Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone use K&N air filter on '18 ody yet? I'm thinking of replacing the OEM with it and would like some feed back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have anyone use K&N air filter on '18 ody yet? I'm thinking of replacing the OEM with it and would like some feed back.
K&N stands for Krappy & Nasty. Your throttle body will get gummed up with oil from that K&N. Stick with a good quality paper filter - they really don't need to be changed that often.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,362 Posts
I'm afraid I don't agree with Aviator6. I've used K&N air filters on all my vehicles for the past 20 years and never had throttle body gum ups. To be fair, I've always cleaned and oiled the filters with their products and as needed. Like anything else, if you let the filter get gummed up, Aviator6 is 100 percent correct - there will be problems that extend to the throttle body. I've noticed a sizable difference in power with a K&N filter.

·
Registered
11,886 Posts
Kendra and Natalie are a waste of money. You pay a ton for the filter then have to buy all their product to clean and oil it. Then, after all that, you get no performance improvement. It's not the throttle body that's the problem. The oil from the filter can get on the mass air flow sensor and gum it up over time. If you used one for years and never had a problem maybe you didn't have a MAF (not all engines have a MAF.)

I wouldn't waste your money. The best thing you can do is use the OEM Honda filters. That will give you the best performance.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
The paper filter cost less than 10 bucks shipped from amazon. Out with the old, in with the new, done. Why spend extra time and money cleaning a filter when you can just replace it?

Anyone that says they got better HP and MPG gains from K&N panel filters is lying, that's just your placebo effect. Come back with dyno proof, then we'll see. No, your van's MPG calculator is not authentic evidence for MPG claims.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,362 Posts
Mr.Ranger, I never made a claim about increased gas mileage. All I'm saying is I noticed much better performance while using a K&N filter in all my earlier Honda, Toyota, and Volkswagen cars. I'm still using the paper issue filter in my 2018 Odyssey. Perhaps the K&N filter would make no difference, thanks to upgraded technology. Stop calling people liars!!!!! It's people like you who make me want to just leave this forum.

·
Registered
11,886 Posts
Man, you gotta get thicker skin to be on the Internet. Sometimes things aren't as personal as they seem.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Mr.Ranger, I never made a claim about increased gas mileage. All I'm saying is I noticed much better performance while using a K&N filter in all my earlier Honda, Toyota, and Volkswagen cars. I'm still using the paper issue filter in my 2018 Odyssey. Perhaps the K&N filter would make no difference, thanks to upgraded technology. Stop calling people liars!!!!! It's people like you who make me want to just leave this forum.
WOAH! Triggered again? You need to get help, go see a psychologist or something, I'm serious. You almost killed your granddaughter and starting flaming on Honda and technology: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/81-2018-odyssey/346595-serious-safety-issue.html

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,362 Posts
Apologies, guys. You're right. Please let me start again :).

I never had any issues with the K&N filters. In fact, I always noticed a noticeable increase in power. This was with the older cars. Perhaps the 2018 software and engine design would negate any benefits. Perhaps I'll stick with the paper ones from Honda for now. Thanks...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used K&N air filters on both my 2005 Odyssey and 2006 S-2000 since they were new. I have had no problems with them at all. I can’t say I noticed any great performance or mileage increases as I installed them when both vehicles were new. The 2005 Odyssey never got below 18 MPG and usually produced 20-24 MPG. The S-2000 runs between 25-30 MPG. While the initial investment may be high the design of the K&N filters gives them a long life between cleanings of about 30,000 miles. Cleaning is simple and straight forward and the instructions tell you not to use too much oil. I found it easier to just clean the air filter while doing a car wash then it was having to drive to a parts store to buy new filters.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I tried a K&N on a previous vehicle, was not happy with the quality of the air it delivered. There was visible extremely fine silt dust on the intake plumbing between the filter and manifold that wasn't there with the paper filter.

Power didn't seem much different and gas mileage was too close to pick a winner.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I find it amusing that people would think filters such as K&N would provide benefits such as power or fuel savings. If it were that simple, why wouldn’t the car manufacture, who has spent probably hundreds of millions on development on gas saving tech like VCM, direct injection, etc, etc, would just use a K&N filter instead?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I find it amusing that people would think filters such as K&N would provide benefits such as power or fuel savings. If it were that simple, why wouldn’t the car manufacture, who has spent probably hundreds of millions on development on gas saving tech like VCM, direct injection, etc, etc, would just use a K&N filter instead?
Agree 100%

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've used K&N drop in fiters on my old Ody and Accord. Both V6. Have well over 100K miles, and from almost day 1. Never had an issue. I did not notice any increase in performance or MPG, and that was NOT my point. It just seem like a waste to throw away a dirty air filter.

Like many have said, just don't over oil it. Always under oil the filter, because people natually will over oil them.

It was not because of cost or money. But if you want to talk about money, here is my accounting. I paid $60 for K&N. I got my $$ back in use after 5 years (assume we change it every year). I kept the K&N filter in very good conidtion. And later sold it on ebay. So I guess in some ways, it cost me nothing and it actually paid me back.

I don't have K&N on my current 2014 Ody only because I didn't feel like making the investment. At the time, I had 3 K&N filter cars. I gave away the cleaning kit and such. Plus I lost interest in tooling around cars (in my old age).

I would do K&N again. And recommend it if an owner wishes to use it.

Outside of NOT over oil it, I would say you need to set aside the time to clean it, wait to dry, oil it, wait, rest it on a newspaper, wait, then install. You car may be out of service. So plan ahead.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Don't waste your money. This is not a performance vehicle. You will never see a performance difference with an aftermarket air filter, plug wires etc.

You may hear more engine noise if you remove the stock air filter, if that's what you want. If you are throwing codes for misfires, you might want replace the offending plug wire (and plug?) with an OEM plug wire (under warranty, until 60k). If not, let it be. The computer regulates fuel flow optimize performance, even if the air filter is somewhat plugged with dust. You couldn't feel that either. My 2000 Odyssey ran fine on the OEM wires after 250k.
, no codes.

Then - there's the warranty issue to consider. Mess with the vehicle, it can become the dealer's discretion as to whether he chooses to honor the warranty, although for the life of me I can't see how changing the air filter coulld cause a malfunction - unless an aftermarket air filter could allow larger particulates to pass through it, causing increased engine wear. Is that what K&N does?

I have used aftermarket transmission coolers for years, and that may or may not be worth it, depending on how often one changes transmission fluid. With transmissions, lower fluid temperatures equals longer life. That's a fact. Heat can kill transmission fluid.

Some of these aftermarket items are bogus, although K&N has a good rep among enthusiasts. Have you seen the Lucas gear train in auto parts stores that shows more oil sticking to the gears when you crank the handle? More friction, more heat, less mileage. Remember STP? That was refined soap that thickened engine oil, decreasing mileage. Made Mr. G millions.

Testimonials aren't worth much. When I was a kid I thought an oil change helped performance and the car ran smoother and had more power. These forums are full of testimonial "evidence". Don't believe it.

The one aftermarket product that may help is Chevron gasoline additive with Techron, sold in Costco and many other places. Dealerships use it. That, I can hear at the exhaust pipe after many thousands of miles. Tier 1 gasoline has a better additive package, which supports the use of this additive. Manufacturers say no, don't use additives.

I have a friend with a diesel truck that has a little gauge that monitors air filter performance. That gauge is still in the green band after 13 years and 180k. So - he still has the original air filter installed in his truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its all about air in, and air out. Depending on a number of factors, from car to car, if you improve the air intake with a freer flowing filter you can see range from no benefit to a combination of power gain and economy. Ive used K&N filter on every car I've owned in the past 30 years including all of the 10 cars in my garage now. Only needed to clean the MAF on my 1998 Ford Expedition at right around 120k miles due to filter oil residue. A little throttle body cleaner and good as new.

My 2005 Odyssey was notably quicker off the line and pulled stronger at high altitude with the K&N filter and DIY cold air intake mod. Also interesting that cylinder deactivation limit was increased from 82 MPH to almost 87. Actually ran that van across Bonneville salt flat with the whole family at 130 MPH flat out. Had air suspension and 255/45-18 wheels/tires that would carve any backroad as well as any sports car. Sold the 2005 to a Honda dealer salesman with 152k miles and still running strong.

My 2016 Odyssey doesnt seem as strong or nimble as the 2005. They did do a great job on cold air intake on the 2016, but still a bit of a letdown in performance. For the 2016 the K&N filter did increase measured fuel economy from 28 MPG for highway travel to just shy of 32 when I keep it at 70MPH.

Every car is different. 2005 VW Beetle 2.0 gets nothing out of a K&N filter. A 1986 Vanagon is night and day, way stronger... Probably 10-15 HP. Can keep the AC on when climbing long grades. 2013 FIAT Abarth with K&N filter launches way quicker than with OEM paper filter.

"Testimonials" are exaclty why we're here on a forum. Its exaclty why we read product reviews on Amazon. They are the real world experiences of people using the product your interested in. Read and make your own judgment of credibility.

If they are so good why dont the manufacturers put them in at the factory?
1. Because they dont spend 1 penny more than necessary to be competitive for price point or performance.
2. Increased airflow also increases intake noise volume. Not preferred by typical mini van buyer.
3. They build for durability in any climate and service neglect. K&N filters are not suited for dusty conditions.

Why bother on a Honda Odyssey? Because for being a mini van the Honda 3.5 is kick ass fast from the showroom and with a few mods and a tune will surprise and run away from most other traffic while carrying more people and equipment than a Suburban. If you still dont see the point than youre probably not even aware of the color your car is, and your probably the person in my way poking along in the left lane.

1886 VW Vanagon
2000 MR2 Spyder
2003 Hummer H2
2005 Beetle Convertible
2005 R53 Cooper JCW
2009 Smart Fortwo
2009 370Z Touring
2013 FIAT Abarth
2014 MINI Paceman ALL4 S
2917 Odyssey EXL

All running K&N with varying but generally favorable results. They will continue to be the first thing I install.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts