Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Kendwood KFC-XR60P speakers in the fron of my Ody ! I installed it with the stock radio and installed the Boston FX4 in the rear with a powered sub from my last van.

What a sound ! The kendwood 6 1/2 are a 2 way speaker with a seperate mounted tweeter. It can be installed with the 6 1/2 behind the stock covers AND you can keep you stock tweeters hooked up too ! The Kenwood comes with it own seperate crossover unit which you can install behind in the door panel.

Magnolia Hi Fi had the Kenwood speakers for $200 (MSRP $399) and the Boston's for $59 !

FYI

Jim

I have pictures of them both if you want them !

------------------
Jim (2001 Ody') Kenwood KFC-XR60P front speakers, Boston FX4 4", pioneer powered sub ! (orig radio with CD)

Go Oregon State Beavers Football !!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I, too, put the Boston FX4 in back, but opted for the FX6 up front. Huge difference in my 2001EX, though the back seat passengers get the most benefit from the FX4s. I've retained the stock head unit. Though I've seen no published rating for it, it must be pretty weak; these are pretty efficient speakers at 92dB, and the amp runs out of headroom before my ears do. I'll probably add a 4ch amp down the road, but a subwoofer (which do you have, JBeaver?) will probably come first.

BTW, what did you use for a spacer to clear sheet metal and keep the FX4s from goofing up the seat belt retractors? I made spacers from some 1/4" sheets of rubber I had.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FrankBullitt:
I, too, put the Boston FX4 in back, but opted for the FX6 up front. Huge difference in my 2001EX, though the back seat passengers get the most benefit from the FX4s. I've retained the stock head unit. Though I've seen no published rating for it, it must be pretty weak; these are pretty efficient speakers at 92dB, and the amp runs out of headroom before my ears do. I'll probably add a 4ch amp down the road, but a subwoofer (which do you have, JBeaver?) will probably come first.

BTW, what did you use for a spacer to clear sheet metal and keep the FX4s from goofing up the seat belt retractors? I made spacers from some 1/4" sheets of rubber I had.
</font>

We used rubber sheets also, but I think it was 3/8 " or 1/2".....I had a friend who install stereo's for a living install mine for me.....it only took him an 1 1/2 hours to install.....FYI...hook up powered sub to battery directly ! (It only turns on when the radio comes on.

I think the EX radio is a Panasonic with 20 watts per channel. I too will upgrade to a amp soon, but the wife wants the stock stereo !

My powered sub woofer is a Pioneer TSWX75A, 8 inch sub tube with 150 watts ! I had it in my 96 Quest for 5 years, gives ample bass.

Jim

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm guessing the Pioneer sub is similar to a Bazooka, and also guessing it's designed for corner-loading; where did you mount yours?

I've considered the Kelton sub (since I want a clean, inconspicuous install and don't need heart-stopping bass) but other posters mention it protrudes from under the seat.

I'm keeping the stock head unit as well because my wife (as well as myself) don't want to lose the factory controls on the wheel. A stock unit is definitely less attractive to thieves.

For those of you considering a speaker upgrade, I was very impressed at how smooth the Bostons sound at any volume; their nice balance allowed me to set the bass/treble controls at center for the most pleasing sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frank, you are right, the sub is similar to the Bazooka subs. I have mine behind the 2nd row of seats. I had the installer give me ample hook up wire so that I could move the sub around when needed. If I need the 3rd row for seating, I can unhook it and move it in the back of the van AND it will sit in the netting for the back seat headrests, but its tight.

I to just might go for the Kelton sub, but I am just wondering how much bass it really kicks out ?

Let me know what you do ! Maybe you and I can get a deal on the Kelton if we buy together !

Jim

·
Registered
184 Posts
JBeaver-
I may wait to see the accessory subwoofer that another poster mentioned seeing in an ad for an Acura- a sub that mounts in the spare tire.
Sounds like a nice clean installation. No luck finding the ad so far, though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Another sub that will fit under a seat is the Clarion PSW 160. It's a 100 watt unit with both line and speaker level inputs and an adjustable crossover. I've see it for around $170 on the internet.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have one installed under the passenger seat, it's a very nice looking unit and easily installed. But, I'd recommend getting at least a 8" sub, 6.5" subwoofer sounds hollow (to me). Click on my sig if you want to see how it looks.
VideoNavi has a Bazooka sub installed in front of the jack storage, I think, it's the RS6A-HP. Check the picture in the Gallery.

------------------
Harry
'99 Odyssey Pictures

·
Registered
103 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JBeaver:
I to just might go for the Kelton sub, but I am just wondering how much bass it really kicks out ?
Jim
</font>
How much do you want? I keep mine at the lowest output volume, otherwise it overpowers the rest of the music. Seems like it goes from '2 to 10' instead of '0 to 10'. Or maybe it goes to 11 (Spinal Tap
). I listen mostly to rock / hard rock and it is way more than enough.

Its protrusion is more or less by sight only. I keep the seat all the way back, and I think I've kicked it w/ my heel once when I got in for the 1st time, and haven't even noticed it's there since. Hope this helps you both.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts