Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just took delivery of our GG EXL-RES 2002. We traded our 2000 TW EX.

First impressions driving it from the dealer:

1. Horsepower is noticeable from the 2000, but not dramatic. The test will be to get it on a windy, hilly road to compare if it "bogs down" compared to the 2000.

2. Transmission is much smoother. Very noticeable difference.

3. Leather interior: Very well done. I don't know who it was that said the vinyl seat backs are ugly, but my opinion differs. In fact, the vinyl on the back of the seats is the same material that Acura uses on our 2000 3.2 TL.

4. Ride: The ride does seem a bit smoother and quieter. I will know more after the "new car euphoria" wears off.

5. RES: We brought along our 3 year old's Tigger movie. It worked like a charm. The 16x9 aspect ratio looks very cool.

Someone else has already posted pictures of a GG with Fern leather, but if there's interest, I'll take a bunch of pictures of the interior, RES, etc. and post them.

One last thing: The whole process took about a month:
* Ordered on 9/6
* Received a build date on 9/17 indicating it would be built between 9/23 and 9/28
* Received a call from dealer on 9/29 stating it had shipped on 9/27
* The Ody arrived at the dealer today (10/4).

Greg

·
Registered
207 Posts
Congratulations! The exact same vehicle for which I have been searching.

Just got a line on a MB-RES but don't know whether it will pan out since the sales rep wasn't in the office when he called and won't be until tomorrow afternoon. The GG-RES this dealer got in went within hours so there's a chance the MB will be gone also (arghhhhh).

Drive safely and enjoy your new van!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would very much like to see more pictures of the enterior. My GG EXL RES is in shipping status.
I'm having the dealer install a Video cassette player in mine. They claim it will fit under the DVD player in the center console if they remove the storage compartment. Does it look like there is enough room without cutting anything out?
Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bt:
I'm having the dealer install a Video cassette player in mine. They claim it will fit under the DVD player in the center console if they remove the storage compartment. Does it look like there is enough room without cutting anything out?
Thanks.
</font>
Without cutting anything out? Only if they could find a very small VCP for you...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see how a VCP will fit under the DVD unit. The storage compartment is very small - smaller than non-RES units.

I think it would definitely require cutting.

Greg

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody2002:
Without cutting anything out? Only if they could find a very small VCP for you...</font>
Smallest VCP I've ever seen is 9 1/2 inches wide. Obviously, the physical size of the cassette (almost 7 1/2 inches) is a limitation. Is that storage compartment wider than 9 1/2"????

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the input. I still don't have my Oddy yet.
This is the way I understand the installation of my VCP will be accomplished. I am under the impression that the storage compartment can be removed by taking out a couple of screws. Is this possible? If so, it really doesn't matter how wide the storage compartment is. The VCP will sit on the floor (hopefully anchored) at the bottom of the center console and probably stick out on either side. Does that sound reasonable or is the dealer blowing smoke?

·
Registered
14 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Razorback:
We just took delivery of our GG EXL-RES 2002. We traded our 2000 TW EX.

</font>
I have just received my MB 2002 EXL-RES yesterday, I'm still in learning mode, but I love to drive it, it is so powerful and quiet, it is the best van I can dream of.

Since you also have the RES-DVD system, you might help me check this out. I found a very bright RED dot on the top of DVD screen, it is not noticeable when I have DVDs in play, however on a blank screen, it is very noticeable, looks like the screen was broken. Do you have the same thing??

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regarding the red stuck pixel on your RES, go look at the "Finally Got Mine" thread - I replied in some detail there.

Bottom line is that I have a blue stuck pixel, but you'll probably have to live with it!

Greg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Regarding the red stuck pixel on your RES, go look at the "Finally Got Mine" thread - I replied in some detail there.

Bottom line is that I have a blue stuck pixel, but you'll probably have to live with it!

</font>
Thanks Greg, good to hear mine is not the exception. I guess I have to live with it.

Now I have another problem. I just tested the AUX port this afternoon. I connected my digital camcorder, VCA, and digital camera to the AUX port, however, I see double pictures/images on the screen. The picture quality (color mix) is awefully bad. For example, beautiful blue ocean becomes white cloud. I changed different AV cables and video sources, the problem persists.

Have you tested your AUX port?

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by I_Love_Ody:

</font>
I tested my aux input by connecting a sony DSC-85 still cam and it worked fine (video only). I'll try video camera tomorrow and post unless someone else beats me to it.

------------------
Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

[This message has been edited by tomhan (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have just received my MB 2002 EXL-RES yesterday, I'm still in learning mode, but I love to drive it, it is so powerful and quiet, it is the best van I can dream of.

Since you also have the RES-DVD system, you might help me check this out. I found a very bright RED dot on the top of DVD screen, it is not noticeable when I have DVDs in play, however on a blank screen, it is very noticeable, looks like the screen was broken. Do you have the same thing??

Thanks.

</font>
Picked up our MB EX-L RES today and we too have a red stuck pixel. I was ready to call the dealer but figured I'd check here to see if anyone else has a similar problem. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the stuck pixel really bothers you, I would go ahead and see if Honda will replace it. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

Greg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now I have another problem. I just tested the AUX port this afternoon. I connected my digital camcorder, VCA, and digital camera to the AUX port, however, I see double pictures/images on the screen. The picture quality (color mix) is awefully bad. For example, beautiful blue ocean becomes white cloud. I changed different AV cables and video sources, the problem persists.

</font>
I just attached our Sony DCR-PC110 camcorder to the aux ports, and it worked great.

My next project is try creating some video-cd's with CD-R and CD-RW media to see if the DVD player can read these (the manual says you can't, but so does my home DVD player and it works with CD-RW's.)

Greg

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hadn't thought of hooking up my camcorder to the aux ports, nice to know that works great. I want to try burning a DVD-R and see if that works.

------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES on
order, build date 10/28 (Sunday?)
'98 Explorer XLT
'94 Prism Lsi

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by czygmont:
I hadn't thought of hooking up my camcorder to the aux ports, nice to know that works great. I want to try burning a DVD-R and see if that works.

</font>
What hardware are you using to burn a DVD-R? How well do you like it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got my 2002 MB EXL-RES and tested a VCD. It works great! I recorded the movie on CD-RW using Nero Burning Rom. Feel free to email me if you need any help!

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bt:
Thanks for the input. I still don't have my Oddy yet.
This is the way I understand the installation of my VCP will be accomplished. I am under the impression that the storage compartment can be removed by taking out a couple of screws. Is this possible? If so, it really doesn't matter how wide the storage compartment is. The VCP will sit on the floor (hopefully anchored) at the bottom of the center console and probably stick out on either side. Does that sound reasonable or is the dealer blowing smoke?
</font>
The way I understand it, the storage compartment does come out. In fact, the I-ves system is meant to fit there in place of it. Is that what you're getting?

·
Registered
32 Posts
What hardware are you using to burn a DVD-R? How well do you like it?

</font>
I don't actually have the computer, yet. But I had my brother burn a "test disk" on a PowerMac G4 with a Superdrive (DVD-R) using iDVD. I had him do this so that I could purchase a home theater system that will play these disks and hopefully on the Ody as well, I just don't have my new minivan yet. I plan to purchase a PowerMac next month, I just needed a test disk before that.

I was really pleased with the DVD he made, but I don't have much experience using the software yet.
------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES on
order, build date 10/28 (Sunday?)
'98 Explorer XLT
'94 Prism Lsi

[This message has been edited by czygmont (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3odys4me:
The way I understand it, the storage compartment does come out. In fact, the I-ves system is meant to fit there in place of it. Is that what you're getting?</font>
My Oddy will be a RES w/DVD. All my kids tapes are on VHS so I want to put a video cassette tape player in. I was under the impression that there was not enough room under the DVD player. However, the dealer's install guy seems to think there is if you were to remove the lower storage compartment. I purchased an ac/dc video cassette player from a local retail store and the dealer has it in their possesion to install whenever my van arrives.

After reading the earlier post about the CDRW working I don't think I should need the VCP player.

FLozito: You should post your VCD results in the post titled Manual says RES plays Video CDs. I've been waiting to hear the excellent results for at least a month. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
If I can get CDVs to work in the DVD player my problems are solved!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by bt (edited 10-08-2001).]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts