Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine put this page up recently.

K&N Filter

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
585 Posts
hmmm

interesting. What was the general consensus on these? I've had 2 people in the last week ask me if I had bought one for my ody yet..

I guess I'll go dig for the thread...

Found it!

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000001.html
------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI (1700 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'super bright' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 07-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Registered
318 Posts
These racing type performance air filters are designed to flow more air at the expense of being less efficient at preventing dirt from entering the engine which could eventually result in more engine wear.

Performance improvements for stock engine is very minimal.

There cost is prohibitive compared to a regular filter. They can be cleaned but the process is quite messy and you need to let the filter dry completely before oiling it.

FYI, racing type filters are meant for racing cars. They are designed to provide the most horsepower so that the car can win the race. It is not designed to protect an engine for a long service life.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

RobertC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
hmmm

interesting. What was the general consensus on these? I've had 2 people in the last week ask me if I had bought one for my ody yet..

I guess I'll go dig for the thread...

Found it!

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000001.html
</font>

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'll take every chance I can to express my total disapproval of K&N air filters. They're marketed as the "million mile" filter; one lasted in my '94 Chevy K1500 pickup for about 3 years and 25K miles before the thin cotton filtering element disintegrated. K&N is running a marketing gimmick to get you to buy their overpriced filter and then all the cleaning and re-oiling supplies - IMHO, the filter itself is useless in any type of passenger vehicle. I agree with Robertc; they're better used in a race car where they're replaced after every single race, not in a daily driver. Save your $$ and buy good-quality paper-element filters and change them twice a year.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't claim to know if they work or not, but I think they are overpriced and make exagerated claims. I remember reading somewhere that they claimed a 5 hp increase on a Porsche, and according to the Prosche factory there isn't any horsepower increase even if you run without a filter entirely!
John

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I have a cone-type K&N on my Civic Si and am happy with it so far (1 year after installation). However, this is part of a cold air induction kit, so I'm not able to gauge how effective the filter itself is.

I've heard from several sources that the drop-in ones that go in your stock airbox don't give you much, if anything, in the performance department.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've been running K&N filters on a wide variety of vehicles over about 20 years or so and have experienced ZERO problems or failures. They do a good job IMO, but as always "your results may vary"!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts