Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been going on for some time, I have replaced both keyless remotes with new batteries and both remotes have no range to lock and unlock doors. The remote only works if I stand right next to the driver and passenger doors, if I move more than a foot or two neither remote will work. I have reprogramed both and I'm still having this problem.

Any one know what the problem might be?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Google suggests that even if you replace the battery your remote may not have a good connection to its battery. Try taking it apart and seeing if any parts or corroded, worn, or look damaged. In particular, people seem to mention some kind of conductive paint that's used in several models.

I suggest opening it up, pulling out the components, and taking pictures of both sides for the board.

Alternatively, it sounds like you can buy and program a new one.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I remember @dvpatel or @sontakke did a mod for the remote antenna for range. It is either in the DIY Modifications or 2nd gen subforum. While you may or may not want to do that modification, at least it helps you get to the receiver using the pics in that thread and compare with what yours may be like. Search is your friend.

·
Administrator
14,960 Posts
I remember @dvpatel or @sontakke did a mod for the remote antenna for range. It is either in the DIY Modifications or 2nd gen subforum. While you may or may not want to do that modification, at least it helps you get to the receiver using the pics in that thread and compare with what yours may be like. Search is your friend.
I remember reading that thread but I do not remember who posted it. I did not do that mod. :)

·
Administrator
14,960 Posts
Is this what you're looking for?: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-19...ly-short-range-remote-key-fob.html#post708652

He modified the antenna for the receiver, not the remote. That's probably better though. Do it once and all remotes benefit.
Problem is, the 3rd gen 05 - 10 are different. They do not have the receiver separated there by the glovebox. It seems the receiver in our 3rd gens is integrated in the driver's side switch module per the last couple of posts in that thread.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Good point. I didn't realize that was in the 2nd gen forum.

Looking at the service manual of the 3rd gen, the wiring diagram shows the antenna is part of the "Door multiplex control unit" which is part of the master window switches in the driver's door.

I might tackle this. I've noticed my range isn't great (works at about 20 feet, but I'd expect more than that with direct line of sight - and would be nice when the kids are running up ahead of me). Also, the master windows switches have been loose since we bought the van (push the window buttons and the whole thing pushes into the door - it's like one side of it isn't supported at all).

I'll reply with pictures if I do it.

·
Administrator
14,960 Posts
I'll reply with pictures if I do it.
That would be good. I am living with my shorter range but would love a longer range. It just doesn't bother me enough to blaze a trail. :D

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Cool. That would be great. Yeah, I guess 3rd gen is different and 2 members noted on page 2 that it was part of driver side door switch.

·
Administrator
14,960 Posts
I ended up making a video of it. I got probably an extra 30ft in range out of the modification, but I also wasn't having much of a problem to start.

It really wasn't that difficult to do. You don't have to take apart the whole door.
Nice !!!.

Thank you. I might get this done one of these days. It looks like this is much easier than I thought it'd be.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ended up making a video of it. I got probably an extra 30ft in range out of the modification, but I also wasn't having much of a problem to start.

It really wasn't that difficult to do. You don't have to take apart the whole door.

cybersaga

Amazing thank you so much, going give this a try.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This this over the weekend and it worked great for two days, now for some reason its back to no range again. I'll have to check to see if my solder didn't hold.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I had a remote start installed. The 2-way fob claims a 1 range mile. I'm sure that's as the crow flies with no obstructions.

The farthest I had it work so far is 3/4 mile, Google driving distance, with buildings and turns in between. I can't complain about that. The best part is that it has the strength to work from deep inside buildings.

Admittedly, it was a tad more expensive than a piece of wire. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts