Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to our local Honda online saleman, Kelley Blue Book is nothing but a car guide. If that is the case, Kelley Blue Book (KBB) would be a bad car guide. The pricing in KBB is off from the dealer pricing anywhere from $2000 to $4500. I tend to believe the KBB more than the dealer saleman. The KBB have been around for a while. If they do all the lying, I don't think they are in business til now. Atleast the KBB pricing is available to public, and dealer pricing system never been available to public. They don't even tell me how they get their pricing value when I requested. What do you think?

P

·
0 Posts
From KBB:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The values in our books, which are trade publications intended for use by the wholesale industry, assume the Trade-In value of the vehicle plus the cost associated with restoring it to the manufacturers specification and performing all required safety checks to make the vehicle ready for sale. In other words, while Trade-In values vary depending on the condition of the vehicle, Retail values assume the car is in excellent condition. The value contained in the trade publications is widely used by dealers as a starting point to estimate a vehicle's value, depending on its condition.</font>
Maybe that solves it.

I believe KBB gets their values from real-world used car sales and has some formula that averages them or something. I got my Civic for Blue Book, and I think I got a good deal.

Michelle

·
Registered
120 Posts
One interesting site to check out is http://www.nadaguides.com/ ... this is the same NADA that publishes the books that most dealers go by when valuing a trade-in, and they have a online form you can use that's similar to Kelley or others. Also, you can buy the books themselves, although they are listed as "Consumer Edition" books -- a distinction that implies that you still aren't getting the same info that the dealer has. Interestly enough, the quote I got there for trade-in value for my Suburban was higher than Kelley or Edmunds quotes -- go figure.

------------------
'02 MB EXL-RES on order... woo!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Junior wrote:

One interesting site to check out is http://www.nadaguides.com/ ... this is the same NADA that publishes the books that most dealers go by when valuing a trade-in, and they have a online form you can use that's similar to Kelley or others. Also, you can buy the books themselves, although they are listed as "Consumer Edition" books -- a distinction that implies that you still aren't getting the same info that the dealer has. Interestly enough, the quote I got there for trade-in value for my Suburban was higher than Kelley or Edmunds quotes -- go figure.

I tried the NADA site you suggested. It didn't give me any trade-in value for the 2001 Odyssey. It only give me 2 Odyssey option, which fit the description of the manufacture option available in the Odyssey. I believe KBB have the true value of the vehicle. It have all the manufacture option of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Coleman_lot:
I believe KBB have the true value of the vehicle.</font>
The "true value" is what someone is actually willing to pay right now for a specific vehicle. It's not a number listed in some book or report for a model.

If a dealer is not anxious to increase his used car inventory in a particular model, he'll quote low prices for trade-ins. AFAIK, dealer are under no obligation to use KBB or any other guide. They don't have to take trade-ins at all, or if they have a booming used car business, they'll buy used cars from auctions, or other dealers, or give higher trade-in allowances.

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ ________________________ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces

·
Registered
71 Posts
Most dealers use the "black book" or values from the auction. I just bought and Ody and checked with multiple dealers for trade in. none were at KBB trade in value. They told me that KBB data is three months old. I wasn't too happy since their website diredcted me to the KBB website for trade value.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your best bet is to sell it yourself. Personally, I don't want the hassle. I have a wife and two young children and I don't want a lot of strangers calling and coming over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts