1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
359 Posts
thanks for the nice review. I too wish the Touring still had adjustable pedals. My wife is only 5'1" and already sits so close to the steering wheel in her Accord. We don't plan test driving and buying a van until the spring. Or maybe we can hold out until 2012 model and see if they bring that feature back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Safety features at the base level

Thanks for posting the link. I like that the reviewers also noted the safety features like blind spot monitoring should be at the base level or available to all as an option. The more people that give Honda that feedback, the more likely they are to listen.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Re: Safety features at the base level

mic111 said:
Thanks for posting the link. I like that the reviewers also noted the safety features like blind spot monitoring should be at the base level or available to all as an option. The more people that give Honda that feedback, the more likely they are to listen.
You have to read the first part of the sentence as well though:

"Of course, if you do what you’re supposed to do before changing lanes then you shouldn’t really need the BSI system ..."

That is the point I'd like to make. At the current time, new drivers are taught to shoulder check before changing lanes. The BSI system, may be used by some to avoid that directive. the next time they get into a car that doesn't have it, then what? Also, do we know whether BSI works in every circumstance? What if it malfunctions and you take a lane without looking.

I think the feature is useful. My brother (who came on a test drive with me) thought it was an annoyance (especially at night) and wanted to know if it could be turned off. It lights up every time a car passes the Honda in either lane (right/left) and flashes rapidly if you put your turn signal on at the same time (the flashing is useful, the constant lighting up isn't).

I'm wondering what is next? Maybe we can have something that puts the turn signal on for us when we lean to the left to right in the driver's seat??

Just my $0.02 worth. :)

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Safety features at the base level

Originally posted by Shazzam I'm wondering what is next? Maybe we can have something that puts the turn signal on for us when we lean to the left to right in the driver's seat??

Just my $0.02 worth. :) [/B]
It's sad that a lot of crashes could be prevented if only the driver had used a turn signal. The same goes for the rear view mirrors. We've had "idiot lights" in autos for decades. No, they aren't needed, but they can provide warning for idiots who don't maintain their cars or for those drive in an unsafe manner.

The newer crash avoidance and lane change warning systems could be said to be unnecessary if you drive safely, too, as could seatbelt lights, ABS, stability control, airbags and a zillion other features. My problem with my 2006 Odyssey is that there is still a blind spot even with mirrors adjusted correctly. I solved that with a $2 wide angle mirror that sticks on my driver's side mirror....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Re: Safety features at the base level

Shazzam said:

I think the feature is useful. My brother (who came on a test drive with me) thought it was an annoyance (especially at night) and wanted to know if it could be turned off. It lights up every time a car passes the Honda in either lane (right/left) and flashes rapidly if you put your turn signal on at the same time (the flashing is useful, the constant lighting up isn't).

Interesting. I would have thought that it just operated when you put your turn signal on, not when it wasn't. We don't have and Elite in the area to test drive yet so I haven't experienced it.

Did you do your sound check and second test drive? Eager minds want to know. Would be off topic for this thread but you could post on my review or start your own thread.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I didn't find it much of a bother. And i Recognize you caviller! ;)

·
Banned
728 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Safety features at the base level

mic111 said:
Interesting. I would have thought that it just operated when you put your turn signal on, not when it wasn't. We don't have and Elite in the area to test drive yet so I haven't experienced it.

Did you do your sound check and second test drive? Eager minds want to know. Would be off topic for this thread but you could post on my review or start your own thread.
It lights up whenever there is a car in the blind spot whether you intend to take a lane or not. It flashes when you put your turn signal on and there is a car in the blind spot. Thankfully it doesn't "gong" too. I think you can turn it off though (I would).

If it would stop snowing for a day I could get to that back to back test drive. We've had 40cm (about 18") of snow in the past 2 weeks, most of it falling in the last 7 days. I'll post my results in the right thread as soon as I get to the dealership and do the drives.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MySillyBoys said:
I didn't find it much of a bother. And i Recognize you caviller! ;)
I believe the old vBulletin software doesn't allow username changes:-( I used to be Caviller at Car-Seat.Org back in 2001-2002 also!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think you didn't point out some very important facts about the Odyssey with regards to child seats.

First and most importantly, there are two LATCH anchors and three top tether anchors in the third row of the 2011 Odyssey.

This, as a father of three, going on four kids was the reason we bought the vehicle! The 2011 Sienna has one. Literally.

The third row isn't the widest, however, and I could barely fit three Sunshine Kids Radians back there. It would be hard to make too many configurations work.

The 2011 Odyssey also has three LATCH + top tether anchors for the second row seats, so it's a car seat machine! I think the Sienna only has two if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
157 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts