Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my EGP LX Friday, and I want to install keyless entry and maybe an alarm. Is this something that is better left to a professional? I have seen the instructions, but wanted to know if anyone else had attempted this.
What about the products I see at places like best buy. Would having one of these alarm/keyless entry void my Honda warranty?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congratulations on your Ody purchase. I recently purchased an '02 EX so I don't have any experience installing the alarm in the Ody but I did do my own alarm install in my '02 Accord LX. And I'm happy to say it went quite well. I went slow and double checked everything. Only took about 3 hours. You can check out the Accord instructions on Handa Accessories site http://www.handa-accessories.com. You can see that the steps are very similar to the Ody. It helps to have small hands and be a little limber. As long as your are a little handy with tools, you will do just fine. As for the your question about a third party alarm system voiding your warranty, I don't think it does. My sons '97 Accord has an alarm from Circuit City (Viper) however I've never had to have any warranty work done. I would check with Honda Customer Service. I wouldn't trust what the dealer says. They are usually motivated by the bucks they hope to make off you.

Good Luck,

-John

[This message has been edited by SloopJohnB (edited 11-21-2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have 1999 Ody LX and have installed Keyless entry myself. very easy to do it.
Need to install only OEM products because
other products may overload the circuit.
I bought my on internet at hparts.com
keyless circuit and security comes seperately. ask for installation guide when you purchase. About warrenty, keyless and security are accessory to honda vehicle.
it has 12/12k warrenty on accessory but when you mess it up with honda main wiring harness then that you affect your vehicle warrenty. there is nothing to cut but simply
plug and Play. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just went down to my local stereo store and had them install an inexpensive keyless entry in my 02 LX. It only took an hour and was about $100 out the door. It suits my needs perfectly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
nmpatel,

Please do not comment on something you know nothing about! Saying that nothing but OEM would overload a circuit is ridiculous! Aftermarkets give the consumer choices and have the ability to do things OEM's wish they could do. Besides it's illegal to make that statement. Believe it or not there is a law against OEM's from saying that. It irritates me when someone has the audacity to say that. OEM's don't make there own products half the time anyway. Ford uses Code Alarm, and GM use's DEI, which is Viper in case you didn't know! Now, back to the subject. I do not recommend spending the kind of money you did on your fine vehicle to save a few bucks and install it in a sophisticated vehicle like that. We go through extensive training and have the qualifications to work on these vehicles. I have over 25 years of experience doing this. I have my own company and I still go out and install and repair everyday. So get the Keyless, or alarm put in by a pro. It makes no sense to try and save a buck to screw up your car. The dealer can not make a statement that it would void the warranty that it has to be OEM. Good Luck,

DanDan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well said DanDan!

------------------
2000 Acura Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
1993 Ford Explorer

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DanDan:
nmpatel,

Please do not comment on something you know nothing about! Saying that nothing but OEM would overload a circuit is ridiculous! Aftermarkets give the consumer choices and have the ability to do things OEM's wish they could do. Besides it's illegal to make that statement. Believe it or not there is a law against OEM's from saying that. It irritates me when someone has the audacity to say that. OEM's don't make there own products half the time anyway. Ford uses Code Alarm, and GM use's DEI, which is Viper in case you didn't know! Now, back to the subject. I do not recommend spending the kind of money you did on your fine vehicle to save a few bucks and install it in a sophisticated vehicle like that. We go through extensive training and have the qualifications to work on these vehicles. I have over 25 years of experience doing this. I have my own company and I still go out and install and repair everyday. So get the Keyless, or alarm put in by a pro. It makes no sense to try and save a buck to screw up your car. The dealer can not make a statement that it would void the warranty that it has to be OEM. Good Luck,

DanDan
</font>
Is that the promotion of your own business I hear in this note? THE DEALER WILL VOID WARRANTY ON ELECTRICALS AS SOON AS YOU SPLICE THE WIRING and HONDA also will not honor the warranty because once you splice the wiring YOU CANNOT PROVE THAT THE SPLICING DID NOT DAMAGE THE OTHER PARTS. No matter how lunatic that statement may be it is a fact. AND, if you go the OEM route there is no point in paying to get the work done if you are any good at tools. All is plug and play and YOU CANNOT MESS UP even if you want to. I understand that you have 25 or more years of experience that does not mean that I cannot be as good (or even better) than you for installing OEM stuff. After market is different.

Now about the professional crap. I did not install my Alarm system because I wanted the 3 year warranty on the parts and so I let the dealer (the professional) install it and they broke a panel in my Accord which they did replace after I showed it to them. Is that professional? I don't think so.

[This message has been edited by piyush (edited 11-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by piyush (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
DanDan:
Electrical Accessory manufactured by honda
will NOT overload electrical system in Honda vehicle. But could happen this with
non honda electical parts. It is like taking a chance.
Also Keyless entry from Honda cost me $158
after installtion. Check the price of it
at honda.com. It is $278 + sales tax + installtion ~= $400. It is a ripoff to
get it installed from dealer if you can do it yourself. I like true consumer friendly advice. I have saved $250 bucks for not
taking your advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After reading everything I am going to buy the keyless entry from honda and install myself. I just put in the honda in dash cd changer and it took under 15 minutes and cost only $154 total. It would have been over $400 from the dealer. Thanks for all the advise.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry if you feel like I am promoting my business, but I am not. I give advise, I don't try to or want to sell anything over the net. I don't like people saying untrue statements and FYI it's against the law to make a statement like that. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act . Read it if you like at http://www.me-mag.com/pdf/magmoss.pdf
Anyone or anything can and will fail, that's just fact. If you feel comfortable spending $400 for a system that's ok. Save the money and install it yourself, and if your better than me so be it. I don't play the my Pecker is bigger than yours game. Be careful what you say. That's what makes America great you do have a choice. If we had to only install Honda products in all your Hondas, I think they call that a monopoly. You do have a choice and in no way will it void the warranty if it's installed properly. That's the law! And just for fun let me tell you what I pay for a very nice 4 button keyless entry with a lifetime warranty. It has a start kill domelight supervision, panic and a LED. And also a 3rd channel output for remote start if you like, and 500 foot range! Flashes Park as well as Headlights. Includes two code hopping remotes, which Hondas do not do. I could go on and on, ready? $21.00! That's right, $21.00, not a misprint. So keep buying those overpriced easy to grab the codes Hondas, and get the measly 3 year warranty. Thank You,

DanDan

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DanDan:
And just for fun let me tell you what I pay for a very nice 4 button keyless entry with a lifetime warranty. It has a start kill domelight supervision, panic and a LED. And also a 3rd channel output for remote start if you like, and 500 foot range! Flashes Park as well as Headlights. Includes two code hopping remotes, which Hondas do not do. I could go on and on, ready? $21.00! That's right, $21.00, not a misprint.

DanDan
</font>
Good that you can buy the thing in $21. I paid $240 (installed price) for the OEM keyless entry and the alarm. It would have been the same if I bought it and installed it. Now for the $21. It is your cost price. I do not think that is what you charge your customers though. So, why don't you post the installed price that you charge the customers and then we will see if I benefit from it or not. Besides I do not need those fancy things that you just mentioned. The third channel you mentioned, will not work on my Accord because of the transponder chip. Now I know that there is a fix to that and it probably might cost you $1 but they will charge me $100 for it. So, your cost prices do not mean a sqat to me. Even if you gave me the thing for $21 I will wind up paying $150 for installation and then arguing with the dealer that the fancy code hopping custom security system that I have in my car did not break the CD Player (coz dealers always want to get out of warranty work).

Thanks for posting the cost price for your system though. It is great that atleast now I know how cheap thigs are and how much the shop wanted to charge me. Believe me before buying the Honda system I DID call around and the cheapest price I got was like $399 installed!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Time-out...chill!

------------------
2000 Acura Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
1993 Ford Explorer

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silk:
Time-out...chill!