Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that it mounts directly to the drivers seat - can you actually feel the vibrations of the bass through the drivers seat?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
If you wanna feel the sensation of low F vibration, there is a product specifically designed for this purpose. Autotoys and alot of other places sell it. They are called Bass Shakers.

Otherwise, there are websites that show you how to fabricate your own "tactile transducer" using a low cost woofer as a driving means.

Just FYI, I know this doesn't answer your question, but something kinda cool.

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
Given that it mounts directly to the drivers seat - can you actually feel the vibrations of the bass through the drivers seat?</font>
Hmmm...I can see it now...My wife begging to drive the Ody again...and again...and again.

...and me wondering why she's playing the stereo so loud with bass-thumping music she never used to listen to...

Hmmm....? ;-)

------------------
RW
'02 SS EX (Navi Wanted, but not Leather--looking into Aftermarket Navi)
- Cargo Tray & Cover
- Mud Flaps
- Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
- Lots of Scotch-Guard
'89 Red Mazda B2200
'86 Gray Acura Legend (Tranny going out--replacing with Ody!)
'84 Honda V500 Interceptor Motorcycle
Past 'Fav: '86 Honda Prelude Si (totalled by an idiot from behind)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RWhittle:
Hmmm...I can see it now...My wife begging to drive the Ody again...and again...and again.

...and me wondering why she's playing the stereo so loud with bass-thumping music she never used to listen to...

Hmmm....? ;-)

</font>
LOL!!!! Hmmm.. my wife does seem to like driving my car alot..... (j/k)

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have an '01 non NAVI EX. The dealer mounted the 6 disc changer under the driver's seat and the Kelton subwoofer under the passenger's seat. I did have to adjust it down so that my wife wouldn't feel the bass excessively. It's not that she is averse to any bass, but thumping definitly not. Others have stated on different threads here about personal taste and experimentation in control adjustment. You will never get the thump of tube style subs, but you will appreciate the extra ooooomph!
I did use the shakers in my 1997 Odyssey. I did feel them. I did not hear them (they are not for hearing bass).My installer said that they were developed for home theater use, to give you the shake in your seat for emphasis and that they had been used as well in car installations.

------------------
'01 SS EX: Leather steering wheel wrap, fenderwell trim, splash guards, door guards, Honda cargo mat, Honda cargo tray, Honda 6 disc CD-changer, Honda cassette player, OEM Kelton subwoofer, Honda front speaker upgrade, Pioneer 1086 rear speaker (with baffles), Honda emergency repair bag, Honda trash chute, Honda glovebox organizer, WeatherTech front deflector, WeatherTech wind and storm shields, Thule roofrack system, Plug'n'Go center console, Ractive silver/kevlar shift knob, PIAA x-treme white 7440 reverse light bulbs, Sylvania CB-9003 OEM replacement headlight bulbs, fitted HeatShield sunshade.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I definitely can feel the bass booming through the seat from my Kelton, especially if I have the volume cranked up. Instead of a subwoofer, it should be called a bun tickler!

------------------
vangirl

'01 SS EX with i-VES, Kelton Subwoofer, trailer hitch, cross bars, in-dash CD changer, fog lights, cargo tray

'00 New Formula Red S2000
'00 Flamenco Black Pearl Civic EX

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by homeric:
I have an '01 non NAVI EX. The dealer mounted the 6 disc changer under the driver's seat and the Kelton subwoofer under the passenger's seat. </font>
Hi Homeric,

Out of curiosity, are you sure you don't have that backwards. When I installed my Kelton, the directions specifically stated that if you had the remote CD changer under the drivers seat, you'd have to move it to the passenger side as the subwoofer had to be mounted under the drivers side. The wiring loom that came with my Kelton wouldn't have allowed it's installation anywhere else.

Just wondering.....

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
72 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:
Hi Homeric,

Out of curiosity, are you sure you don't have that backwards. When I installed my Kelton, the directions specifically stated that if you had the remote CD changer under the drivers seat, you'd have to move it to the passenger side as the subwoofer had to be mounted under the drivers side. The wiring loom that came with my Kelton wouldn't have allowed it's installation anywhere else.

Just wondering.....

</font>

Believe me, I would much rather have the butt shake on my (driver's) side!!!! The units are positioned as originally stated. They did mention how little room was available for all of the wiring looms behind the dashboard (head unit , cassette player, cd changer and sub). I was considering adding the ashtray for the inner light and a more easily reachable extra socket but decided against when I heard that AND saw the price

[This message has been edited by homeric (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> it should be called a bun tickler!

[/B]</font>
I is always good to get a woman's perspective on these things. Now I'm convinced I need one.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
139 Posts
Homeric, Hondapartsforu.com sells the ashtray for $35.49 with free shipping, way cheaper than the others! No idea why. Several have installed it just for the convenience of the extra socket, light and storage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlh2:
Homeric, Hondapartsforu.com sells the ashtray for $35.49 with free shipping, way cheaper than the others! No idea why. Several have installed it just for the convenience of the extra socket, light and storage.</font>
The correct url is http://www.Hondaparts4u.com/home.html

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Hondaparts4u is showing the list price of the ashtray as $49. Everywhere else shows the list price at A HUNDRED forty nine dollars.

I'd question hondaparts4u as to exactly what they're shipping for $35.

Also, I checked out the instructions for installing the ashtray. I bet a dealer charges 1.5 hours or more to install that.

At dealer list and $50/hour labor, that's a $225 ashtray. Man, smoking is expensive.

I'd be happy with just a constant live power connector and a simple junk tray, instead of either the cupholders or the ashtray.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts