Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're about to buy an 06 Odyssey, but have a lingering concern about securing cargo. The car seat installation people in my town are very concerned about having loose cargo in cars and always advise people to keep everything in their trunk. We now have a sedan and try to keep all cargo in the trunk, and have the dog buckled in the back seat next to the baby with a dog seatbelt (which is like a harness that you buckle into a regular seatbelt).
So how can you keep cargo secured in a minivan (or SUV, station wagon, etc.)? Can't it come flying out and hit people if there were an accident? And what to do with the dog? We could potentially buckle him into the third row, but would rather have that folded down for additional cargo (and we don't want his claws on the leather seats). Is there a way to secure the dog's seat belt in the cargo area? I am more concerned about the dog than the other cargo, both for his safety and also considering what a scared/injured dog might be acting like after an accident. He is a large dog so using a crate would not be our preferred option.
I'm not really the type to be paranoid, so let me know if you think I'm worrying too much about this or if these are valid concerns. I searched the archives somewhat and didn't see this discussion anywhere else, so I'm hoping to get some feedback here.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Loose 'cargo' is so often overlooked. It's ironic that everyone gets so concerned with seatbelts/safety features etc and commonly overlooks the projectiles.. whether that be the family dog or items from Home Depot! Some vehicles (especially those of Euro lineage) come with tie-down points however I don't know of anyone that makes this a habit.

I would guess that crating your dog is the best option and then securing the crate to the van with straps. There are some pretty amazing crates out there, though you may pay $$$ for them.

We have the doggy seatbelts though only used them a couple times when we rented a Jeep Wrangler (TJ).

·
Registered
66 Posts
For the dog:

In our '95 odyssey, I bought a seat belt from NAPA and mounted it to the rear most child seat tether's mounting location with 8mm bolt. The seat belt then goes around the dog's car harness.

In our 2004 Sienna Minivan, I got the longest length 'seatbelt extender' from the dealer (free from Toyota). I cut off male end and wrapped the remainder around the dog harness loop, securing it with lap belt hardware that is used in racing seatbelts. Now the dog's harness is the receptacle for the rear seatbelt lap/shoulder belt, and we use a child seat locking clip on the belt so the dog has a little bit of slack.

I do not know if either method will prevent the dog from impacting occupants in a collision, nor do I know if they will protect the dog, so copy at your own risk.

JQ

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm not a friend of a harness as it could potentially create severe injuries or even kill the dog in case of an accident. But in my European station wagons I always had a vertical cargo net separating the passenger and the cargo area. My dog sits (or lays) always with the back to the seatbacks. Therefore this works in my case.

I created a custom cargo shelf for my ('03) Ody - basically a 48x50 plywood on 2X4s. The dog is sitting on top; the cargo (at least most of it ;) ) fits below. To create a cargo net I took the existing net (Honda OEM) and simply mounted it behind the second row seats.

Here is the mounting:
- Small army straps (in olive) are going from the lower corners of the net around the mounting point of the outer armrests of the second row captain chairs.
- The OEM rubber bands of the net are going to the third row seats coat hooks (just to keep the net in shape)
- Wide cargo straps (in blue - see picture) securing the upper corners of the net all the way back to the third row seatbelt mountings.

It's not perfect but it works.
BTW: My dog is well trained and large enough not to fit easily through the hole between the seats and the net

See picture for details:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts