Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

2016 EXL van here, purchased new in 2016, currently has 62K on it.

Last summer started to notice a juttering when van was shifting in lower gears between 10mph-40mph. Nothing big, just a vibration and rumble as it went into each lower gear. It also hesitates somewhat (rmps go up and down like it's trying to get into x gear) around 40mph.

I'm terrified to take into dealer with that diagnosis, lol, so any help would be nice. I get regular oil changes and transmission fluid flushes done by the shop.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

· Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Welcome to Odyclub!

Your statement "I get regular oil changes and transmission fluid flushes done by the shop" scares me a bit. You're not supposed to do a transmission "flush" using a powered fluid exchange machine on Honda transmissions. Honda transmissions are supposed to have their fluids changed using gravity only - a basic drain-and-fill. Even the dealerships do it this way. I hope whatever shop has been doing your maintenance for you knows this and has been doing it properly (and using a proper ATF) even if they use the wrong terminology. Otherwise going to a non-dealer shop is not saving you any money.

There is a warranty-covered TSB that deals with transmission judder - it involves a transmission software update and a triple drain-and-fill to get nearly all of the ATF refreshed. If you go to your friendly neighbourhood Honda dealer and complain of a transmission "judder" - you have to use that word specifically - they will twig onto the right thing to look for.

If you want to prompt the service writer or get an idea of what they should be saying and doing, have a look at TSB 17-043 at the link below

· Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,416 Posts
I get regular oil changes and transmission fluid flushes done by the shop.
To add on to the above... what EXACT transmission fluid is the shop using, along with what EXACT procedure they are doing to "flush" the transmission?

A 3x drain+fill with the OEM DW-1 fluid would be a good way to get back to 'baseline' to see if this is a fluid issue.

-Charlie

Reactions: MDL205

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to Odyclub!

Your statement "I get regular oil changes and transmission fluid flushes done by the shop" scares me a bit. You're not supposed to do a transmission "flush" using a powered fluid exchange machine on Honda transmissions. Honda transmissions are supposed to have their fluids changed using gravity only - a basic drain-and-fill. Even the dealerships do it this way. I hope whatever shop has been doing your maintenance for you knows this and has been doing it properly (and using a proper ATF) even if they use the wrong terminology. Otherwise going to a non-dealer shop is not saving you any money.

There is a warranty-covered TSB that deals with transmission judder - it involves a transmission software update and a triple drain-and-fill to get nearly all of the ATF refreshed. If you go to your friendly neighbourhood Honda dealer and complain of a transmission "judder" - you have to use that word specifically - they will twig onto the right thing to look for.

If you want to prompt the service writer or get an idea of what they should be saying and doing, have a look at TSB 17-043 at the link below

Thanks a ton to both CroMath and Phattyduck. By "flush" I simply meant my mechanic did the recommended transmission fluid change per manual. I'm uncertain as to the specific procedure, but he's been our family mechanic for decades and I've had no issues.

However, I did find that bulletin, and have scheduled a dealership visit to address it. Thanks guys!

· Registered
5,068 Posts
Thanks a ton to both CroMath and Phattyduck. By "flush" I simply meant my mechanic did the recommended transmission fluid change per manual. I'm uncertain as to the specific procedure, but he's been our family mechanic for decades and I've had no issues.

However, I did find that bulletin, and have scheduled a dealership visit to address it. Thanks guys!
how handy are you mechanically? can you change your own engine oil?
If yes, you should tackle the transmission oil changes yourself, and save a notable amount of money on taxes and labour.

The consensus around here is use either Honda oem DW1 or Valvoline maxlife synthetic ATF fluid.

if you're flush with cash, use amsoil.

· Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,416 Posts
The consensus around here is use either Honda oem DW1 or Valvoline maxlife synthetic ATF fluid.
The OEM DW-1 will be a good 'baseline' to make sure fluid isn't the issue. I personally run the Valvoline MaxLife.

Unless that mechanic has a long history of keeping Honda V6 automatic transmissions running well, it may not be a valid assumption to assume the correct fluid and procedure was used.

-Charlie

· Registered
23 Posts

Thank you. The Service Bulletin thread is awesome! I can feel my 2015 'judder' slightly, much improved after I changed the transmission fluid. I have 88K, no warranty for me. We can do the triple drain and fill- should we do that first and then take it in to have the software updated by the shop?

· Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Thank you. The Service Bulletin thread is awesome! I can feel my 2015 'judder' slightly, much improved after I changed the transmission fluid. I have 88K, no warranty for me. We can do the triple drain and fill- should we do that first and then take it in to have the software updated by the shop?
Goodness no! Don't do anything about it yourself!

The TSB involves a triple drain-and-fill along with the software update, all done by the dealer and more importantly all paid for by Honda. Let the dealer see it at its worst.

· Registered
23 Posts
Goodness no! Don't do anything about it yourself!

The TSB involves a triple drain-and-fill along with the software update, all done by the dealer and more importantly all paid for by Honda. Let the dealer see it at its worst.
Can do! Would be great if they take care of it! I did buy the car second hand, with 85K. The dealership will still take care of it? Meg

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
Can do! Would be great if they take care of it! I did buy the car second hand, with 85K. The dealership will still take care of it? Meg
Certainly won't hurt to ask.

· Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,416 Posts
You may also be able to pay them to update the software (if available) outside of the TSB, maybe with a single drain and fill. Then DIY fluid changes from there on out.

I found that it took a couple drain and fills to completely fix the mid-speed shifting issues on our '16 van. Never got any programming updates, but I think it was near 'final' firmware by '16.

-Charlie

Reactions: midwestmeg

· Registered
909 Posts
Lubegard transmission protectant and maxlife fluid completely eliminated the judder on our 15 ody.
After 50 or so miles of driving and 3 drain and fills.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey all just replying here with an update: issue fixed! I printed out the service bulletin, took it in, told them the issue, and they followed the fix: triple flush and software update.

One downside: NOT COVERED. I was 68K, and way past the power train, they said. Instead of charging me $150/flush x x, they just charged me $390 for it all.

Van shifts smooth as butter now, zero judder or hesitation.

Is there a fund or appeal issue I can email or write to? Why wasn't it covered?

· Registered
2013 Odyssey Touring, 2018 Volvo V60
285 Posts
Hey all just replying here with an update: issue fixed! I printed out the service bulletin, took it in, told them the issue, and they followed the fix: triple flush and software update.

One downside: NOT COVERED. I was 68K, and way past the power train, they said. Instead of charging me $150/flush x x, they just charged me $390 for it all.

Being pedantic, they didn't flush your fluid, they drained and refilled. ;)

As for why it wasn't covered, it's because it is a technical service bulletin and not a recall. Dealerships may vary in how they handle this but, in my experience, dealerships will generally charge you to address TSB's outside the warranty period.

· Premium Member
3,167 Posts

I'm glad it got fixed for you, but it should have been covered. Here's a snip from page 2 of TSB A17-043

Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Pattern

I think a phone call back to the dealership would be worthwhile; the coverage statement is there and it's clear as day. If that doesn't work, go up the ladder to American Honda.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm glad it got fixed for you, but it should have been covered. Here's a snip from page 2 of TSB A17-043

View attachment 169565

I think a phone call back to the dealership would be worthwhile; the coverage statement is there and it's clear as day. If that doesn't work, go up the ladder to American Honda.
You rock. I double checked and you're totally right. I called them, had them pull up the bulletin and they're "on the case" to resolve it. Will confirm when they refund me.

This blog rules!

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
That's cool. I wasn't aware this TSB had a separate warranty. Most TSBs don't.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.