Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have used KYB GR-2 Rear Shocks on their Honda Odyssey - Do you know whether or not the KYB rear shocks come with the Bushings or will I need to order them? Two are needed per shock according to the diagram provided by Majestic.

You can see the diagram here it is listed as #4 in the illustration.

I know the bushings can go bad and I am assuming that the KYB's will come with new bushings but I am not sure.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The KYBs come with the new bushings, so no worry. If you are doing the rears I would also suggest doing the fronts at this time. You'll be amazed at the difference in ride quality.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg
Thank you. Just wanted to make sure because according to the diagram from Majestic Honda if I was to order new shocks I would also have to order 4 bushings for those shocks because they have them listed as being separate.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need some help. I did a search and could not find anything additional I need to do...if I am replacing JUST the rear shocks is there anything else I need to buy?

Also can someone post or send me the few pages from the Honda Repair Manual on how to replace the rear shocks? I am looking for pictures and write up from the Honda shop manual. I swear I saw this somewhere on this forum before and spent 15 minutes trying to find it...perhaps I need to learn how to search more effectively.

I plan on doing the rear springs later when finances permit.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nothing else to buy, just need the shocks. You don't need a manual just look up under the vehicle and you'll see the two bolts to undo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear Shock Replacement - KYB GR-2 Review

Thought my feedback might help others when it comes to replacing the rear shocks.

History - 2003 Honda Odyssey with 167,000 miles on original struts and shocks. Roughly a month or two prior I replaced my front struts with the KYB GR-2 front struts. I also replaced my strut mounts/boots/bellows with the KYB replacement. Replaced front springs with OEM Honda front springs. Lastly, I replaced the swaybar link ends as well. Wrapped it up with an alignment. I was impressed with the change in how my Ody drove.

Yesterday I replaced my rear shocks with the KYB GR-2 replacements and got them for roughly $32 a piece through Amazon.com. I chose not to replace the springs in the rear like I did up front because I was told that the failure rate for the rear springs is MUCH less than the fronts. I was advised to only replace them (reear springs) if I had towed in the past which I had not.

My rear shocks were not bad yet but with the mileage I had plus recently replacing the front struts with the KYB GR-2 version I figured it would not hurt to have the rear shocks done as well. I was surprised at how much better my Ody drove with the simple replacement of the rear shocks. It firmed up the ride and handling and was a huge improvement over the OEM rear shocks. I spent less money on replacing the rear suspension than the front and ironically noticed greater improvement overall with the replacement of the rears.

Someone in the past had stated that the OEM rear shocks are made by KYB and their assumption was that I would not feel improvement when switching over to the KYB GR-2 rear shocks. Checking with KYB I was told that the GR-2 line (fronts and rears) are tuned differently than a OEM application. They apparently tweak things some to accomodate for other suspension parts that may be worn and this gives them a slightly more sporty/firm feel to them.

Anyone who is on the fence as to what brand to switch the rear shocks over to when replacing will be pleased with the KYB GR-2 unless if you are looking for a plusher/softer ride (hope that makes sense). Best money I have spent yet on my Ody!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rpederson, thanks for the info, that was exactly what I was looking for. 170k on our '05 and had some 'waves' in the rear tires (replaced yesterday) which on our '00 was an indicator of struts needing replaced. since there aren't struts on our '05, the shocks are getting replaced. Got Sumitomo's at NTD and when they checked the alignment (hoping to sell me one), it was dead on. Just one question, was the only reason you replaced the front struts the mileage, or was had the handling degraded?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just did the rear shocks (GR2s) and the springs on my '03. I decided for the extra $38ea(?) for the Honda springs was worth it, since I had to go under there anyway. I wasn't concerned as much about failure of the springs as I was in ride comfort. Much improved, but not sure if its due to the shocks or springs or both. I do notice the van being higher due to the new springs.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
For shock install, it is straight forward. Did KYB front and rear. Replaced with GR2s which came with bushings and install-ready. I did not do the coil springs yet though. Might need to.

I did look at the "Front Strut Install Info" thread. It talks about the rear shocks as well. And CNN's brake job pics "2007 DIY Front Brakes" shows pics and tips. That was handy and quick visual.

My old ones were toast. Better ride and much improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts