Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this unit sound like you have added a "sub" to your vehicle. I am thinking about purchasing one soon so I have it before my 2002 gets here in October. I am not worried about the money, I just want to spend my money the right way. Either a Kelton or some upgraded speakers. Any advice from people who have experimented with this dilemma please help me out. Thanks in advance.

------------------
2002 Starlight Silver EXL-RES on order. October delivery.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My opinion is that the Kelton Sub IS worth installing. There is much GREAT info deeper in this thread. As there is all over this gem of a site!
:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I added the Kelton subwoofer to my LX. I'm happy with the unit for the most part. It is an improvement in the sound system but it's not perfect. For starters, it's almost too much sometimes. Depending on the music being played, the base can be overwhelming. I've got the volume on the sub itself turned all the way down. In addition I've been able to adjust the base levels from the radio and biased the sound toward the rear speakers to further tone down the subwoofer. Biasing toward the rear helps because the Kelton subwoofer gets it's input from the front speaker channels only. I've also found that in some cases, the sub sounds overwhelmed. That is, the sound get's "muddy", not very clear. If you're looking for hard hitting "boom, boom, boom" type base, you'll probably be disappointed. As a base booster that fills in the lower frequencies that the door speakers can't produce well, it works pretty good.

I can't say for how the Kelton stacks up against other systems as I've got no experience for comparison. What I can say for it is that it is an improvement for general listening and it's relatively easy to install and plugs directly into the Ody's electical systems without the need for wire splicing and such.

FWIW

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My experience with the Kelton unit is opposite Intrepid's. I'm not hearing excessive bass or boominess or any muddiness. I have the level turned down quite a bit, and have the bass on the head unit turned down some, and it works great. I get crisp bass.

Of course, YMMV. He and I are probably listening to different music. The Kelton unit rocks on Cirque du Soleil's Saltimbanco, and adds exactly what's needed at the lower end to my son's Thomas the Tank Engine tape.

I also changed out the speakers; I'm using the Pioneer 1655s up front. I'm extremely happy with this combination.

I also put the Pioneer 1665s in back. I think they need baffles, just like the old 4 inch Pioneers needed for previous years. There' s no bass from those puppies.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help. No I am not looking for the "boom, boom" sound. I just wanted something to fill in the missing bass that everyone talks about. I am basically looking for a home style surround sound. I do like the fact that the Kelton wires directly without splicing. I think that I will order the unit and hope that I am satisfied. Thanks again for your info.

------------------

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
My 2 cents:
Wait until you get your Ody, and listen to the system to see what you think is lacking. This topic has been discussed ALOT in this forum, both in Kelton Sub threads and in the Pioneer 1695 thread.

I have not listened to the Kelton sub, so can't comment on that, but I can say (as others in this forum would) that replacing the factory speakers, particularly the fronts, will improve the overall sound quite substantially. The Pioneer 1695 at <$80 online is a hard to beat upgrade for the $$. Not only do you get better bass response, but imaging and HF response is alot better than factory. I've installed the 1695 in an Ody and think for most people, they would be sufficient.

So, I'd say, wait, get the Ody, and listen; esp, when driving on a highway. If you think the sound is good and just needs low end oomf, go with the Kelton. If you think something else is lacking, you need to shop for some speakers.

Besides, H and A is really fast with orders, so getting a Kelton shipped to you quickly is not a problem. Typically they ship same day if you order in the morning.

One last comment regarding the divergence of opinion between Steve and Adam's experience. I'm not sure if Steve switched out any of his main speakers, but seeing that Adam has, this is a possible explanation for the difference of opinion. High frequency response dramatically affects perception of the "cleanliness" of bass. A great example of this is that many types of drums have a higher frequency "leading edge" to them. Those with home theaters at home can try this out by listening to their subs alone, without the mains on.

When auditioning subwoofers at a hi-fi store, it is a definite no-no to switch main speakers, makes judging just the sub very difficult.

Again, very long winded, but hope this helps someone...
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Shinjohn. I really appreciate all the advice from everyone's replies. I will just wait until the van comes in and then I will decide. I'll post my decision when it is determined. Thanks again.

------------------

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 02ODDYSEA:
Thanks Shinjohn. I really appreciate all the advice from everyone's replies. I will just wait until the van comes in and then I will decide. I'll post my decision when it is determined. Thanks again.
</font>
No problem. Glad I could help! Boy, I wish I was getting an '02 myself! (OK, I still love my '01, barely 2 months old) Anyhow, keep us all posted on what you end up with!

BTW Adam, love that Cirque de Soliel music myself! I've got CDs from most of their shows. My favorite is probably the Quidam soundtrack, though Saltimbanco is great too! Love cranking up these tunes in my Accord. The same should be true after I get the system up to snuff in the Ody!

Have a great weekend all!
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">BTW Adam, love that Cirque de Soliel music myself! I've got CDs from most of their shows. My favorite is probably the Quidam soundtrack, though Saltimbanco is great too! Love cranking up these tunes in my Accord. The same should be true after I get the system up to snuff in the Ody!</font>
Yeah, it's great stuff. I don't think there's anything they've done that's truly bad.

Mystere will always remain my favorite, though. Fortunately I have two versions of their soundtrack to keep my company.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
My 2 cents:
One last comment regarding the divergence of opinion between Steve and Adam's experience. I'm not sure if Steve switched out any of his main speakers, but seeing that Adam has, this is a possible explanation for the difference of opinion. High frequency response dramatically affects perception of the "cleanliness" of bass. A great example of this is that many types of drums have a higher frequency "leading edge" to them. Those with home theaters at home can try this out by listening to their subs alone, without the mains on.

-SJ

</font>

The answer to that one is "yes I have!" I replaced the factory speakers with Pioneer 1665's. They were a big improvement and I used them for a month or so before adding the Kelton. While they did improve the base response over the factory speakers, I felt the system was still lacking.

It's only on certain songs that I seem to feel overwhelmed with the base response. Most of the time it's a definite improvement and when I begin to think it's not, I simply turn the Kelton sub off and then I'm reminded why I installed it in the first place!

02Oddysea, from what you've said, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Kelton.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Where does this get mounted in a NAV? I understand the NAV DVD unit is taking up the space where it would normally go. Can it be mounted underneath the 2nd row seats?

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

·
Registered
564 Posts
Good question... I'd love to hear where people are putting these as well. The official manual simply states that if you have the NAV or a changer under the passenger seat that you simply can't use the sub. NOT a very good job of "thinking outside the box."

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Man314:
Where does this get mounted in a NAV? I understand the NAV DVD unit is taking up the space where it would normally go. Can it be mounted underneath the 2nd row seats?
</font>
My understanding is that the Navi's DVD unit is mounted under the right front seat. The Kelton is mounted under the left front seat and it's wiring loom is designed such that it can't be easily mounted anywhere else.

You'll have to pull the drivers seat in order to mount the bracket that supports the Kelton as the bolts are inserted from underneith. The wiring loom also is routed next to the factory loom that powers the seat and such so the seat itself will have to be moved to route the Keltons wiring loom through. Power for the system comes from a vacant accessory spot on the left side fuse block and the rest is routed over to the radio where it plugs inbetween the radio and the speaker wiring loom. The hardest part in that area is drilling the hole for the Keltons on/off switch which will be located just to the lower left of the radio. The process sounds worse than it actually is. It took me about an hour to do the entire job.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 09-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You'll have to pull the drivers seat in order to mount the bracket that supports the Kelton as the bolts are inserted from underneith. The wiring loom also is routed next to the factory loom that powers the seat and such so the seat itself will have to be moved to route the Keltons wiring loom through. Power for the system comes from a vacant accessory spot on the left side fuse block and the rest is routed over to the radio where it plugs inbetween the radio and the speaker wiring loom. The hardest part in that area is drilling the hole for the Keltons on/off switch which will be located just to the lower left of the radio. The process sounds worse than it actually is. It took me about an hour to do the entire job.</font>
Did you have any problems with too much wiring loom in the back of the radio, causing interference with proper operation of the cup holder tray?

My mechanic ended up zip-tying some of the radio harness up through the small holes at the bottom of the climate control mount.

He was not happy with the amount of harness supplied with the Kelton. Too much, he said. There wasn't anywhere handy to put it all.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Is it possible to buy just the wiring harness for the Kelton sub? I'm planning on using a different sub but use the kelton wiring harness to hook it up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yes, you can buy the "attachment kit" separately. At least, it's a separate item; list price is $100. The Kelton unit itself is a separate item for $200.

What sub are you buying? Are you sure you can use the Kelton wiring harness for it?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
The attachment kit also includes the metal bracket to mount the unit to the driver's seat. H-parts has it for 72.57. Maybe cheaper elsewhere, not sure.
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
483 Posts
adam1991/shinjohn:
I'm thinking about the Clarion stealth sub (PSW160) which puts out 100 watts compared to the Kelton of 80 watts. Unfortunately, Clarion does not have a wiring harness. The installer told me that he will have to cut wires to connect it since it needs power & signal from the factory radio.

I'm trying to save space and there is no sub box made for the Ody yet that would fit under the driver seat whether it be down firing or forward firing.

Does H-parts ship it to Canada?

Unless you guys have other suggestions for me. I'm really having a hard time finding a sub that would fit under the seat.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Did you have any problems with too much wiring loom in the back of the radio, causing interference with proper operation of the cup holder tray? </font>
Not at all. It worked out pretty even actually. I've got the stock AM/FM/Cassette with the in-dash CD player and the wiring loom wound up beside these units. In my case, it was well above the in dash cup holder tray and has caused no problems to date.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX

1 - 20 of 36 Posts