Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the December 2001 Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine and its cover story is "The 2002 Cars - A Buyer's Guide"

There is a section dedicated to minivans and the Odyssey LX came in "Best in Class" and "Resale Value". I quote "In the minivan category, the Honda Odyssey LX wins Best in Class, with 30 extra ponies over last year's model as well as top resale value and high safety honors." Later they say "Increased supplies of the Best in Class minivan - which gets side air bags and more power this year - should make it easier to find and bargain for." IMHO articles like this will only fuel the demand.

There is a large chart showing a variety of specs and other info. A few of the more interesting figures are the 2 and 4 year resale value. They quote 66% and 50% respectively for the LX Ody and 64% and 49% for the EX Ody. The highest of all the minivans rated. The lowest is the Chrysler Voyager LX with 43% and 32%. The 5 year Service Cost on the Ody is $1783.00 for both the LX and EX. The highest 5 year Service Cost for all front wheel minivan is $4044.00 again on the Chrysler Voyager LX. Highest of the AWD minivans is the Dodge Grand Caravan Sport at $4347.00.

I'm so glad I got rid of my Plymouth Voyager and purchased an Odyssey.

-John

------------
'02 RRP Odyssey EX
'02 SSM Accord LX V6
'96 BM Accord LX

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did u see the target price for the new ody in Kiplingers. I think both Gm vans and Odyssey are expected to be bought somewhere between 90-95% of msrp.

Whats up with that?
I can easily buy a gm van at invoice to invoice - $1000.
Did anybody get an Odyssey for msrp - $1000 anywhere in the country... except the UBS people getting it after x months?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I started making calls mid-October. Bay Ridge Honda in Brooklyn had a 2002 EX in Starlight Silver for me two weeks later at MSRP + $270 for protection package-- mud guards, cargo tray, wheel locks. No other funny charges. We picked it up today! Hooray!
P.S. They even had one in the same week with some features I didn't want, so I declined.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just realized after posting that you were looking for $1000 UNDER msrp. Good luck to you-- the best I know of is $250 under MSRP at Burne Honda in Scranton PA with a waiting list of 1-2 months, which I can't verify because mine didn't come in in the four weeks since I was on the list.

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by honda4:
Did u see the target price for the new ody in Kiplingers. I think both Gm vans and Odyssey are expected to be bought somewhere between 90-95% of msrp.

Whats up with that?
I can easily buy a gm van at invoice to invoice - $1000.
Did anybody get an Odyssey for msrp - $1000 anywhere in the country... except the UBS people getting it after x months?
</font>
Don't know what they were thinking with respect to pricing. A fully loaded Venture is invoice less circa $1400 on carsdirect.com or purchasers can take advantage of 0%/36 financing. If you want to get your Ody tomorrow (I presume) they'll get one for you at MSRP plus about $2k.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We got our RRP EX for $500 under MSRP plus free delivery from 200 miles away from Roper Honda in Joplin, MO. No dealer fees, no overpriced add-ons, etc. We had to talk them into the free delivery, don't know if you would get that. Kathy Sleep was the salesperson - she was great. She delivered it herself on Halloween(!). It was the most painless, easiest car buying experience I have ever had. Having one delivered to your door is the way to go - no babysitters needed, no screaming kids running around the dealership, etc. She told me the waiting list is now February for an EX and April if you want leather!

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Curculio:
She told me the waiting list is now February for an EX and April if you want leather!</font>
Glad I got my order in! I'm expecting delivery in February (well, maybe March).

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Homer:
Don't know what they were thinking with respect to pricing. A fully loaded Venture is invoice less circa $1400 on carsdirect.com or purchasers can take advantage of 0%/36 financing. If you want to get your Ody tomorrow (I presume) they'll get one for you at MSRP plus about $2k.</font>
I guess I did not make myself clear. What I was trying to say is Kiplingers estimate of target price is too far off from reality. Yes, getting an ody for $1000 off from msrp (about 97% of from msrp) is almost impossible now).
It is very easy to get an venture/montana for about 85% of msrp.
I dont remember the exact numbers but Kiplingers seem to say the target price for both these vehicle is in the 90-95% range which is misleading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts