Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kiplinger's March 2012 issue has their annual car rankings and Odyssey retains it's "Best in Class" and "Most Fuel Effecient" awards. In her "from the editor" article in the same issue, Janet Bodnar says she and her husband were in the market for a new car and were interested in the Odyssey. She says "even though we no longer qualify as soccer parents and our 23-year-old son is mortified, I learned that many boomers are going the minivan route for the same reasons we did--a comfortable ride on long trips, space for hauling the occasional piece of furniture, and plenty of room for seven adults when the family comes home."

My wife and I are "boomers" and will soon relocate to our small retirement home on Hilton Head Island, SC. We recently purchased our Odyssey for many of the same reasons...multiple trips to HHI from VA (9 1/2 hours), room to haul stuff down there, and dependability (don't want to be on a fixed income and spending a bunch of money on repairs). I think us old folks are the new minivan demographic!

When I was in the process of buying, I emailed my buddy (also a boomer) and told him I was angsting over spending so much money for a car. His response..."I'd be angsting over being seen in a minivan!" Nice buddy.--Dave

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may need remedial training in how to operate this site's search feature. Worried about getting in trouble for posting something a second time, I searced Kiplinger and got nothing. Sorry about that.--Dave

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dave - almost the same story here. Kids are grown and out of the house, but after having the old caravan for the last 14 years, we were considering other vehicles because we could. No more hauling kids, sports gear, etc. We could have bought anything. But came back to the same thought pattern - the space allows a lot of flexibilty for carrying building materials as we remodel our 20 year old home or a new furniture piece. Once you have the space, it is hard to go back to a normal car, particularly if you are fortunate enough to have a second car that will allow you to express yourself in a different way automotively.... In my case it is a Miata. I love the ability to have both extremes. The miata is aging as well (its a '99) so I might be in the market for another fun car (perhaps a Cayman?) but it certainly serves the purpose for now.

Good luck with your retirement. My son is a tech, and I know it is not exactly the easiest way to make a living. Enjoy your retirement!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Jeff. This Honda is the first "new" vehicle I have purchased since 1973! I've always driven trade in Audis and VWs that I got for a ham sandwich (lots of miles and need work that the original owner wasn't willing to do). So spending the kind of money it takes to buy a new Odyssey was painful...hence the angsting! We have an old A6 Quattro with 150K and a 2002 Passat with 135K so it was time to get something a little more trustworthy for the trips back and forth to HHI. One of our son in laws had a Miata and loved it...now has 3 kids and a minivan! My wife keeps telling me a Miata would be a neat top down car for Hilton Head. Problem: Gotta have room for a couple of sets of golf clubs!--Dave

·
Registered
174 Posts
No problem Dave. The miata, unlike the Z3/4 BMW can fit two carry size bags (no pro bulk bags please), and can do it without removing the driver or woods. It take a little finagling, but my son and I took the miata on many a golf outing. You can get a pretty good example for very little money as a lot of owners are crazy like me and keep them pretty pristine. The convertible allows me to decompress after my desk job during a good portion of the year here in PA (no not now.....), but would be very nice in the Carolinas. It is not as fast as many, but it has a pretty unique connection with the road given its very light weight and good handling. I can't think of a better buy for the buck, which is why I still have my '99 that I bought new.
Highly recommended as a compliment to the Ody!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts