the fact that these free oil changes tend to produce more money for the dealer anyway.

The other option (besides skipping their free oil change) would be to buy your own oil and let them provide the labor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume their frequency is based on the MM. Good point, I did think about bringing my own preference of oil, but I would just rather do it myself at that point. I thought the oil changes were "free" but after reading the fine print, they nailed me with a 130 dollar fee for this. Oh well, I will take advantage of this "free" service now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quaker had some problems decades ago, but their newer stuff is fine would be ok to use at MM intervals.

Take advantage of the freebie, just be aware that 'free' oil changes are really just a reason for someone to look over your vehicle and tell you about other work that needs done so they can collect some real $$$$$$

1 - 4 of 4 Posts