Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi,

I have the KB sub, and it does add a very rich tone to the audio system. The sub improves the sound and I can actually hear some bass in classical music. Rock/jazz sounds better too.

I'm not much of an audiophile, but it seems that the response of the sub is muddied. Someone else thought that it was still a head unit underpowered thing. I ended up turning the volume of the sub to very low, the high cut somewhere in the middle, and the bass on the head unit to very low. Otherwise, it sounds terrible (too much bass) even at moderate volumes. If I had my $300 back, I would upgrade the speakers first and see if that was sufficient.

You are correct in that it takes up little room. It does stick out from under the drivers seat just a bit, but I haven't found it to be a problem at all.

One bonus: on long trips, turn up the bass and get a nice bun-bun massage!

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I've already replaced the front speakers with some Infinity's but they really only helped the high frequency response, the bass is still wimpy. I realize that's partly the fault of the head unit, and intend to eventually add on a power amp to help things along, but the idea of a hidden sub is really appealing. I had sort of learned to live with the mediocre sound until we bought the wife a new Accord. Its stock stereo, while no great shakes, makes the Ody's sound even worse by comparison. I guess I'll have to give the Kelton a try.

[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree fully with gbaxley. I put the Infinity 652i's in the doors this weekend. First I replaced the passenger side, then did an A/B or left/right test, but I was not very impressed, actually sort of disappointed, as I could not hear much improvement. But I did the driver's side too and then fired up my favorite test CD, Styx - The Grand Illusion, which runs the gamut from searing lead guitar, frenetic bass and drums to piano, acoustic guitar, synthesizer and soaring vocals.

After readjusting the bass, treble and KB subwoofer, I now have much better/clearer sound. My bass and treble are at or very near the center position. The sub is at a very low volume and I have it cutting off near it's highest point. (Am I correct in assuming that the cut-off affects only the sub and NOT what is being sent to the main speakers?).

My impressions: The Infinity's help quite a lot, but they do not give you awesome sound. While the factory speakers did not, the Infinity's do meet my needs at a very reasonable price (I paid $131 total for the 652i's and the 452i's from Zeb Audio over the web). They make only a small improvement in bass, but much better/clearer highs and clearer, and although not as much as I had hoped for, better mid-range.

The subwoofer is still necessary if you want any kind of real bass sound/richness from the system. It helps out a lot, just shut it off and see how much it is missed. I like (older) hard rock, and for The Who, Led Zep, etc. a sub is still a necessity and the KB does the job. For bass-heavy stuff like rap or newer heavier stuff like Limp Bizkit I will have to defer to the opinions of others on how well the KB performs.

Once again thanks go to Chuck for his help.
I will be putting the 452i's in this coming weekend, but they were/are not as necessary for me...

And in deference to Nemogira, and the fact that he can't listen to any tunes right now, I will give some Black Sabbath a ride later this week. I'm currently still enjoying the Styx CD since I'm so happy to be able to hear it so well! Later.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just saw an ad for the new 2002 Acura RSX that showed a subwoofer mounted inside the rim of the spare tire. Wonder if that could be installed in the Ody..Guess I need to visit an Acura dealer for a look see.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
184 Posts
I remember Pioneer offered a sub like that a few years back. It seemed like a great idea, though I never heard(felt?) one in action. I understand that it has since been discontinued; I don't know if it suffered from poor performance or lack of interest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're thinking about the Pioneer "Body Sonic" I believe it's called. Those weren't actually subs, they were gadgets that bolted to the seats and actually vibrated them for more bass "feelin'", a fun concept now used in some home theater applications.

I ordered a Kelton last week and was very happy to hear it had showed up at work, only to find it was just the mounting kit and the sub itself won't show until next week. I'll post some commentary when the install is done and I've listened to a bit.

------------------
Blue 99 Ody EX
Power Doors Still Workin' !!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
No, actually it was a subwoofer that mounted in the spare tire. I can't recall the name, but I definitely saw a photo (in a Crutchfield catalog) of the device mounted in a wheel.

I'll be interested to hear how you like your Kelton, as I have been considering same.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the KB sub installed about two weeks ago and this is after I had replaced the front speakers with SOny Xplods.

It was definitely worth the investment, as long as you're not after the "boom-boom" effect. It's more of an enhancement to the existing system.

I followed the suggestions from here and played around with the adjustments and it sounds great.

All the steering wheel controls are still functional and the system only adds the on/off button on the dash by the radio.

·
Registered
75 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What ever happened to the Accord Sub?</font>
we just got our list of accessories for the 2002 Accord Sedan and it doesn't even list a sub on it

Awhile back I talked to the guy at Honda and he said that the subs were supposed to be a 'one size fits all' setup where they would just need different install kits for the different models. However when they went to put them in they found that wasn't the case. As has been pointed out here the Odyssey one sticks out just slightly from under the front seat. The Accord one it turns out was going to stick out of the back seat and would reduce the legroom in the back (aside from looking kinda bad I'd think) so they were working on a redesign of it and at that time they were thinking it would be a couple of months on it. It seems now that the redesign didn't work
so I'm not sure when or if it will be available for the Accord.

-Trevor

·
Registered
354 Posts
Trevor,

I was kinda' thinkin' that in early 2000, one group of engineers decided it could fit under the passenger seat, while at the same time, another group decided to install power passenger seats in the EX's.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TAllen:
on a side note we've got a package deal special running on the subwoofers along with the in-dash 6-disk changer for $513.80 right now.

-Trevor
http://www.HandA-Accessories.com
</font>
Hi Trevor,

How about the remote 6 disk changer? I like the idea of the in dash changer but I really like the cubby hole under the radio that I'd have to give up with the in dash unit and so would rather have the one that mounts under the seat. Your web site quotes $574.40 for the remote CD changer ($359.60) and the subwoofer ($214.80). Would you folks be willing to entertain a package deal for these units?

Just wondering....

Take care and thanks for your support of this forum!
Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
You will not be able to use the sub and a remote changer if you have a NAV system. Also, you will have to give up the storage tray, if you have one (EX).

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mikester:
You will not be able to use the sub and a remote changer if you have a NAV system. Also, you will have to give up the storage tray, if you have one (EX).</font>
Understood Mikester. I've got the LX so I don't have a problem on either count. Thanks for the input though

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, here's the story of the sub for those that are interested. I ordered the sub and mounting bracket from H and A and it arrived promptly. I had a bit of a problem routing the wiring harness over the steering column per the instructions but otherwise all went pretty smoothly. I decided to plug everything together and give it a quick test drive before bolting everything back down, which turned out to be a wise decision. The sub buzzed outrageously, not an electronic buzz but a mechanical vibration. As I make my living as a home audio tech I popped the sub open to see if they had not tightened something down properly, since I didn't want to have to put the van back together and do it over, but the sub was definitely defective. Bummer! Dashed hopes!!

Soo, I called Trevor and gave him the dope and he sent out a new one immediately and also supplied a call tag to send the bogus one back. He was great and I'd deal with them again in a second.

I mounted the new one this afternoon and all is now well. As some others have noted, even with the level control all the way down it tends to be a little loud, and I had to turn down the bass control on the head unit a touch to compensate. That's not a solution I like since that makes the blend between the sub and door speakers (a pair of Infinity's whose model number escapes me at the moment, I replaced the original speakers almost immediately) a bit dicey, and also makes the sub work harder since some bass output from the door speakers is lost. I might pull the sub out some day and do a little modifying to see if I can increase the range of its control, but it's livable for the time being.

The sound is better than I expected from a cigar box size sub, about on par with the bass I had in my Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback with a pair of 6" subs driven by a 50 watt sub amp. Considering the size of the box I find that fairly amazing. I'd guess at low end cutoff of around 40Hz or so, and it gets a touch "cardboardy" sounding if you really push it with music that has strong and deep bass.

Overall I'd recommend it as long as you're not trying to get serious low end thunder, but just want to make the Ody stock stereo livable without giving up any cargo space or having to hassle with a tube sub or other removable unit. If the replacement unit hadn't worked out I was going to bail on the sub but keep the mounting kit and use that and the wiring harness as a mounting/wiring setup for an amp under the seat and a tube type sub between the seats under the flip tray. That would probably be a better solution for the rap music fans out there. I also don't think the Kelton could keep up if you put a large power amp on the front speakers, it just wouldn't have the power to match the rest of the system's volume.

Next up I want to pop open the grills on the dash speakers and see if those can be replaced with something discrete but with a touch more high frequency definition, perhaps some decent dome tweeters or whatever.

------------------
Blue 99 Ody EX
Power Doors Still Workin' !!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've also had to fiddle around with the settings to tone down the subwoofer. Depending on the music being played, it can be very overpowering. Turning the volume down on the sub itself helps as well as toning down the bass adjustment on the radio head.

One thing I discovered that helps in some cases. The Kelton subwoofer apparently takes it's audio input from the front speakers only. I can adjust the system to full front and run the balance control full left to full right and there's no change in the sub's output. If I balance all the way to the rear speakers, the sub cuts out. I've found that I can run the radio's bass adjustment up a little and balance the output toward the rear speakers. When it's right, the bass isn't overpowering and in come cases, really improves the midrange (voice) area. Depending on what's playing, I find my self fiddling with the audio controls more than I'd care to sometimes but overall, it's livable.

FWIW,
Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
211 Posts
How hard is the subwoofer to install? The online manual says it is *not* for do-it-yourselfers, only trained professionals. Is it really complicated?

Chris

1 - 20 of 33 Posts