Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I'm brand new on here so please be nice lol. My wife and I just bought a 2008 Honda Odyssey LX sight unseen from an auction. We picked it up, ran to the dmv got a 30 day temp tag, then brought it to the Honda dealer and told them to look over everything. They passed it on inspection. It has 193,000 miles on it. They noted however that the rear shocks are leaking, oil and/or fluid leaks, battery has low charge and corrosion on terminals, bad air filter, bad cabin air filter. I already replaced both the cabin air filter and air filter, have an order from Amazon for the shocks, and am waiting on Sam's club to get the battery size in stock for the odyssey. It has no lights on the dash indicating any problems. Some other things to note is that it is missing the rear entertainment center but the mount is still there, is missing the passenger 2nd row headrest, and the passenger sliding door it's a manual sliding door doesn't open but does pivot like it is about to get into position to slide when you try to open it. Does anybody have any advice about getting the door to open? What are somethings you guys would suggest checking out on it to make sure it is good due to the year and mileage, and what regular maintenance should I do now around this mileage? This is my first Honda I've ever owned so I don't know common failure points on them or spots of concern to keep an eye one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

edit My wife and I also want to stockpile some of the most common parts for it in our garage to have them ahead of time, such as air filters, cabin air filters, oil filters, alternator, spare set of shocks and struts, etc. If you have any part or part kit suggestions to stock up a spare to have on hand please let me know!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Welcome to this forum.

Rear shocks are easy to replace. The KYB Excel-G shocks are often recommended here.

Sliding door problems are very common. Two common issues: a worn out or failed middle roller and erratic door behavior due to a bad rear latch assembly. Sometimes this causes a battery drain.

I think th emost important thing for you is to be sue you know th etimign belt history. when was it last replaced and with what brand parts? The timing belt, along with all the other timing related parts, needs to be replaced about every 10 years or 100,000 miles. Get the Aisin kit from Rock Auto ($180). Lot's of counterfiet parts sold on Amazon and eBay - avoid buying car parts there.

The other really important thing for your Odyssey is to do a drain and fill of the transmission fluid often. Do not ever have the transmission flushed. Simply drain out the old fluid and replace with new fluid - about 3 1/2 quarts each time. Do this 3 times initially, with driving about 100 miles between each time. Then do it about every 30,000 miles.

Use quality parts and quality Honda-spec fluids -whenever you can.

Pay attention to engine lights and fault codes.

Flush the cooling system, brake fluid, and power steering fluid.

It's normal to have to replace the altenator. If you do, get a Denso brand - nothing else.

Your LX model does not have the VCM engine so you do not have to worry about any of that.

Reactions: Schiky

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,047 Posts
I think the sliding door issue is probably not a rear latch, since it does open partway. The center roller replacement is not hard, especially on the LX with no cables to worry about. Try putting some lube like white lithium grease or similar in the door track that sits between the C and D pillars. See if it'll open when you do that, because if you can open the door, it makes the job a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Sliding door problems are very common. Two common issues: a worn out or failed middle roller and erratic door behavior due to a bad rear latch assembly. Sometimes this causes a battery drain.
Does non-powered sliding door have powered rear latch? (Just wondering whether that is the case)

I can see that it COULD have the microswitches to check if the door is correctly latched, but I am unsure whether that would be the case for non-powered sliding door, if I had to guess, it should just rely on the plunger switch to determine whether the sliding door is closed or not, no?

It COULD be that his center roller hinge pivot may have been seized. I say try penetrating oil followed by grease to see if that may free up the door.

or lower bracket may be obstructed.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm brand new on here so please be nice lol. My wife and I just bought a 2008 Honda Odyssey LX sight unseen from an auction. We picked it up, ran to the dmv got a 30 day temp tag, then brought it to the Honda dealer and told them to look over everything. They passed it on inspection. It has 193,000 miles on it. They noted however that the rear shocks are leaking, oil and/or fluid leaks, battery has low charge and corrosion on terminals, bad air filter, bad cabin air filter. I already replaced both the cabin air filter and air filter, have an order from Amazon for the shocks, and am waiting on Sam's club to get the battery size in stock for the odyssey. It has no lights on the dash indicating any problems. Some other things to note is that it is missing the rear entertainment center but the mount is still there, is missing the passenger 2nd row headrest, and the passenger sliding door it's a manual sliding door doesn't open but does pivot like it is about to get into position to slide when you try to open it. Does anybody have any advice about getting the door to open? What are somethings you guys would suggest checking out on it to make sure it is good due to the year and mileage, and what regular maintenance should I do now around this mileage? This is my first Honda I've ever owned so I don't know common failure points on them or spots of concern to keep an eye one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

edit My wife and I also want to stockpile some of the most common parts for it in our garage to have them ahead of time, such as air filters, cabin air filters, oil filters, alternator, spare set of shocks and struts, etc. If you have any part or part kit suggestions to stock up a spare to have on hand please let me know!
Regarding parts:

For aftermarket parts, consider Rock Auto as your go to source.

For genuine Honda OEM parts at a nice discount, check out Majestic Honda (aka hondaautomotiveparts.com) or BernardiParts.com.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,047 Posts
Does non-powered sliding door have powered rear latch? (Just wondering whether that is the case)

I can see that it COULD have the microswitches to check if the door is correctly latched, but I am unsure whether that would be the case for non-powered sliding door, if I had to guess, it should just rely on the plunger switch to determine whether the sliding door is closed or not, no?

It COULD be that his center roller hinge pivot may have been seized. I say try penetrating oil followed by grease to see if that may free up the door.

or lower bracket may be obstructed.
I think it does have a powered rear latch, just a guess, since the door still does have to latch back there.

Since the door does open a little bit (typically with a rear latch issue the door wouldn't open at all), I'd rule that out at least for now.

I do agree that lubricant is the best thing to try right now. Both on the track and if it can be reached, the roller itself.

Even if you can't get the door open all the way, because there's no cables on the LX, I have heard of people replacing the roller without even taking the track cover off, just by opening the door to where the roller is on the part of the track in the front where it is exposed, and using that as room to work, supporting the door, knocking out the pin or unbolting the bracket, and going at it that way. That could be an option.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,047 Posts
View attachment 160851

I tried the suggested trying to lubricate the track, only one I can reach is the center track, this is as far as the door will open.
If you push in the door does it close all the way?

Also, are you sure this is an LX van? I don't remember the LX coming in that color. And from what little I could see of the wheels, they don't look like the steel wheels + hubcaps the LX came with, unless the wheels have been replaced.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If you push in the door does it close all the way?

Also, are you sure this is an LX van? I don't remember the LX coming in that color. And from what little I could see of the wheels, they don't look like the steel wheels + hubcaps the LX came with, unless the wheels have been replaced.
Also, that door handle looks like body colored. I thought LX comes as just matt black colored handle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, that door handle looks like body colored. I thought LX comes as just matt black colored handle.
Yeah I'm sure that it's an LX, dealership confirmed it as well. You are spot on though, the door handles are matte black, and it does have steel wheels with very discolored stock wheel covers lol. And yes if I push on the back of the door it does close completely.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,047 Posts
Yeah I'm sure that it's an LX, dealership confirmed it as well. You are spot on though, the door handles are matte black, and it does have steel wheels with very discolored stock wheel covers lol. And yes if I push on the back of the door it does close completely.
Ok, you may just really have to push the door hard to get it to move...consider opening the door as far as you can, getting inside, then try pushing on it with your feet.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
For now the door is the least of your problems. Our first mini van only had one sliding door!

Before you dump time and money into this vehicle, I'd get a Carfax and make sure it's not a salvage or flood vehicle. Did you ask the dealer to look for signs of accident repairs. You can get a discount Carfax on ebay.

Some will say the Carfax isn't perfect, which it isn't, but it's the best you can get.

The list of stuff from the dealer isn't bad at all, which may mean the van was well taken care of. The Carfax will also have service history.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts