Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a K&N for my 2.3L Accord. I notice a little improvement in throttle response. Would it make a big difference in the Odyssey's throttle response, MPG, and power? Since the Odyssey has a 3.5L engine, will there be a bigger differnce then in a 2.3L engine.
Does anybody have one for their van? All replies appreciated.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I do not think so as the original filter is has synthetic media for filtration and not cellulose (Paper).

Also, please be aware that by using K&N type
filter, you are letting more dirt enter your engine (less protection for your engine).

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

·
Registered
211 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also, please be aware that by using K&N type
filter, you are letting more dirt enter your engine (less protection for your engine).</font>
K&N Filters do have larger openings, but if they are oiled properly, they should filter the air at least as good, if not better than regular filters. They were originally developed for use by off-road racers, where filtration is critical. The key is oiling them at least every 6 months. If you let them get to dry, they don't filter as well as normal. I have been using them on every vehicle I owned for 25 years, and I am very happy with the performance. I'll get one for our Ody as soon as we get an '02 EX model.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris Teague:
K&N Filters do have larger openings, but if they are oiled properly, they should filter the air at least as good, if not better than regular filters. They were originally developed for use by off-road racers, where filtration is critical. The key is oiling them at least every 6 months. If you let them get to dry, they don't filter as well as normal. I have been using them on every vehicle I owned for 25 years, and I am very happy with the performance. I'll get one for our Ody as soon as we get an '02 EX model.

Chris
</font>
I don't know if they filter better or worse. I did note that K&N makes no claim in their extensive literature comparing the filtration efficacy/efficiency to standard filters. I'm guessing they would proudly tout this if it was measurably better. I emailed them a couple times about this, and they replied with non-answers. At one point, I did find a couple websites with some "measurements", some showed it better, some worse, and both seemed biased one way or another.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There are test studies out there by Car and Driver and others that show absolutely no performance advantage when using K&N air filters. No increase hp on the dyno, no improved speed times.
It's marketing hype people. Just use the OEM filter.

------------------
Soon 2B '02 Ody EX-L & '02 MDX
'01 S2K

·
Registered
215 Posts
K&N's own web site says that filtration efficency improves with time. That tells me that a clean fresh clean filter is not doing as good a job as a dirtier one. Less restriction equals less filtration. I also question the comparison of any type of racing with street driving. How many race engines are around for 100k or more without a rebuild? The only objective in racing is to be in the winners circle after a few miles and the engines are rebuilt frequently, sometimes after each race. They have sponsors to pick up the tab.
I have also observed where the engine is taking its air from in the Nascar series cars. Looks like it's taking it from the drivers compartment. Right or wrong? (not only would the air be cooler, but also cleaner. However, the much touted ram-air effect would be gone. Enlighten me. I also have not abserved any off road racers with their air intake located anywhere near as low as the one on the Ody.
I also have a 444 cu.in turbo diesel. The piping downstream of my filter has always been clean as can be, yet several K&N users on the diesel website for my truck have reported dust in their intake piping.

Regards
Al

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have used K&N's in both my Accords with great results. Better acceleration and passing and better top end. I figure 2-3 extra horsepower. Air box always clean as a whistle. I keep them clean and oiled. I know that when a K&N is installed on a motorcycle it usually requires re-jetting the carbs or an aftermarket engine management module that can be remapped. I think the car's module can sense the small airflow difference and compensate. And, it's nice to hear the intake Honk every once in while.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I plan to put a K&N on my 2002. Does anyone know if the 2001 K&N will fit the 2002? K&N says they will have to obtain a 2002 filter and look at it first, and this will be months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts