Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will make this clunking sound when the road is bumpy, or drive off road. Sounds like something is loose and bumps around. What could be the problem? This is a 220k mile old vehicle (2011 ody ex) I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix it. But if it's a DIY job I'd love to get it fixed myself.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
981 Posts
First suspicion would be struts if they are original.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Will make this clunking sound when the road is bumpy, or drive off road. Sounds like something is loose and bumps around. What could be the problem? This is a 220k mile old vehicle (2011 ody ex) I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix it. But if it's a DIY job I'd love to get it fixed myself.
Thanks.
The list of possibilites is very long. Your first step is to identify the location of the noise (I have heard stories of people having a passenger move around to help locate, but this would be illegal in many states so I refrain from actually recommending it). Then get under and look, push pull. Could be suspension, could be exhaust, could be the bowling ball in the rear storage rolling around if third row is up.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
Calipers rattling on their sliding pins?

Press the brake gently when you go over a bump. If the clunking stops, that's it.

Otherwise, worn sway bar end links?

At this point, it's really 52 pick up. :p As mentioned, there are many possible sources of the clunking.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
+1 on the sway bar links, mine were shot last summer, grabbed a hold of them and pulled and they popped off at the joint.
if one is flapping around it can make clunking noises.

220k on the original struts could also be an issue, control arm bushings if they separate or are torn.

get it on a jack or hoist and inspect it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
also, you weren't clear if it was front or back.
if its coming from the rear, its likely your spring seats.

that will make more of a thunk sound, easily identified over speed bumps, find a parking lot with some.

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >115k miles, VCM Tuner, Honda tow pkg.
656 Posts
I second the suggestion for sway bar links. While you are in there, change the bushings, too. Very cheap and any wear allows the bar to bounce around over bumps. I replaced my links and bushings twice already (around 70 k and 115k miles).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts