Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say that we purchased the TE Model. I didn't know that they came standard with HIDs. I don't think I've ever replaced the bulbs and reading some of the stories on the forum, that's exceptional for the non-TE vehicles.

I'm finding that the light output isn't as bright as I remember, especially at night. I suppose it's possible that I had the bulbs replaced and the wrong bulbs were put in, but I doubt it.

I was going to go down to my local autoparts store today and pickup a set of bulbs when I read about the HIDs being standard and the parts aren't swappable ???

Can someone straighten me out on this?

I've heard some vehicles needing a ballast replacement and it being a sticker shocker. Not sure.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
The ballast should be fine if the capsules create light and don't flicker. OEM ballasts are (generally) very reliable.

HID bulbs lose output over time (backwards of halogen incandescent bulbs). A new set of high-quality D2S HID capsules would likely be 20-30% brighter than what you have in there now - probably ~$100 for the set (Osram or Philips).

Also, make sure they are adjusted well. The headlights auto-level when the van is loaded - but you can set the 'base' aim yourself. If they are adjusted to high, they won't get much light in the right place on the road and seem dim. There is a little adjuster with a combined allen/phillips head right a the top of the headlight assemblies to adjust aim. (block one light while you adjust the other)

-Charlie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ballast should be fine if the capsules create light and don't flicker. OEM ballasts are (generally) very reliable.

HID bulbs lose output over time (backwards of halogen incandescent bulbs). A new set of high-quality D2S HID capsules would likely be 20-30% brighter than what you have in there now - probably ~$100 for the set (Osram or Philips).

Also, make sure they are adjusted well. The headlights auto-level when the van is loaded - but you can set the 'base' aim yourself. If they are adjusted to high, they won't get much light in the right place on the road and seem dim. There is a little adjuster with a combined allen/phillips head right a the top of the headlight assemblies to adjust aim. (block one light while you adjust the other)

-Charlie
What do they put in at the dealer/ factory? Thank you for confirming that I'm not losing my mind or developing a cataract. :)

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
What do they put in at the dealer/ factory? Thank you for confirming that I'm not losing my mind or developing a cataract. :)
Not sure, but they are most likely repackaged Philips or Osram bulbs. Make sure what you are getting are either 4200k or 4300k "Kelvin" rating. Also, I'd suggest paying a bit extra to buy from a reputable source. The standard Philips 85122 bulbs are on RockAuto for $34 each - you'll be happy with those.

-Charlie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

-Charlie
Local auto place sells Sylvania D2S for $100 apiece:eek: or the Silverstar zXe for $22 more.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a set on Amazon, but now looking on Youtube at what I'd have to do to get to them, the dealer is starting to look attractive at $238 apiece for parts. If I had baby hands I could do it, but I don't.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did you guys do to replace your HIDs? The video I saw, the guy had to remove the wheel well liner. Considering the issues I've had with that liner, I'm reluctant to do remove it for fear that it won't be reinstalled correctly.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
Have you just taken a look in your engine bay? I'd start by going in from the top, I think... You might have to remove a couple of things to get to the back of the lights, but once there it should be fairly easy. The back of the light has a cover to twist off, then a little clip holds the bulb in place.

Even if you do go through the fender liner (that is the official procedure), it is only a few clips - you peel it back a bit, not remove the whole thing.

Also, I'd avoid buying from Amazon in this case - Anything that can be knocked off is there... Normally this applies to ignition components, but I bet HID bulbs have the same issue. That's why I suggested RockAuto.

-Charlie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you just taken a look in your engine bay? I'd start by going in from the top, I think... You might have to remove a couple of things to get to the back of the lights, but once there it should be fairly easy. The back of the light has a cover to twist off, then a little clip holds the bulb in place.

Even if you do go through the fender liner (that is the official procedure), it is only a few clips - you peel it back a bit, not remove the whole thing.

Also, I'd avoid buying from Amazon in this case - Anything that can be knocked off is there... Normally this applies to ignition components, but I bet HID bulbs have the same issue. That's why I suggested RockAuto.

-Charlie
Then it's likely I bought knockoffs :poop:.
After I finally convinced the dealer that I didn't have halogen bulbs, they agreed to do the HIDs for 1hr labor. If these things fail inside the 2yr warranty, I'll go for RockAuto next time. I have the factory bulbs in there, so they've lasted 8+ years.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
I'll be curious if you see an improvement in the light output.

-Charlie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be curious if you see an improvement in the light output.

-Charlie
I would be surprised if I didn’t restore the lost output. The lenses have some craze but it’s minor. I last had the detailer do them about a year ago but I think the Honda’s last longer than many other brands. What gives you cause for concern?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,456 Posts
What gives you cause for concern?
No concern, but since it will be hard to A/B test if you are not doing the work yourself (say, replace one and compare output between the sides) the improvement may not be totally obvious.

-Charlie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm happy to report that I am extremely gratified with the restored light output of the $32.84 set of replacement HIDs I bought from Amazon. The documentation says there's a 2yr warranty on the bulbs. I'll let you guys know if I have to replace them before then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts