Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally installed a Fumoto F106N valve and an ADL-106 long extension adapter on my Odyssey today. It was an easy install to do. The required wrench sizes are as follows: Adapter size is 7/8" and the valve itself is 3/4". I found it easier to install the adapter with a socket instead of the crowfoot wrench, and torqued both to 20 ft pounds although it says 18. You only use the supplied blue washers and not the crush washers. I took some pictures for reference. The old Amsoil oil had over 13,000 miles on it and I could have gone some more but decided to just do it today because the weather is great. So now I am good for another year or 15,000 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
On the page it said "The versatility of the SX-series valve allows installation without an adapter on some cars and trucks that may have previously required one.". So I guess Odyssey probably fall into that case.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like the design of the new valve as it does away with the need for an adapter.
The only thing I did read is "Your oil pan may have a recessed oil drain port and need an adapter ADL-106 to install the valve except for F106SX. F106SX can be installed without the adapter. However, if F106SX can only be pointed down close to the ground, use ADP-106 to adjust the valve orientation".

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was going to order the SX valve and notice that there is a warning for the Odyssey on the Fumoto web site:

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/fumoto-valve-not-available-for-your-car.html

It says "we strongly advise against using a socket wrench on the hex of the nipple".

EOT, looking at your pictures it seems like that what you had to do in order to tighten it. Can you confirm if that was the case?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use the Fumoto on all of my cars. I save the original plug and replace it when I sell or trade. The Fumoto can be used on future cars.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was going to order the SX valve and notice that there is a warning for the Odyssey on the Fumoto web site:

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/fumoto-valve-not-available-for-your-car.html

It says "we strongly advise against using a socket wrench on the hex of the nipple".

EOT, looking at your pictures it seems like that what you had to do in order to tighten it. Can you confirm if that was the case?
No, I didn't use a socket on the hex portion of the valve itself, which it advises against. You use the main "body" portion to tighten it. They are designed to be tightened by the "body" itself, not the thin hex portion. A socket works well on the adapter portion, though. I found it easier to put a socket on the adapter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No, I didn't use a socket on the hex portion of the valve itself, which it advises against. You use the main "body" portion to tighten it. They are designed to be tightened by the "body" itself, not the thin hex portion. A socket works well on the adapter portion, though. I found it easier to put a socket on the adapter. Hope this helps.
Thanks. That's help a lot. It is pretty expensive to order one up here in Canada so just want to make sure it will fit before putting down the money.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just installed on 2016 TE

I've owned my 2016 TE for just over a year and finally got the first Maintenance reminder light at 7200 miles. I installed the new Fumoto F 106SX. All went pretty smoothly aside from having to use wide jaw vise grips to remove the factory oil filter. I installed the drain using a male 3/8" Allen hex socket.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've owned my 2016 TE for just over a year and finally got the first Maintenance reminder light at 7200 miles. I installed the new Fumoto F 106SX. All went pretty smoothly aside from having to use wide jaw vise grips to remove the factory oil filter. I installed the drain using a male 3/8" Allen hex socket.

Photobucket is seriously the worst. None of the pictures work. Did you have to use an adapter?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just changed the oil after 11,346 miles since my last Amsoil change...The QuickJack and Fumoto valve made it simpler than ever, with the humidity being the annoying thing today. All set to go for another 12,000 miles using the XL fluid....

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've considered installing a Fumoto valve in our Odyssey. I can certainly understand the convenience factor when it comes time for the oil change. But, for me, there's an extra peace-of-mind with using a solid steel bolt in the drain hole. Maybe I worry too much. But, if I ever did use a Fumoto valve, I think I'd be constantly checking under the car for leaks! :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
At least in this application the valve appears to be in a protected position. If you look under the car from the front and can silhouette an extension like this, its in a vulnerable position and could get torn out if you run over something. I'm like Purc, it would be on my mind.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Funny that this post came up today as i just changed my oil today. I got my socket ready, trying to remember whether i need a 15mm or 17mm. Ended up bringing both with me and slided under the van. Then i realized why i forgotten the size. Because with the fumoto i didn't need any tool at all. Put an empty oil jar underneath, opened the valve and that's all. No mess, no tools, no clean up. Didn't even need my oil pan. Will never go back to the standard bolt.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've considered installing a Fumoto valve in our Odyssey. I can certainly understand the convenience factor when it comes time for the oil change. But, for me, there's an extra peace-of-mind with using a solid steel bolt in the drain hole. Maybe I worry too much. But, if I ever did use a Fumoto valve, I think I'd be constantly checking under the car for leaks! :D
Been using Fumoto valve for over 30+ years. Ford Bronco, Mercury Sable, Toyota Camry, 2001 Odyssey.
2019 Subaru Forester. ( Had same initial worry you had). Never had a problem. If you look at the way the
"ball valve" operates. It would be "nearly" impossible for the valve to open by accident.

Fumoto, added a little plastic clip, to alleviate the concerns of people like you. (extra protection). I just tossed out.
You really don't need it. Once you get used to draining oil, using the Fumoto valve, you will wonder why you waited so long!

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts