Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Odyssey LX (manual doors) with 105,000 miles mostly city driving, a few long trips, and a few bush whacking Boy Scout trips. The body is shot and electrical getting flaky but it runs OK. Leans a bit right--always has....I do not like to drive over 65 on the highway with it. I really only put about 3,000 miles a year on it now (mostly back and forth to work for 3 miles, the occasional junk yard trip). My wife wants me to get a new car and I have mixed feelings. I check everything at least once a month, run the OBDC, and keep pretty much the maintenance schedule at the dealership. Had the timing chain replaced around 90K. Should I keep hanging on to it? Is the transmission a ticking time bomb? Just thinking out loud. Trying to be logical about it. Got two boys in college so if I can kick the can a bit it would help.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I had an 01 with tranny issues but I still used it until higher miles. If it is not giving you too much trouble considering a used van and your timing belt was done, the rest is standard (other) maintenance as with any car... suspension, brakes, blah blah. We would have kept it longer but both our cars are old. We wanted to upgrade a little (but could not go to latest and greatest). In fact I still have some new OEM parts for my old ody that I need to clean out.

Now that your kids are out (we have scout trips still), may be you are looking to move from van to a sedan? Or a van with newer tech? Or maybe sell this and go up to a used slightly higher year?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an 01 with tranny issues but I still used it until higher miles. If it is not giving you too much trouble considering a used van and your timing belt was done, the rest is standard (other) maintenance as with any car... suspension, brakes, blah blah. We would have kept it longer but both our cars are old. We wanted to upgrade a little (but could not go to latest and greatest). In fact I still have some new OEM parts for my old ody that I need to clean out.

Now that your kids are out (we have scout trips still), may be you are looking to move from van to a sedan? Or a van with newer tech? Or maybe sell this and go up to a used slightly higher year?
Thanks for replying.

I think for my next car I will probably get a small one. I like small cars but it is hard to give up that great Ody drivers seat view. I'd probably go new next time.

No I am Assistant Scout Master emeritus standard now. Both my boys aged out but did hang around a bit in the Troop between 18-20. Both made Eagle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Keep. My 2003 has 160k wth no issues and travels to work and back about 10 miles a day. Very cheap van for travel. But I am cheap.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have a 2003 Ody, bought it used from a friend a few years ago with 144K on it. It has 220K+ on it now. There are a few spots on the body that are dinged and a little bit of rust, but it runs great. We used it several years to tow our pop up camper, maybe 14K miles. I keep up on the fluid maintenance and everything is fine. My recommendation is that if you are OK with the look and driving an older vehicle, keep it and keep it maintained. You could easily get many more years of life out of it. Cost of operation is low / year at this point. If you are having driving issues / lean / vibration... Probably need to do some work on the front suspension, which is cheap if you DIY, but for what you are saying you use it for, maybe just skip and drive it.

I like to think that with older cars, as long as they are safe and there is not a critical reliability issue, then you just maintain them and drive them until they quit, which can be 20+ years now. It saves a huge amount of $ if you are able to do that. You can use that $ for other things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2003 Ody, bought it used from a friend a few years ago with 144K on it. It has 220K+ on it now. There are a few spots on the body that are dinged and a little bit of rust, but it runs great. We used it several years to tow our pop up camper, maybe 14K miles. I keep up on the fluid maintenance and everything is fine. My recommendation is that if you are OK with the look and driving an older vehicle, keep it and keep it maintained. You could easily get many more years of life out of it. Cost of operation is low / year at this point. If you are having driving issues / lean / vibration... Probably need to do some work on the front suspension, which is cheap if you DIY, but for what you are saying you use it for, maybe just skip and drive it.

I like to think that with older cars, as long as they are safe and there is not a critical reliability issue, then you just maintain them and drive them until they quit, which can be 20+ years now. It saves a huge amount of $ if you are able to do that. You can use that $ for other things.
Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
I wrote a tutorial on how to fix alignment, using no string. basically you use a measuring tape the front and back of each wheel should be the same measurement, then subtract 1/8" in the front part for proper toe-in. basically look at both of your front wheels , the front of that wheel and the back of the wheels should be almost the same measurement, that's how you know they are straight, also the threads at the end of the tie rod ends should be about the same number of threads on both sides, even if you got the same measurements before having unequal number of threads on one side would make the car veer to one side. just look up my tutorials. once you do that just make adjustments until your car track straight. sounds hard but takes 15 minutes once you figure it out. this assumes your tie rod ends aren't loose and bad. if you're crazy enough look up my channel on youtube under eksine and I have a 29 part video series on how to rebuild the transmission, I also have articles on here about it. I'd run the van til it doesn't run. you can get caravans really cheap too, get the newest year you can

I have a 2003 Odyssey LX (manual doors) with 105,000 miles mostly city driving, a few long trips, and a few bush whacking Boy Scout trips. The body is shot and electrical getting flaky but it runs OK. Leans a bit right--always has....I do not like to drive over 65 on the highway with it. I really only put about 3,000 miles a year on it now (mostly back and forth to work for 3 miles, the occasional junk yard trip). My wife wants me to get a new car and I have mixed feelings. I check everything at least once a month, run the OBDC, and keep pretty much the maintenance schedule at the dealership. Had the timing chain replaced around 90K. Should I keep hanging on to it? Is the transmission a ticking time bomb? Just thinking out loud. Trying to be logical about it. Got two boys in college so if I can kick the can a bit it would help.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have a 2003 with 221K miles. It will likely go to 300K. If it works and there are no major issues, just keep driving it and doing maintenance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update. Ody is at 106,300 at almost 17 years use.

This is what I got right now:
(1) Transmission occasionally gives me a warning light and seems down in fluid. I run the OBD monitor says it is fine. Seems to stick a tad. I put in more fluid and seems OK for a while.
(2) Need new outer tie rods, one inner (right), and boot. I'd prefer not to do that one. I thought the tutorial was great.
(3) Need to replace tires (long story, not that interesting)
(4) Valve Cover Gasket leak (has been tolerable--valves look great) but accelerated last month. Making a mess. I have been putting off doing that one though it is within my abilities
(5) Power Steering seals or pump. Have a leak. I think it may just be seals.
(6) Lots of electrical problems. Back lights, head lights, dash lights. I think I may have some recurring shorts because of some water leaks. I have caulked a few spots (like rear lights as I assume rubber has gotten brittle. Sometimes it sits in monsoon rains.

Where I live we have had lots of pot holes, short trips, and brick streets. So the suspensions get beat to hell even if the engines which I maintain on a heavy use schedule are pretty good.

I really have much more important DIY tasks outside the Ody (which has become almost a hobby) and I need the hauling less so these days. I discussed with the household Senate Appropriations Committee (wife of 35 years) who said she was not comfortable with putting much more money in the vehicle and she thinks I should just get a new car (which at the rate things are going might be the last one). I usually get the used and cast off cars in the family--I think the last new one I got from the dealership was 1984.

So THAT said I think the family decision will be to replace the vehicle (still undecided on TYPE of vehicle class we need in the family 'fleet' mix). So my question is which would be the best way to sell it? The engine is still pretty good. Open to any ideas.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think craigslist works well if you are comfortable with that. There are also the car specific selling sites. I've bought a couple of cars off of craigslist with not issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts

(1) Transmission occasionally gives me a warning light and seems down in fluid. I run the OBD monitor says it is fine. Seems to stick a tad. I put in more fluid and seems OK for a while.
(2) Need new outer tie rods, one inner (right), and boot. I'd prefer not to do that one. I thought the tutorial was great.
(4) Valve Cover Gasket leak (has been tolerable--valves look great) but accelerated last month. Making a mess. I have been putting off doing that one though it is within my abilities
(6) Lots of electrical problems. Back lights, head lights, dash lights. I think I may have some recurring shorts because of some water leaks. I have caulked a few spots (like rear lights as I assume rubber has gotten brittle. Sometimes it sits in monsoon rains.
With only 106,300 miles, I'd love to say you might have another 17 years to go on the transmission, as my 2000 is at 230k with a failing transmission, but all those short trips may have taken more of a toll on the clutches than highway miles.
Personally, if mine had such low miles, I'd fix replace the tie rods (cheap parts from ebay and easy to replace), valve cover gasket (Honda OEM), and power steering seals before putting it on Facebook and/or Craigslist to make it a bit more appealing. That's just my 2¢

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

Where I live we have had lots of pot holes, short trips, and brick streets. So the suspensions get beat to hell even if the engines which I maintain on a heavy use schedule are pretty good.

I really have much more important DIY tasks outside the Ody (which has become almost a hobby) and I need the hauling less so these days. I discussed with the household Senate Appropriations Committee (wife of 35 years) who said she was not comfortable with putting much more money in the vehicle and she thinks I should just get a new car (which at the rate things are going might be the last one). I usually get the used and cast off cars in the family--I think the last new one I got from the dealership was 1984.

So THAT said I think the family decision will be to replace the vehicle (still undecided on TYPE of vehicle class we need in the family 'fleet' mix). So my question is which would be the best way to sell it? The engine is still pretty good. Open to any ideas.
Nothing on selling, but!!!!!
Make sure the ATF is clean (pinkish) and clear. You can even use the Valvoline MaxLife Dex\Merc ATF (that's what I use on my '03 Ody with 199k on it) and it only costs around $18 for a one gallon jug at Walmart.
If you buy two gallons, it is even free shipping. So, that means around $18 for a drain and fill. :D

It is very easy to change the ATF on the '03 Ody if you have the right long funnel to fit OVER the dipstick tube : I bought one (Black one with long spout) from Walmart for around $3.00. The fluid goes in very quickly and the job is pretty straight forward and simple. If you use a funnel, or tubing, that goes inside the dipstick tube, the fluid just goes in a LOT slower, that's all.

Keeping fresh fluid in that AT can really make a HUGE difference on the tranny's life.
Check for ATF leaks where the AT lines go into and out of the bottom of the radiator.
You should NOT be losing ATF.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
552 Posts
All of my Odys have gone to 200K+ miles without issues, including my current '03 at 221K. As noted above, regular fluid maintenance is super helpful. My '03 had some wheel vibration issues and I changed the outer tie rods on both sides and it made a huge difference, was easy to do and quite cheap. If you are handy, I would just fix stuff up, keep up with regular maintenance and keep driving the thing, they last a long time and you can save a great deal of $ that way.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Very happy with my 2003 Odyssey EXL Nav.. with 152K miles.

Things that failed -
1. Rear power windows dont work anymore, motor works but the mechanism is sluggish and wont respond properly (I keep them shut and dont use them)
2. One front wheel bearing failed, had both replaced
3. Oil leaked slowly, losing 1quart a month
4. Replaced PCV valve [may have been the cause for oil leaks\
5. Replaced spark plugs once at 100K miles
6. Replaced the gasket vtech [not sure if it was root cause for oil leak]
7. A lot of the oil leak has been arrested, there may still be some leak after replacing the PCV valve and the vtech gasket but its very minimal and manageable
8. Transmission failed, rebuilt transmission at 110000 miles

Except the transmission which set me back about $3000, most of the other failures required simple fixes. Now the car runs like I bought it yesterday and am more confident than ever on its reliability. This one is a keeper.

·
Registered
470 Posts
if you look up videos on YouTube it shows you how to wire a light bulb to the rear windows and that fixes it
.The problem is that the resistor went bad or something like that. I had to do that to my rear windows too
Very happy with my 2003 Odyssey EXL Nav.. with 152K miles.

Things that failed -
1. Rear power windows dont work anymore, motor works but the mechanism is sluggish and wont respond properly (I keep them shut and dont use them)
2. One front wheel bearing failed, had both replaced
3. Oil leaked slowly, losing 1quart a month
4. Replaced PCV valve [may have been the cause for oil leaks\
5. Replaced spark plugs once at 100K miles
6. Replaced the gasket vtech [not sure if it was root cause for oil leak]
7. A lot of the oil leak has been arrested, there may still be some leak after replacing the PCV valve and the vtech gasket but its very minimal and manageable
8. Transmission failed, rebuilt transmission at 110000 miles

Except the transmission which set me back about $3000, most of the other failures required simple fixes. Now the car runs like I bought it yesterday and am more confident than ever on its reliability. This one is a keeper.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thank you.. it seems to be a lot of work, to get the windows to function. I never found use of those windows, seem like a stupid and useless design.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts