Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 RrP LX should arrive soon. I was given the following prices for installed options by the dealer: $492 for keyless entry, $432 for the single CD player, $144 for splash guards.

(1) I believe I can install the splash guards ($55.80 and HandA) myself.
(2) I can probably get a much better CD player at an electronics store - does anybody know how this might affect the warranty? (HandA currently sells the single CD player for $152.40.)
(3) Some time ago, I thought I remembered seeing advice for installing the keyless entry system in this forum (perhaps it was on Edmunds), but I can't find it now. Has anybody installed the keyless entry system ($158.40 at HandA)???

Any and all advice with these options is greatly appreciated.

Cauchy

[This message has been edited by cauchy (edited 02-21-2002).]

·
1,484 Posts
1) Yes, it's very easy to install.
2) If the aftermarket unit breaks it won't be covered under the Honda warranty but rather the aftermarket brand's warranty. My advice (if you decide to go aftermarket) get a repuitable brand: Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.
3) On the Handa site there's should be .pdf file with the instructions on how to install it and other accessories.

None of these should be too difficult as long as you follow the instructions on Handa. With the expection of how to remove the center panel for installing a CD/Tape player. There is an easier and less damaging way of removing it.

-Nestor

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cauchy:

(1) I believe I can install the splash guards ($55.80 and HandA) myself.
(2) I can probably get a much better CD player at an electronics store - does anybody know how this might affect the warranty? (HandA currently sells the single CD player for $152.40.)
(3) Some time ago, I thought I remembered seeing advice for installing the keyless entry system in this forum (perhaps it was on Edmunds), but I can't find it now. Has anybody installed the keyless entry system ($158.40 at HandA)???

Any and all advice with these options is greatly appreciated.

Cauchy

[This message has been edited by cauchy (edited 02-21-2002).]
</font>

In the past two weeks I installed all of the same options on our new SS LX. The splashguards are easy to install IF you have a right-angle screwdriver. I got one from Home Depot for $6 (made by Ridgid). If you don't have a right-angle driver, expect to take the rear wheels off.

As for the CD player, I bought a JVC KD-SH99 online for $269. It sounds fantastic and plays CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and MP3 files. With a CD filled with MP3's at 96kbps compression, you get 245 songs and over 10 hrs of play. You'll never need a CD changer! I also purchased a wiring harness and dash fit kit from Ultimate electronics for about $25. You'll absolutely need these if you do the install yourself. The process is straightforward once the console is off (I installed the CD player at the same time as the alarm, below) and the fit kit includes good instructions.

I purchased the full keyless entry alarm system, which is only $70 more than the keyless entry from HandA--and no more difficult to install. The installation process, as detailed in the instructions, took about 3 hrs. The only difficulties I had with it were that the instructions incorrectly identified the color of a 6 pin and 10 pin wiring harness (actually gray although the instructions said blue) and the process of getting the center console off was slow and difficult. Be careful when routing the wiring harness for the inner light switch (which goes through the dash over toward the glove box) so that it is not in contact with any sharp metal brackets under the dash--so as to avoid chafing and possible electrical shorts later. This is easy to do if you take your time. And set any options you want to on the main module (you'll see what I mean in the instruction book) before you mount it, because the controls are not very accessible after you do. The install is quite doable if you are at all mechanically inclined. Your back and shoulders will be sore the next day, though, from all the contortions needed to get under the dash.

I highly recommend spending the extra $70 to get the alarm. You never know when you'll need to park the vehicle with valuables in a less than desirable location.

Email me directly if you have more questions. Have fun!

Nemogira--what is the easier, less damaging way to get the console off?

STLODY

[This message has been edited by stlody (edited 02-21-2002).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
After negotiations I got 2002 SS LX with these options:
-splash guards (set of 4) $48
-wheel locks $15
-keyless entry $150
After the deal was made but options were not yet installed, I wanted to upgrade keyless entry to alarm but dealer wanted around $270 (sic)!!! As for cd player, I got Honda 6 disc in-dash cd changer from Dalt's Honda (Toronto, Canada) for around $176 including shipping to US. Realy easy to install, PNP with LX cassette unit.
To take the console panel off:
-put gear selector lever to position 1,
-with fingers between steering column and console panel gently pull to release clips. You can probably find more detailed instructions if you search the Forum.

Turbo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't thank you people enough! Great replies. I'll save a bundle doing this stuff myself and I think it's within my capability to do so thanks to your advice. Optional accessories must be a very high profit item for the dealers. It will feel great to keep some green in my own pocket! Thanks.

Cauchy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbo - or anybody else - can you provide the contact information for Dalt's Honda in Toronto? Sounds like they have a great price on the 6 disk in-dash CD player. Whoops - never mind - this stuff is easy to look up on the web, isn't it? Found it. Thanks.

Thanks,

Cauchy

[This message has been edited by cauchy (edited 02-25-2002).]

·
Registered
80 Posts
page not available

shinjohn - I really wish to view this url

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000229.html

you provided, but it seems to have expired. Is there any way to bring the page back? I am installing keyless/security when my order arrives next week. Thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Re: page not available

brownbear said:
shinjohn - I really wish to view this url

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000229.html

you provided, but it seems to have expired. Is there any way to bring the page back? I am installing keyless/security when my order arrives next week. Thanks!
I've come across this problem quite a few times myself. It'd be nice if we can resurrect these posts.

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
As for the CD player, you're better off getting a used Honda 2001/2002 Accord V6 6-CD player/cassette/am-fm combo system that fits nicely on the Ody. I believe there's one for sale in the buy/sell forum for $350. It will replace your stock LX radio nicely.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks you, BrianB

BrianB - many thanks for gathering the url links on this subject. Isn't this a great club!?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts