Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Just returned from a 2242 mile trip in my 2023 Odyssey Touring

1283 16
To view the fall foliage. Pleased with the fuel economy and comfort of the vehicle. I averaged 26.7 MPG for the entire trip. Lots of miles on mountainous backroads as I intentionally avoided highways while traveling from FL to WVA through GA, SC, NC, TN, VA, and KY.
Reactions: gdgbd and tyman
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
To view the fall foliage. Pleased with the fuel economy and comfort of the vehicle. I averaged 26.7 MPG for the entire trip. Lots of miles on mountainous backroads as I intentionally avoided highways while traveling from FL to WVA through GA, SC, NC, TN, VA, and KY.
Nice trip! Any pics to share?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I enjoy the ody so much for Road trips. We get 26.5-30mpg (per the trip screen). The mileage goes way down when over 81mph (goes to and stays in 9th gear). Mountains don't seem to hurt the mileage if you manage throttle properly. I have noticed that the trip meter is about 6% over the actual mileage.

A little anecdote, we just flew and rented a Tahoe for a few days. Couldn't stand it in so many ways (driver interface mostly) and now loving being back in the ody again today. Just needed to vent, and I agree with your comments about comfort and fuel economy of the ody

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I recently completed my first road trip out west for the winter. Coming from a 4th gen with 280k miles, the 5th gen Elite was all plus except for the lane centering fighting me. I have it to minimal (can I turn it off?) With hands at the 11:00 & 2:00 position zero issue. I drive with one hand at the 8:00 or 4:00 position. I had the same issue driving cross country in a GV80.
My wife notices nothing!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I recently completed my first road trip out west for the winter. Coming from a 4th gen with 280k miles, the 5th gen Elite was all plus except for the lane centering fighting me. I have it to minimal (can I turn it off?) With hands at the 11:00 & 2:00 position zero issue. I drive with one hand at the 8:00 or 4:00 position. I had the same issue driving cross country in a GV80.
My wife notices nothing!
either you are not trusting the LKAS (don't fight, let your Ody take care of its business but just keep your hands on the steering) or issue with your Ody, my 2019 Canadian touring's LKAS & ACC work perfectly & reduce so much stress on long trips:)

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L
103 Posts
I tend to hang a little right in the right lane (and left in the left lane) to give myself a little more space from the idgits who can't be bothered to stay in their lane around curves in the road while they play on their phones and put on their makeup. LKAS doesn't tend to like that...

My 2015 does not have LKAS of course but I've driven several Hondas at work that are so equipped and I typically drive with it off. It is nice to have available sometimes though, and I did use it when on a longer trip.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,427 Posts
I prefer passive safety systems like blind spot warnings and backup cameras. Stuff that actually affects the motion of the vehicle on its own? No thanks.

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think John might be referring to RDM (not LKAS).

The LKAS is always off until you hit the /o\ button on the steering wheel. LKAS makes it easy to stay in your lane, and give gentle guidance based on lines in the road. Since this is default to off, I don't think this is the problem.

RDM is a user-customizable setting. It gently shakes the wheel when weaving into painted lines, and will have an audible alarm and hit the brakes when crossing them. I think this is what John is referring to. The braking can be upsetting when you don't need it to brake. My ody will do this sometimes when entering a highway, rdm thinks the seam at end of ramp is a painted line. RDM can be user set to normal, wide, or signal only (which will alarm and shake wheel, but not brake). I'd hate to do alarm only or just turn it off, cuz it's a nice feature most of the time. The way to avoid those unwanted and terrifying braking events, is to use the blinker when crossing those lines... like entering highway, moving into a margin area on right before turning into a business, etc. Using the blinker let's the rdm know that you're paying attention and not asleep.

If you need to turn it off, the button is lower left dash near the traction control. It looks like a car with a circle around it.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Odyssey Touring
55 Posts
We've done Michigan to Florida and Michigan to Georgia in our 2022 Touring and it's fantastic for road trips. Could drive it all day (I did, in fact) with zero fatigue. Very competently driving vehicle. Biggest annoyance in my opinion is the auto cruise control that can't hold a steady speed to save its life (I see +/- 4mph from set speed).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I rarely get over 24 MPG, but my cruise control is usually set at 80-85. I usually manage to get 26 MPG in the 70-75 MPH range. I once read that 78 MPH is the magic number at which MPG starts to drop significantly. When I'm not road tripping I typically get 19.5 MPG, which is great for a big, heavy car!

·
Registered
62 Posts
We've done Michigan to Florida and Michigan to Georgia in our 2022 Touring and it's fantastic for road trips. Could drive it all day (I did, in fact) with zero fatigue. Very competently driving vehicle. Biggest annoyance in my opinion is the auto cruise control that can't hold a steady speed to save its life (I see +/- 4mph from set speed).
There's a trick that I learned with the adaptive cruise control. It can be overly sensitive, but you can over-ride that by applying throttle to keep closer distance in heavy traffic, or accelerate back up to speed faster

1 - 17 of 17 Posts