Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Honda Odyssey EXL No Nav W/DVD 117,000 miles

This is my first post here and appreciate any help you could give me.

Just had a couple questions.
What is the best oil to use?
Oil change interval?
Best Coolant to use?
Transmission fluid?
Anything else you could think of

Noticed this morning that at low idle there seems to be no power steering. Is the pump just weak? As soon as I give it a little gas it comes back.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Honda recommends 5W-20 oil. You will get a zillion opinions about which one is best. I would stick with a good name brand and you should be OK. The interval is determined by the maintenance minder and will tell you when to change it. Have an owner's manual?

Coolant and Transmission fluid - Again you will find opinions out there, but if you stick with Honda OEM fluids here you should be OK.

Power steering is a known issue. Do some searching around and you will find plenty of info on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't sure if you could trust the maintenance minder
Will the maintenance minder tell me if the coolant or trans fluid need changed? What all is it good for?
Also, it's at 119k and the timing belt hasn't been changed will I get a minder for this or does this need to be done really soon?
I'll do some more searching on the power steering
Appreciate the help

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The maintenance minder is really geared towards oil life, but it will also track what maintenance is needed at what interval,but these will have in the form of codes that you have to look up to find out.

The power steering pump is under an extended warranty / TSB, so you may want to take this in to a Honda dealer to see if they can replace for "free" you are beyond the 100k that this issue was "covered" for. Look up power steering and you will find many threads.

The timing belt is due NOW !!! 110k was when it was due. If you bring it to a dealer, they will do the belt, the water pump. Also expect the belt tensioner to be leaking, this was told to me by my dealer when they did my timing belt. Job should run $650 to $700 without the tensioner at a dealer, less at your mechanic.

Good Luck w/ the van..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I second spending some time doing searches here - you will find tons of info from these guys. I hadn't heard of the power steering thing - at least not to the extent that I thought I should look into it. I learn something new here all the time!

·
Registered
57 Posts
What is the best oil to use?
any synthetic is best (ie: mobile 1, amsoil, royal purple, etc)

Oil change interval?
if you go with synthetic, it's around 12-15k miles, otherwise it's best to do it around 4-5k miles.

for transmission fluid, the current DW-1 sold by honda is synthetic so it's good, otherwise amsoil/mobile 1

no power steering is a bad pump, however when we had the problem, our mechanic just flushed it with new oil and it was all good

·
Registered
419 Posts
I used mobile 1 sintetic, drives beautiful ! About 64$ to change
Walmart sells 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 for $24. Is stuff in Brooklyn so much more? Just wondering..

·
Registered
68 Posts
are you positively sure its synthetic oil ? I paid 60 some $ in the shop : so its synthetic Mobile 1 oil change, filter and free carwash.
and since it takes up to 6000 miles basically price is double, so i would say it ok. Dont get me wrong i like doing things myself especially fixing my car but when it comes to oil and you buy it yourself and filter it will come up to almost the same money.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah its full synthetic. see Walmart site for the pricing. its 27 and not 24 as I said before.. I was just surprised you said 60. but since its from a shop then $60 is about right.

mobil 1 - Walmart.com

I haven't been changing my own lately since I have a newer van and my dealer charges 19.99 for regular changes plus a wash.

P.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
A couple of more to add to your list:

Brake fluid flush (every 3 years)
Cabin filter replacement (especially if it is the original but you probably don't know that)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'm going to take a chance with the timing belt. We're taking the van on a trip for Christmas. Probably about 350 miles round trip.

Has anybody pushed the limit this far on theres. It's at about 119k now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One other question
The previous owner told me to always pull the DVD out if I was going to leave the van for an extended time. If you didn't it would drain the battery. Is this a real issue or just something somebody had told them?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wouldn't worry about running a few thousand miles over on the timing belt but it is something you should get done sooner rather than later. Just traded my 2005 EX on a 2011. It had 150000 miles on it at time of trade and everything was still working.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts