Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked my van at the mall, came back out and they had cut my cat out from under the car.

I obviously can't justify replacing it with an OEM cat, so was hoping someone could recommend a much more affordable generic cat that would work. When they cut the cat off, they cut off the bolt on portions so I would either have to weld new bolt-ons or just have it welded in. If someone could recommend a good option I'd appreciate it. They also messed up my oxygen sensor. On rock auto it seems Denso part number 234-4094 might correspond to the one that fits into the cat. Honda's oem part number is 36532-P8F-A01. Is there a way I can cross reference it to make sure I am buying the correct part?

Any and all help would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there any way to know if NTK(NGK) is the OEM or if Denso is the OEM manufacturer of the Oxygen sensors for this year model odyssey.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Also, own 2001. Here in California, I was told, have to use OEM converter, in order to pass Smog inspection. (every 2 years).

Interesting. I just posted, asking for information on sensors.

Anyways, on the 2001. There are 2 sensors. One before the converter, up stream, and one after, down stream.

ON Denso site. P/N: 234-4094 Downstream $ 39.42
P/N: 234-4727 Upstream $ 43.75

Rock Auto price: $35.79 / $39.79
Sparkplug.com: $39.42 / $43.75
Autozone: $83.99 / $81.49
Advanced Auto: $83.99 / $ ?

Dealer: 36531 - P8C - A21 upstream $ 163.51
36532 - P8F - A01 downstream $ 101.85

Hope this helps. If my numbers are incorrect, please post correct ones.

Also, as OP asked. ARE the Denso, OEM?

Thanks. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Is there any way to know if NTK(NGK) is the OEM or if Denso is the OEM manufacturer of the Oxygen sensors for this year model odyssey.
Most in this forum use the Denso direct replacement. They have some decent prices on ebay and probably amazon.
Yes, there are two different O2 sensors on the vehicle so make sure you order the correct one.
There have been other discussions concerning using aftermarket CC s with good luck. You will have to do a search in this forum or perhaps the Maintenance one.
Buffalo4
PS: Damn , so sad that the people will do costly damage to your vehicle to make $20 or so. :(

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Denso are the stock O2 sensors and you can find them on rock auto or amazon. I used NTK when I had to replace my CAT. I used a Walker Ultraex direct fit catalytic converter. That was 9 months ago and 27K miles of problem free driving.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
OP. Forgot to ask. Why would anyone steal a "2001" converter? It's 19 years old?
Here in sanctuary land (the DPR of CA), people are encouraged to break car windows to steal the change in the cup holders. So the $20 recycling value makes this one a no brainer. Waiting to see if SF City Hall lends out tools to facilitate removal.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Here in sanctuary land (the DPR of CA), people are encouraged to break car windows to steal the change in the cup holders. So the $20 recycling value makes this one a no brainer. Waiting to see if SF City Hall lends out tools to facilitate removal.
Encouraged to break car windows and to steal the 'change in cup holders,etc etc etc----C'mon.
Lends out tools to facilitate removal?
Hell, you could always move to the Chicago South Side. :eek:
Buffalo4
PS: BTW, what is the DPR of CA?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Democratic People's Republic of Ko-scratch that, California.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stole cat converter, wow. They would have had to lift the car up and get get underneath to cut those pipes. Would have been easier to take the tires.

Most aftermarket converters won't come near OEM quality and an OEM converter could run ~$2k. The problem with aftermarket converters is that if there are any blockages, you risk the engine burning out.

If you live in a state where the emissions is done through OBD, you could do this.

1. Buy a cheap converter from Ebay and hammer the inside out of it so it is completely hollow, literally break up all the cones inside.

2. Use an extension for the downstream O2 sensor. I forgot the name of it, but but they sell them everywhere.

This could be your $200 fix.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what sucks even more is that they cut the pipes on the other side of the bolts so,,,,,, I have to have a pipe extension welded on and then weld on the cat. It's such a stupid pain. When I called mall security about the theft, they tried to sweep it under the rug, gave me the feeling they knew this was an ongoing issue. They told me to contact the department store's security who pulled the same sweep it under the rug attitude. It blows my mind how trashy parts of Texas are becoming as they get flooded by massive numbers of illegals causing crime rates to shoot up too. All this hassle for a few bucks.

thanks for all the information you guys gave me here. From what I could find, the NTK are the OEM on this. And do you need to replace both up and downstream sensors at the same time? Someone tried to tell me I need to do that in order to keep things working properly.

·
Registered
688 Posts
This has been going on for a while ....say 10 years? Consider yourself lucky in the sense that you don't live in CA. Over there it will cost you way more to get your van going again legally.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Encouraged to break car windows and to steal the 'change in cup holders,etc etc etc----C'mon.
Lends out tools to facilitate removal?
Hell, you could always move to the Chicago South Side. :eek:
Buffalo4
PS: BTW, what is the DPR of CA?
Yes, many out here consider it wealth redistribution, and applaud it accordingly. The tool lending program would be considered in support of education of the trades.
SF just elected a communist (Hugo Chavez' right hand man) as the district attorney, running on a promise to not enforce laws. First thing he did was to fire the most capable prosecutors. Coming to you before you know it.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
what sucks even more is that they cut the pipes on the other side of the bolts so,,,,,, I have to have a pipe extension welded on and then weld on the cat. It's such a stupid pain. When I called mall security about the theft, they tried to sweep it under the rug, gave me the feeling they knew this was an ongoing issue. They told me to contact the department store's security who pulled the same sweep it under the rug attitude. It blows my mind how trashy parts of Texas are becoming as they get flooded by massive numbers of illegals causing crime rates to shoot up too. All this hassle for a few bucks.

thanks for all the information you guys gave me here. From what I could find, the NTK are the OEM on this. And do you need to replace both up and downstream sensors at the same time? Someone tried to tell me I need to do that in order to keep things working properly.
If it was in a shopping center, I'd look into what the law says about the store's responsibility. You might be surprised.

For all the lawlessness with certain parts of the poplulation, there are still other parts that do actually follow the law, especially civil law such as you vs. the shopping center.

As an example, (not that I had a problem with this, but found out that) at the ski resort I'd go to all the time, if you got a ding or something on your car from someone's skis banging it, or similar/worse, the resort was liable for the repair, by law and policy.

The fact that employees are brushing it off may be corporate policy as the first line of defense, even if they know they are liable. And their stories about, "it happens all the time," may help your case.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Yes, many out here consider it wealth redistribution, and applaud it accordingly. The tool lending program would be considered in support of education of the trades.
SF just elected a communist (Hugo Chavez' right hand man) as the district attorney, running on a promise to not enforce laws. First thing he did was to fire the most capable prosecutors. Coming to you before you know it.
Please don't get into politics in this forum. "Communist" ? C'mon.!!
Fired the most capable prosecutors? C'mon. That seems to be your political opinion and it is not really needed in this forum, but your vehicle experience sure is. :D
Buffalo4 :D

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Please don't get into politics in this forum. "Communist" ? C'mon.!!
Fired the most capable prosecutors? C'mon. That seems to be your political opinion and it is not really needed in this forum, but your vehicle experience sure is. :D
Buffalo4 :D
Not trying to go there. No opinions, just jokes and facts.

I made an initial joke (and like many good jokes, it's fairly true, and a little exaggerated) relevant to the OP's unfortunate situation.

When you asked about it, I responded with these facts. Facts, facts, facts. Google it - "Chesa Boudin" is his name. Worked with Hugo Chavez, the guy that led Venezuela to its self-destruction. Son of convicted members of the domestic terrorist organization, the Weather Underground. Raised by other WU members that were not convicted.

None of these are opinions. Facts. Not hidden or denied by Chesa. Celebrated by many out here, where hating America is a sport. And yes, he fired leading attorneys in the DA's office immediately, which has been objectively analyzed to be for the purpose of hindering the capability/expertise in prosecuting crimes.

Your reaction is not too surprising - that's what I'd think if I lived somewhere else and heard about it. The most baffling thing to me is that people don't seem to believe that segments of the population can really be as radical as they are.

Of course, the program to have city hall lend out tools so criminals can do their work ... now thankfully that is a joke / exaggeration ... for now.

And if you live in my area and ever need to travel to SF, effort and planning to avoid a break-in is definitely something that needs to be done. And is Odyssey related.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Just add fuel the bigot fire, most of these thefts are fueled by Opioid addiction and not usual scapegoats. (illegals, lax theft laws & punishment) If you want to blame someone, try the big pharma who pushed this. They don't pay any taxes at all. They even moved all their money offshore during their trials to limit the fines they did pay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That oem cat converter is worth about $600 because of the metals it contains. Had a couple places tell me that I needed to replace mine even though there is nothing wrong. Finally a friend of mine who is a mechanic told me the value of it .

·
Banned
78 Posts
I did not read through 19 posts . But was the theft in CALIFORNIA ? If so I'm so glad I bailed out over 12 years ago and left wing policies were destroying the state way back then . Sorry state caters to anyone but law abiding taxpayers. Hope you find a Cat that works for you , Oh ya the sorry Smog check every 2 years , only for Law abiding taxpayers ! Whew glad I left !

1 - 20 of 35 Posts