Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 months of ownership, around 17K miles and now van less :nothappy:

Was stopped on the freeway and a car was screeching behind me about to hit me. I quickly looked and moved over a lane and unfortunately so did the car behind me and an SUV slammed behind me and crushed the rear.

The whole family was in the van. 11 year old, wife, 5 month and 2 year old.
The side door would not open but luckily the other door did. Rear hatch glass shattered as well as the passenger rear quarter.

I don't know if the van is going to be totaled or not. The van would not move when I tried to move it so the axle or something might be damaged.

Good thing the family is safe. The van did its job in absorbing most of the hit but now we are concerned with replacement with supplies low and such.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Do you have any photos of the damage? Was anyone sitting in the third row? Glad you are all safe!

4 months of ownership, around 17K miles and now van less :nothappy:

Was stopped on the freeway and a car was screeching behind me about to hit me. I quickly looked and moved over a lane and unfortunately so did the car behind me and an SUV slammed behind me and crushed the rear.

The whole family was in the van. 11 year old, wife, 5 month and 2 year old.
The side door would not open but luckily the other door did. Rear hatch glass shattered as well as the passenger rear quarter.

I don't know if the van is going to be totaled or not. The van would not move when I tried to move it so the axle or something might be damaged.

Good thing the family is safe. The van did its job in absorbing most of the hit but now we are concerned with replacement with supplies low and such.

·
Registered
665 Posts
luckily you shouldn't have to worry much about gap insurance with the car prices so high now days. But getting another might be a little more difficult but worth it if the damage is as you decribe it. If it gets fixed it will never drive the same again.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Glad you guys are all OK. Family safety comes foremost.

Make sure you ask for "diminished value" to help absorb the hit in case you decide to trade this one in if its not totalled.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Must have been a bad day for Ody's in Modesto. On Sat. about 5 p.m. came upon an accident on McHenry at Al's Furniture. A car was stopped at the new traffic light and an maybe '09 or '10 Ody behind him. A Chevy PU looked like they never slowed and slammed into back of Ody, crushing the whole rear end and pushing it into the car in front.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Must be CA drivers are demolition derby contestants.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any photos of the damage? Was anyone sitting in the third row? Glad you are all safe!
I did have someone in the third row and we're all in good shape however we had a luggage in the rear that went in between the rear setback and lower seat and part of the handle went through and hit her back. A bit bruised up but she's good.

All in all the van crumpled as it was supposed to. Just got back from the tow yard a few hours ago so going to post pictures as soon as I get them off my phone.

Thanks for the concern. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay here are some of the pictures.. not for the faint of heart. Please don't show these to your Ody... it'll get heartbroken as we are.
1) Overall crash shot
2) Picture from the rear "glass" looking in. The passenger corner was the worst section hit. You can't see it from the picture but you can see the muffler and ground from inside
3) The luggage that was inside that went through the seat
4) The part that was protruding from the seat that hit my sister in the lower back
5) The side door would not open because of the damage. We had to have them climb out the seats and through the other doors

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
oh man, that picture of luggage or plastic whatever it is, coming through the bottom of the seat gave me the creeps a bit.

I'm glad you guys are all ok though!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you're all ok. On a side note, I would push to have it totalled.
I would too if not the fact that supply is short of demand. I'm having a hard time finding value of this van since it's so new. It appears that dealers are selling them higher than what I originally paid (pre Japan earthquake). I got quotes via ZAG.

We'll see....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Must have been a bad day for Ody's in Modesto. On Sat. about 5 p.m. came upon an accident on McHenry at Al's Furniture. A car was stopped at the new traffic light and an maybe '09 or '10 Ody behind him. A Chevy PU looked like they never slowed and slammed into back of Ody, crushing the whole rear end and pushing it into the car in front.
off topic, but that has to be the stupidest traffic light ever. i was so happy when the removed that section that curves around, but they put it back in. wtf:huh:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
off topic, but that has to be the stupidest traffic light ever. i was so happy when the removed that section that curves around, but they put it back in. wtf:huh:
Our "government" doesn't always do things that make sense :rollingeyes:

Prelim report looks to be a total loss.
Waiting for official report and then the valuation of the van... sad, just sad.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That'll buff right out.
lols...Or some miracle wax off eBay should work :D

Seriously, glad to hear that everyone is ok, especially with little ones on-board. Hope everything work's out for ya.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update:
Ins. called and said that the vehicle is a "total loss"
I got the FMV and I don't agree seeing how difficult it is getting vans currently at near what I paid for it just a few months ago. The positive is that at least I'm getting most of what I paid for it back however since these are still fairly new I think the valuation is off.

The found 32 other vans in my immediate area to compare against and they don't take color combination in to account because it's a "personal preference" and doesn't change the "value" any. The ones they found are not the right color combo/trim and are all over the map in pricing (all at invoice for the most part) and not what you would expect to pay when actually negotiating with those lovely sales people.

Since I have to return the rental within 3 days after accepting the settlement, I basically won't have a van to drive until I can get one allocated or forbid; ordered from the factory and wait.

Then there's the price... I still can't get anyone to touch $750 over invoice and so I have to pay more for the replacement. I have the car replacement option with my ins. company however it's for vehicles that are less than 12 months (check) AND have less than 15K miles (doh!) and I have 16,5ish... DAMN. They would have paid the difference between what I paid originally and the replacement. AARRGGHHH!

Well the saga for us will continue...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Well, on a positive note, they won't try to fix the van.
Also it's a bummer that for just 1k miles extra your getting lesser package out of the ins.

Anyways, if I was in this situation, I would be ok with only getting invoice for my van, because really your also going to endup with 16k miles less. What I would fight over would be an extension of the rental car coverage.

Anyways, best of luck.

Also one question/clarification. That piece of plastic sticking through the 3rd row seat. Was that a piece of luggage, or the plastic trim on the rear seat?
Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, on a positive note, they won't try to fix the van.
Also it's a bummer that for just 1k miles extra your getting lesser package out of the ins.

Anyways, if I was in this situation, I would be ok with only getting invoice for my van, because really your also going to endup with 16k miles less. What I would fight over would be an extension of the rental car coverage.

Anyways, best of luck.

Also one question/clarification. That piece of plastic sticking through the 3rd row seat. Was that a piece of luggage, or the plastic trim on the rear seat?
Thanks
That was a part of the luggage handle that went under the back cushion.
Lesson learned that handles should face the side or not near a seat crack where it can go through... still feel bad for my sis..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts