Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contrary to what's listed in H-and-A's web site regarding the Kelton subwoofer specs, the frequency range is 40-200Hz max according to the Kelton manual.

The upper level is adjustable, from 100Hz to 200Hz. Factory default setting is right in the middle at 150Hz.

So it really is a sub-woofer, complete with its own 80 watt amp.

There's also a volume control so you can help fine-tune things.

In addition, it works only when the ignition switch is ON. It doesn't work with the ignition switch in ACC. I presume that's because of the power draw issues.

That all being said: the first and best thing you can do, WITHOUT QUESTION, is to replace the factory fronts with Pioneer TS-A1655 speakers.

If you do that, you probably won't need the Kelton unit--either that or you'l re-evaluate your personal situation in that regard. With the Kelton unit off and the Pioneers installed, bass is pretty darned good for the average mom-mobile. The Kelton unit does offer sub-bass; it fills in at the bottom. When you can hear it on and off (it comes with an on/off switch), you can plainly hear the difference. And it's a difference that I personally am happy to pay the $300 or so for.

But if you just put good speakers up front and listen to those, most people would be plenty happy with that.

In fact, I have the volume on the Kelton unit turned down pretty low, and the factory radio (RES unit) set for the bass level at -3. This gives room to fine tune it up to 0 for more bass or down to -6 for less bass, right from the head unit.

The Pioneers are $50. The Kelton unit is a few hundred once it's installed. The Pioneers really re-do the whole Kelton equation.

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Contrary to what's listed in H-and-A's web site regarding the Kelton subwoofer specs, the frequency range is 40-200Hz max according to the Kelton manual.

The upper level is adjustable, from 100Hz to 200Hz. Factory default setting is right in the middle at 150Hz.

So it really is a sub-woofer, complete with its own 80 watt amp.

There's also a volume control so you can help fine-tune things.

In addition, it works only when the ignition switch is ON. It doesn't work with the ignition switch in ACC. I presume that's because of the power draw issues.

That all being said: the first and best thing you can do, WITHOUT QUESTION, is to replace the factory fronts with Pioneer TS-A1655 speakers.

If you do that, you probably won't need the Kelton unit--either that or you'l re-evaluate your personal situation in that regard. With the Kelton unit off and the Pioneers installed, bass is pretty darned good for the average mom-mobile. The Kelton unit does offer sub-bass; it fills in at the bottom. When you can hear it on and off (it comes with an on/off switch), you can plainly hear the difference. And it's a difference that I personally am happy to pay the $300 or so for.

But if you just put good speakers up front and listen to those, most people would be plenty happy with that.

In fact, I have the volume on the Kelton unit turned down pretty low, and the factory radio (RES unit) set for the bass level at -3. This gives room to fine tune it up to 0 for more bass or down to -6 for less bass, right from the head unit.

The Pioneers are $50. The Kelton unit is a few hundred once it's installed. The Pioneers really re-do the whole Kelton equation.
</font>
Adam,

This info is very helpful. I have been on the fence for awhile regarding this subwoofer-my ideal is to totally gut the stock sound system and put in something of much higher quality, but since this is really my wife's car, I just want a system that doesn't hurt my ears. :) I currently have the Infinity 652/452/105 trio installed-the mid and high frequency response is great, but the low end leaves something to be desired. I will probably get this sub now based on your input, but realizing that I will also end up using it more as a Bose-style bass speaker so I can beef up the 80-200 Hz frequencies. This will make the sub much more directional than I would like, but it is a better alternative than the weak low end response I have now. Anyway, thanks for sharing the specifics on the sub.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have been on the fence for awhile regarding this subwoofer-my ideal is to totally gut the stock sound system and put in something of much higher quality, but since this is really my wife's car, I just want a system that doesn't hurt my ears. :)</font>
Yup. Exactly. This is my wife's car as well, and I didn't want to get into anything that involved (a) a separate shop doing installation, and/or (b) cutting.

I drove around yesterday with this setup, listening to Cirque du Soleil's Saltimbanco, and it really is astonishing. I could live with this myself, actually. I can certainly live with it in the wife's car, no problem.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I currently have the Infinity 652/452/105 trio installed-the mid and high frequency response is great, but the low end leaves something to be desired. I will probably get this sub now based on your input, but realizing that I will also end up using it more as a Bose-style bass speaker so I can beef up the 80-200 Hz frequencies.</font>
I left mine at the stock 40-150 setting, and it's doing a great job. But mostly, yeah--it's just getting the lower stuff to come out at all.

My advice would be for people to find someone with the Kelton unit and listen to your favorite source material with the Kelton both on and off (it includes a handy switch for just that, right on the dash). You'll see exactly what I mean. When you do this type of A/B test it's painfully obvious that what was probably acceptable as factory sound before the Kelton is really weak and tinny sounding. (OK, maybe not THAT bad, but still.)

And I really don't think it's directional, not at the 150 limit.

If anyone in central Ohio wants to take a listen, I'd be happy to oblige.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts