Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2001 Canadian version Odyssey that has a keyhole shaped slot on the top of my steering wheel (between horn/airbag cover and dash). What is it for??

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
It is used to manually unlock the steering wheel. if it won't turn.
You remove that cover and insert your key (or similar shaped item) and it will manually unlock the steering wheel so you can turn the front wheesl.
Why? In case the solenoid that unlocks the steering wheel when you turn the key to ON and press on the brake pedal doesn't unlock it, or, perhaps the battery is dead and you need to move the CRV and you need to turn the steering wheel, etc.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is used to manually unlock the steering wheel. if it won't turn.
You remove that cover and insert your key (or similar shaped item) and it will manually unlock the steering wheel so you can turn the front wheesl.
Why? In case the solenoid that unlocks the steering wheel when you turn the key to ON and press on the brake pedal doesn't unlock it, or, perhaps the battery is dead and you need to move the CRV and you need to turn the steering wheel, etc.
Buffalo4
Ahh! I had thought, perhaps maybe? But it seemed rather odd as opposed to the old wiggle the wheel trick to unlock, on every other vehicle I have ever owned. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Ahh! I had thought, perhaps maybe? But it seemed rather odd as opposed to the old wiggle the wheel trick to unlock, on every other vehicle I have ever owned. Thanks!
I was mistaken on what that slot was for,overall. It is actually the shift lock release slot cover on the steering column so that you can shift out of Park and into any gear, Handy if the battery is dead, etc and/or if you need to move the vehicle and you can't take it out of Park (if that wiggling the wheel trick doesn't work).
Page #162 in the 2000 Owner's manual under Automatic Transmission.
Sorry.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
No, you were correct that the slot is used when the normal shift unlock mechanism is inoperative e.g. solenoid, battery, etc.

The wiggle is used when the unlock mechanism is working okay, but the steering wheel has too much tension on the unlock mechanism. (Driver shifted to P without releasing the steering wheel first.)

A third scenario is when the unlock mechanism is working okay, the steering wheel is free, and still the shift lever cannot be moved because the weight of the car is resting on the transmission parking pawl. (Driver didn't apply the parking brake on a grade before shifting to P.) The solution is a hard pull on the shift lever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was mistaken on what that slot was for,overall. It is actually the shift lock release slot cover on the steering column so that you can shift out of Park and into any gear, Handy if the battery is dead, etc and/or if you need to move the vehicle and you can't take it out of Park (if that wiggling the wheel trick doesn't work).
Page #162 in the 2000 Owner's manual under Automatic Transmission.
Sorry.
Buffalo4
No worries mate!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aha!
No, you were correct that the slot is used when the normal shift unlock mechanism is inoperative e.g. solenoid, battery, etc.

The wiggle is used when the unlock mechanism is working okay, but the steering wheel has too much tension on the unlock mechanism. (Driver shifted to P without releasing the steering wheel first.)

A third scenario is when the unlock mechanism is working okay, the steering wheel is free, and still the shift lever cannot be moved because the weight of the car is resting on the transmission parking pawl. (Driver didn't apply the parking brake on a grade before shifting to P.) The solution is a hard pull on the shift lever.
Aha! For instance, when I park on a hill and forget to set the e-brake...the shift is hard out of Park. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts