Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received and installed the Sub last night. I do not claim to be any kind of audio expert, but I'll offer my opinion. I already have Polk 5-1/4" speakers in the front, and Blaupunkt 4" speakers in the rear. The reason for this choice is simple. It's what the Crutchfield rep had recommended at that time. Before the sub, I used to keep the treble in the middle, and the bass at Max, to get whatever bass the system could muster. This seemed, however, to take away some from the mids and highs.

Before installing the sub, of course, I "had" to open it up and see what it's "made of". Inside is a 5" speaker in an accoustical enclosure, something like you might expect from Bose, and a circuit board. There are two plastic screws on one end for adjustments. One is for volume, and the other for the high-cut. I installed it without any trouble. Because I have fog lights, I had to unplug them from the fuse panel, plug in the sub harness, and plug the fog light plug into a socket on the sub harness. This is outlined in the instructions. A 20 mm hole saw is not easy to come by in these parts, so I used a 3/4" hole saw, which is somewhat smaller than 20 mm, to cut the hole for the switch. I expected to have to do a lot of filing, but after just filing off the burr from the hole saw, the switch fit right in, nice and snug. I think a 20 mm hole saw would have made for a very loose fit. I put the panel on a cardboard box when I drilled, to provide a surface which would not scratch the front of the panel, and that would allow the hole saw to pass right through. It worked quite well.

I was surprised that the sub sticks out somewhat from the front of the seat. It actually overlaps the back edge of the front floor mat about an inch, which makes the mat even more of a pain to remove. Since I like the seat all the way back, it is very easy for me to accidentally kick the sub.

And now what you're waiting for...the sound.

I put the bass back to the middle, and turned it on. The two adjustment screws have no kind of calibration marked on them, and I just played with them until I had what I considered the best sound. I could have cranked up the volume on the sub, like most of the cars I hear when I go to Queens, but a more natural sound was what I was trying to achieve. Both adjustment screws ended up somewhere near the middle, which I assume is where they should be. It was nice to have some bass, and as expected, the mids and highs sound much better with the bass control back in the middle. But, in MHO, the bass sounded somewhat muddier than I had hoped. I think this is due to the somewhat small single speaker.

Well, I don't think any of us expected that this sub would turn the Ody stereo into any kind of audiophile system anyway. For me, it was worth it, because I don't want to put in an aftermarket system, and I was never expecting it to be perfect. It is a definite improvement over before, and having the switch on the dash panel is fun, because you can switch it off and hear an incredible difference.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rushed the original report out because I knew so many of you were waiting to hear.

Here is an update:

First of all, when I measured the speaker at 5", I only measured the part that "moves" after looking at a Crutchfield catalog last night, and then checking by measuring one of my door speakers, I realized that speakers are measured at the outside edge. Therefore, the subwoofer speaker would have really measured 6 or 6-1/2".

I played with the adjustments a little more this morning, and though I had posted earlier that I tried not to put the subwoofer volume to high, I put it even lower this morning, close to the minimum. I found that the sound was then much better than in my first report. In addition, I showed it to my brother-in-law, the alarm and stereo installer, this afternoon, and after playing some more, he basically put the adjustments back about where I had them, but then he raised the treble on the head unit slightly, and it really came together. He was actually quite impressed with the unit for the size and the price.

While playing, I noticed that the sub is connected only to the front speaker outputs. If you put the fader to the rear, nothing comes out of the sub.

·
Registered
254 Posts
any chance of pictures for the switch and finished installation?

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter,honda single disc cd player,honda roof rack with cross rails,honda bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I don't have a digicam or scanner available, but it was installed following, exactly, the instructions posted on www.handa-accessories.com.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts