Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This new system Rocks. The entire install was less than 1 hour. I previously upgraded the speakers and did not find much of an improvement. With the new head unit 18 watt min 45- peak. The sound in the van explodes.
The only other possible improvement would be a small subwoofer. (That will be my next addition. This pansonic unit also plays video dvds in dash.(perfect for my overhead jensen unit, no more underseat dvd player, ) It is a great unit!!! I purchased it at crutchfield for a net of 475. see my previous post. I could not be happier. The unit also has an additional aux input buit in if I want to add another video/audio source. The unit automaticly mute the navigation unit for those who have one. Goodbyr RF Modulators! I sold my factory unit and boss dvd player to offset the expense. Net to me was very low at 475. This unit sold for $1200 just last year. This is the same unit that video navi has as well!!!!

[This message has been edited by rollie66 (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Sweet! I'm a bit jealous because I have my Panasonic in-dash DVD sitting at home, still NIB. Have not had time on the weekends for the install. I bought the 7000, the newer version, no center speaker.

The Crutchfield/MSN deal you mentioned is a great one, (what a price!) and that's a really great source unit. DVD-Audio too for the hard core.....

Congrats!

p.s.- what do you think about the control interface so far?

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The control interface is very easy. Also the remote control is like the one to my home stereo. You can set up everything from the remote. It is very easy. I looked at the 7000. For a long time the 7000 was cheaper than the 909 however the 909 must be on the way out. Panasonic still lists it on their site as their premier unit. The center channel on the unit is a little funky. The unit does have a separate center channel out available. The 7000 was a little bit more and I liked this one better. The 7000 does support mpeg however. Install your unit tonight! It will not take you long. The only slow point is where to mount the small external amp (mine is above and behind the glove box.) also a set of crimp on bullet connectors for the Honda adapter makes the process a breeze!Enjoy your unit Mine Rocks!

This is a highly recommended upgrade for everyone.

[This message has been edited by rollie66 (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

Congratulation. You sure have a nice systems. I plan to get one but unable to demo one.
Do you know if it plays music, video CD-R and CDRW?
Does it have a subwoofer preamp output? and
does it has a subwoofer volume level?

Thanks,

·
Registered
854 Posts
so this thing integrates with nav so it mutes the sound when the voice comes on?

that thing is awesome!!! I'm drooling already.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The unit has seperat pre outs for all six speakers. Two front two rear, Sub and Center. It also has seperate volume control for the sub and the center channel. It also has an additional rca jack set up for input of an additional device. It also can control two additional cd changers. If you install an additional cd changer you can play the cd on the front speakers and the video on the rear.
The MSN shopping 20% expires on the 15th hurry to get it. Crutchfield $25 coupon listen on previous post.

I have not tested compatability for cd-r and cdrw yet will do tonight and report back.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slocko:
so this thing integrates with nav so it mutes the sound when the voice comes on?

that thing is awesome!!! I'm drooling already.
</font>
It has a navi mute lead, but there are a couple of caveats here. Look up Steve's (Videonavi) firsts posts to this forum on how he set up his 909 with Honda Navi and "Videonavi" conversion.

The main things are:
1) you need to use a relay to reverse the polarity of the navi mute (this mute was designed for a Panasonic Navi option).
2) you need to splice your navi voice into the input of the outboard amp, using some stepdown resistors to get the level right. Otherwise, you won't hear the navi voice.

------------------
-Shin John

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
A couple of things for people to consider if purchasing one of these Panasonic in-dash units... Notable differences:

- 909 has DVD Audio capability, motorized center channel, DTS capability, 7000 does not have any of these.

- 7000 has CD Text capability, joystick remote, on screen display, two stage DR compression, 909 does not.

- 909's external amp is really just an amp that has speaker outputs for the main 4 speakers. All other connections, incl. RCA, etc... pigtail from the head unit itself.

- 7000's external "amp" includes pre-outs for all 6 channels (actually 8) as well as speaker outputs. The rest of the ins/out are from the head unit

- 7000 has better "private mode" implementation, allowing you to play CD/DVD rear, and any other source front. Rear (screen) output is separate from rear speaker/RCA so this can be sent to wireless headphones (my plan). Rear speakers/RCAs are muted in "private mode"

- 909 has F/R source selectability, with sound going directly to speakers. Allows you to play two sources F/R through 4 main speakers only; no separate output. Also, F/R mode is not valid for use with the tuner.

I got my 7000 for $549, not a bad deal considering the 909 is $599 without the aforementioned discounts at Crutchfield.

The 7000 suits my needs the best, though I was really close to buying the 909. 909 still is Pana's flagship model. It has the most features for sure and I think either would be a great centerpiece for a mobile video system!

I did all this research before I purchased. Hopefully it helps someone else if they are considering buying one....

------------------
-Shin John

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rollie66:
Crutchfield $25 coupon listen on previous post.
</font>
Roland,
When does this coupon code expire? Dec 15? I know the MSN deal is until the 20th...

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
PS.

www.wholesaleconnection.com

Pana 909. $499. No coupons, no MSN.

Just letting people know, FYI.

Hope some people have a very Happy Holiday with a new Ody video system...

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no expiration on crutchfield coupon

coupon # 21218505

The great thing about cructfirld is 30 day no questions asked return policy. Cheap 3 day express shipping. Includes wire harness adapter and face plate for free!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have Amex blue you can price match to wholesaleconnection. Buy at crutchfield. use rebate 25 coupon. price match with amex blue and get 100 rebate net cost $375. I used my amex blue at crutchfield now I am going to pricematch to wholesale connection. A great deal keeps getting better.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rollie66:
If you have Amex blue you can price match to wholesaleconnection. Buy at crutchfield. use rebate 25 coupon. price match with amex blue and get 100 rebate net cost $375. I used my amex blue at crutchfield now I am going to pricematch to wholesale connection. A great deal keeps getting better.</font>
Woohoo!!!!!!!
Way to go Rol!!!
Enjoy the holidays!

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the link sj. I looked at their site previously and found the prices higher at the time. I just called AMEX for the price match. Everything is all good. Merry Christmas to ALL!

P.S. If anyone wants to install this system it is very easy. They only hitch is the video has a cable that goes to the parking brake. This is a safety feature to only allow video to play when the car is stopped. Most people who have purchased this system have an in dash player. All you need to do to bypass this setup is tap into your black grond wire and attach thae brake wire there. Instant bypass. Good luck to all who get this system I love it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts