Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just bought a 2002 EX on Saturday and am anxious to learn more about this vehicle. I understand it shares the same underpinnings as the Acura MDX. I crawled under, and indeed, the rear suspension has the "loop" waiting for a rear differential to make this van an AWD... has anyone found a modified Odyssey website? I'm assuming that Honda/Acura does NOT build such a version of the Odyssey?? It seems an obvious offering for those snow bound.....

any ideas??

BTW. My first Honda, very impressed with "vaultlike" integrity...nary 1 single squeak in the chassis while traveling over rough roads..

P

·
0 Posts
I don't know about retrofitting AWD on your van, but I do know that an AWD Odyssey is not available at this time. My speculation is that Honda figured that the Traction Control System (TCS) would make up for not having AWD. I've set off the TCS before, and it gets you back on the right path pretty quickly.

Michelle

·
Registered
205 Posts
I suspect that we won't see an AWD Odyssey until the next generation, possibly a 2004 but more likely a 2005 model year. The current generation would be difficult to fit with AWD (as I understand it from other posters on this board), because:

1) The location of the spare wheel under the floor in front of the second row seats is in the path of a drive shaft that would need to run to the rear.

2) The magic seat well takes up a significant amount of space on the underside of the vehicle, and limits the space for placing a rear differential to power the rear wheels.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All,
I went ahead and took the van to the mountains around Lake Tahoe. Traction Control (with and without chains) worked like a champ. I got out of places I would normally have needed AWD for (climbing a slope buried 8" in snow/ice) with chains. I made extremely slow progress (TCS was going "crazy" with activity) but it did infact work.

Got 30MPG coming down from 8000ft to sea level (Tahoe to Sacramento), then 25honest MPG at 65 MPH in level driving from Sacramento to S.F.

Very impressive for an extremely heavy vehicle (4200lbs without people).

Good product Honda....now if only I could get that engine in a mid-engined, 2000lb sportscar....whoooo..

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">now if only I could get that engine in a mid-engined, 2000lb sportscar....whoooo.. </font>
Well, maybe not a 2000lb sportscar. But how about a roughly 3200lb 6 speed coupe?

And no, it doesn't come from Acura. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
From what I understand the "magic seat" prevents Honda from implementing a true AWD system on the Ody. The MDX has a "magic seat" but not a true AWD. The MDX has an advanced version of the CR-V 4WD. From the article I read, the new to come Pilot will lack the Magic seat but will come with true AWD.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Hey Brian,
Looks like we're neighbors. Millbrae here.
We did that trip a year ago. Got good results too.
Check out the Events section.We're planning a second Odyclub meet (following the 1st one last November).The more the merrier.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with lotsa stuff.S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts