Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The green key symbol flashes and won’t let key come out of ignition. And the gear shifter locks up and won’t move from park. These problems are happening off and on. Eventually I can get the car going again but it keeps happening

·
Registered
13,865 Posts
The wafers in the lock are toast. If you Google about this, there are detailed instructions about removing the ignition lock. Some folks just remove all the wafers because the chip in the key will keep another key from actually starting the van. You can also take the key part of the lock to a locksmith and have them replace the wafers. This is much cheaper than having the entire task done.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
As a first-aid measure, next time you have the key out, spray some lock graphite or lube into the key opening. This might free up the wafers until you can fix the lock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same issues and all the symptoms of ignition cylinder failure 7 or 8 months back...did research on this site, watched you-tube videos, priced parts, located a locksmith just in case, got tools and such together and prepared to work through the steps to solve the problem...kept putting it off for several reasons...meanwhile, realized both my keys were really worn and the cuts rounded off so dug out the valet key I never used...so far using the valet key has eliminated the issue and that's my long term temporary I'm feeling lucky fix

·
Registered
23 Posts

the above thread discusses this issue

I would not wait to take care of this
I was out of town stuck in a parking lot with this issue about a year ago ($125.00 for mobile lock smith just to get key out)

In my case once I got home I removed the assembly and took to my local lock shop. They charged me $65.00 to re key to my existing keys.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had the same issues and all the symptoms of ignition cylinder failure 7 or 8 months back...did research on this site, watched you-tube videos, priced parts, located a locksmith just in case, got tools and such together and prepared to work through the steps to solve the problem...kept putting it off for several reasons...meanwhile, realized both my keys were really worn and the cuts rounded off so dug out the valet key I never used...so far using the valet key has eliminated the issue and that's my long term temporary I'm feeling lucky fix
Had same problem. The key I used was "rounded". So using my "other" key, (which I never used), solved the problem.

Then, went to Dealer, had a new key "copied" , and coded. Done. (y) (2001 odyssey).

Never, had issues with wafers, etc........ :)

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Had same problem. The key I used was "rounded". So using my "other" key, (which I never used), solved the problem.
Good solution.

It worked because you kept one key unused, so it could be used to make a good copy. Obviously, copying a worn key would yield just another useless key.

I always keep one original key for every lock, solely for making copies.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As a first-aid measure, next time you have the key out, spray some lock graphite or lube into the key opening. This might free up the wafers until you can fix the lock.
NEVER..EVER...Put graphite into a lock...unless you plan to replace the lock. Don't believe me, ask a licensed, professional, locksmith. Any one of them will tell you not to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts