Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

Last week I replaced my timing belt on my "03 EX L at 101700 miles. I replaced the TB with Cloyes brand ccomponents, and Aisin water pump, and plugs with Bosch Platinum +4. I also did a 4 wheel brake job while i was at it. My concern is that ever since i did all of this work the van seems to have lees power at highway speeds, it really downshifts a lot when pulling hills. I double checked my timing marks before installing the covers. Is it possible to have a gear slightly off or do i need to troubleshoot in a different area such a EGR. This weekend i can tear everything down againto see if the belt or something slipped out of time. Thank to eveyone for the great posts here that guided me through the TB replacement. I was one of the easier i have ever done did it in about 7 hours in my driveway.

Also went on a 250 mile roadtrip right after it was done andonly got 17mpg was getting 20 befor.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The most likely culprit is your plugs. The plus 4 usually only works well on certain vehicles and I don't think honda's are normal for working well with them. I'd reccomend trying nkg's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did think about the plugs also. The ones that came out were very bad so i know they needed done. Thnaks i will try that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It seems really doubtful that the new belt would have slipped. As long as it starts fine (cold or hot) and the check engine light is out (i.e. no misfiring) that doesn't seem like the place to look.

Since you also did a brake job, could any of the brakes (front or rear) be dragging?

And of course, check tire pressures.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Replace the plugs with the same as you took out. the Odyssey is very sensitive to plugs used as many threads here will attest to.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think the brakes are dragging all wheels turn freely with no noise when jacked up. The calipers were not seized and compressed nicely. I guess i really didn't do my research on spark plugs. I always replace plugs with what came out but this time i broke my rule regarding plug replacement. I will go to Rockauto and order new plugs and put them in. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
adelody,

I'd check your alignment of the timing marks, the Cams to the crank. If you truly feel that there is a performance issue then the plug brand when new will not cause what you describe. If the plugs were misfiring then you would get the CEL. You can be a half tooth off so to speak on one or both CAMs and still not get a CEL but the engine will run and idle. You do not need to rip the whole job apart to check. Drive the timing mark on the crank pulley to TDC (make sure you are on #1 cylinder), with the CAM inspection covers off check the CAM alignment to the marks cast into the heads (factory service manual has good pictures). Your alignment must be exact, it is not uncommon for the cam to slip slightly when releasing the tensioner. Lots of luck, Russ.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks that is what i wanted to no is if off a half tooth or so can it alter performance but still run and drive. I figured i can check alignment by just removing the top covers. I am convinced there is a loss of highway torque it just doesn't run at 70mph like it did before. I really expected better performance with new plugs installed.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
If memory serves me, one of the final steps before putting the covers back on is to manual turn the crank several full rotations with the belt tensioned. If you did this and everything lined up after then all is good on that end. I would definitely get the Bosch plugs out of there, the OEM NGK's are a bit expensive but you change them at 105k intervals and they work properly. The ones I pulled at my 105k service still looked great.

BTW, my car ran exactly the same after new belts and plugs. It has always ran well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I tried E3 plugs for a bit... First couple months the van ran fine then all of a sudden it was throwing codes like crazy and was idleling/running like it was gonna die all the time.

Thought it was a coil pack.... Wrong, put the old plugs in (out of desperation) after I swapped the coil pack on every cylinder with no change.
Problem went away...
If you still have your old plugs put them back in (just as a short term test) and see what happens.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I threw out the old plugs. I will try the NGK plugs after reaffirming the timing alignment. I am almost positive it is correct i double checked it after pulling tensioner pin and rotating the engine several times. I am a natural worrier when it comes to somethings that is why I getting out of the wrench turning business don't have the nerves anymore for it.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
I made the same mistake as you by replacing the OEM NGK's with Bosch Platinum +4. The engine ran perfectly but I went back to the NGK's anyway because of reports of heat range issues with the Bosch Platinum +4 in this engine.

Anyway, I don't think the spark plugs are the problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
+1 on the plugs.

Start troubleshooting with the cheapest and easiest fixes - plugs.

You have at least two variables (plugs & the TB). By replacing the plugs you can better troubleshoot the timing issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
its probably the plugs. put some NGKs in and see what happens..you can pick them up from Autozone for like $4 a piece. I heard that Bosch plugs are not good for Japanese engines and are more suited for the Euros like BMWs etc...

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Add another vote against the Bosh plugs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This morning i installed the NGK Laser Plainum plug $9.99 a piece at O"Reilly (only place that had 6 in stock last night). Took van on 60 mile trip and i is much improved. I actually think in runs better than befor, that is what i expected with the old plugs being so old and worn. Thanks for all the supportfrom everyone, i am now happy with the work i did.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
We are like a broken record; "Get those Bocth out of there!"

Somebody should start a new topic and gather all those Botched experiences at one place.

On the other topic, my mechanic was adamant that if a tooth was off in the timing belt installation, the car would run pretty badly and we will know it right away. May be he was just giving me assurances so that I would not be nervous :)

- Vikas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts