Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've just purchased a 2007 Odyssey Touring with Nav.

I got it at Carmax and has 71k on it.
It was $21,998

When inspecting it myself i noticed the coolant level was low, i was wondering if you guys think this could be an indication of a potential problem? After driving it home, it had a coolant smell but it could have come from the tech "spilling" some when refilling.

It has the "160 point inspection" from carmax and a 5 day buy back / 30 day warranty with it so I'm just making sure that I'm not getting a raw deal.

After driving it about 15 miles I've noticed you can feel the car downshifting, it's not a jerking motion but rather a small "rub" when you're about to make a turn. Is this normal behavior of this transmission?

It still has the PAX system and after seeing the multiple threads about it on here It's got me a little worried once the tires start going bald... How much was it to De-Pax yours, including a spare? are these Pax tires even available anymore, are they still around $1,000 per set?

It seems very dark inside of the van at night, are there no floorboard lights?

Should I sink some money into taking it to a honda dealership and let them inspect it to get a 3rd party's opinion?

Anyways, let me have it ! How many miles does your Ody have?!

I appreciate all your comments!.

Chris

·
Registered
884 Posts
Sounds to me like you would get a lot of peace of mind by having it inspected at a dealer, especially if you can pull it off within the 5 day window. I am not a mechanic but I've owned four Odysseus including one that lost its transmission and one that made it with minimal maintainance to about 120000 miles when I traded it. Never had pax but like you,reading the forums I'd be thinking depax. There are no interior lights on when vehicle is driving and no floorlights. can't say I've ever seen a van with floor lights. Don't see anything in your coolant or transmission comment that would have me all that concerned but I'm not familiar with car max or their reputation.

·
Registered
411 Posts
So you're saying you handed over twenty-two thousand American dollars for a used vehicle without paying for a thorough pre-purchase inspection from an independent mechanic?

And now you're worried about the condition of what you bought?

I wouldn't buy a used anything from the very Pope his-Holy-self without a PPI. But then again, I try on shoes before buying them, dated before marrying, and check expiration dates on milk and bread before sticking them in the cart. But that's just me, your trust level may vary.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well first, according to Edmunds.com that vehicle is worth 18+K at a dealer and 17K private party. I think you paid way too much. Odys are great vehicles as long as they are maintained correctly. They are also very easy to work on yourself. You may save yourself about 5K by returning it and shopping around. The smell of coolant could be from it being spilled or leaking. You need to get in there and figure out where it is coming from. If it were me I would return it and shop around. I have an 06 that I purchased two years ago for 16K. Very pleased with it so far. Good luck
Clay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Made me laugh Boogety. Did you get a pre marriage inspection from an independent husband before marrying?

LOL.

I agree that the price seems high...Hopefully it will be a trouble free car for you for years and years though. If you decide to return it Carmax is really good about taking care of you from what I hear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@boogety: I felt confident enough about purchasing it given that I could return it within 5 days no questions asked. Within which period I plan on getting a second opinion. My old van died, and I had been in a rental for 2 weeks, so I had to act fast to stop hemorrhaging money.

I've taken the ody on a 80 mile ride, and the smell of coolant has gone away, so I think it was spillage, I'm still going to take it in for a once over by a dealer.

When the gas tank was full the range indicated 280 miles. How is this figure calculated? is it based on current driving consumption average? or does it take an average over a longer period of time, indicating inadequate consumption?

During my drive the tighten fuel cap warning came on, but has since disappeared. Any idea what that might have been?

Different sites tell me different values, kbb says 22k, edmunds says 20k (it's the V6 with nav btw). Who are you to believe, I looked at the other odys at dealerships in the area and they were all in the same price range. unfortunately carmax does not negotiate prices.

What do you guys think about extended warranties on used cars? i can get one to 150k for about $1,000

The nav disk is updated to 2009 it has i believe 4.9 which is nice. The interior is in good shape despite them having 4 kids (there were 4 headsets included, anyone need one?) and it drives like it should. I think it was well maintained. But I'll reserve judgement until I get it independently verified.

I'm glad that they are easy to work on myself, I don't mind doing the normal wear and tear items.

Anyways, thank you all for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Chris

·
Registered
333 Posts
KBB, edmunds, etc are useless. Reliability and quality effect availability. Limited availability or excessive demand pushes the resale way above what those books think it should be. It also varies by market. I still think you're over but its hard to find these vans without excessive mileage.

Get it checked somewhere you trust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts