Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..I want to use the laptop as the mobile entertainment unit with 14" big screen and DVD...Here are my questions:
1) What's the best way to secure it ? I prefer buying a ready made table if it exists...
2) Whats the best way to also transmit the audio portion to wireless headphones?
3) Has anybody tried to transmit video & audio via 2.4Ghz to another screen for the bench seat ?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Hmmmm, I see another million dollar idea here....

All we have to do is create an adapter system to handle this need, which is cropping up more and more every day. Strap that baby in, plug in the PC Card, run the wire to the car-mounted electronics, and away you go. The car-mounted electronics are for full-strength audio out to wireless headphones, plus a wireless remote control for the DVD software. Mount the IR receiver anywhere--shoot, wire up multiples--and hide the control box away somewhere.

While you're at it, add FM modulator capability to it so that the whole car can listen if required. If not, the driver can just fade out the rear speakers and listen to his stuff up front--a la Honda RES.

It'd be no harder than plugging in a cell phone, if done correctly.

(Whoever does this, just remember me in an Easter egg in the remote control software.)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm wrestling with the same issue. This looks like a possibility,

www.mobiledesk.com

although I don't have the van in hand to try it out. This desk requires a no drill installation using the same hardware that secures the seat itself. It's mostly designed for front seats, but the company said they've done a couple of vans but would like to see a picture of your existing hardware before they can give a definitive answer.

Another thing that occured to me is the possibility of using an unoccupied second row seat. Since the seat folds over could you use that surface--assuming you could secure the seatback in its folded over position--as a table for laptop (securing of course the laptop).

Another question I can't answer until my three month wait in Purgatory for the reputedly Heavenly Ody is over.

I suppose you want to avoid Rube Goldberg solutions, but I like being able to have one device serve many purposes--portable entertainment as well portable GPS/NAVI. I'd like to have gps in the car and then take it with me as I hike through the woods or stroll through an unfamiliar city.

I suspect that as the market for mobile entertainment grows new types of solutions and desks will enter the market.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Adam1991...Your suggestions are pretty much what I have in mind...The plans are:

1) Attach a USB port extender ($80) to have up to 4 USB ports from 1 USB port on laptop
2) Attach a TV card ($80) via USB port similar to WINTV-USB made by Hauppage (http://www.hauppage.com/html/usb_data.htm
to capture TV signals or VCR/VCP signals
3) Attach a DVD remote ($50) via USB port like a product by KEYSPAN
http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/remote/

I am still researching the audio portion and is also thinking about using the music stand (adjustable height) with some velcro to secure them together. The stand can then be secured by bunjee cord against the metal portion of the seat belt buckle. Crazy idea ???

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Can answer a couple of your questions...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Odysseylover:

2) Whats the best way to also transmit the audio portion to wireless headphones?
</font>
There are aftermarket add on wireless headphone transmitters designed for this purpose. You can get IR or RF. I prefer IR versions, they tend to have better SQ (no "tuning" problems), but need line-of-sight. Basically you can buy a 12V compatible transmitter and a couple set of wireless headphones as a package for somewhere in the $40-$80 range. Mobile electronics places will carry them, as do places like Fry's electronics (if you have one nearby). Check Ubid, I've see the Q-Logic IR version there w/ 2 sets of headphones for ~$40.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
3) Has anybody tried to transmit video & audio via 2.4Ghz to another screen for the bench seat ?
</font>
If you can get composite video out of your computer, then you can install a wireless RF audio/video transmitter in your Ody for ~$50. This type of setup is used on the Traveltheater system some people have. It can be purchased separately. This wireless setup has been done very successfully by people here, most recently by Marvyn (Nyvram).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I am still researching the audio portion and is also thinking about using the music stand (adjustable height) with some velcro to secure them together. The stand can then be secured by bunjee cord against the metal portion of the seat belt buckle. Crazy idea ???
</font>
Personally, I feel a very wary straping down something like a laptop in a car, as it can become a projectile, but if you feel comfortable, what works for you is all that matters. If I had to do it, I'd find a way to bolt it to some hard chassis mount. Don't know anything about the desks/etc. mentioned here or how good/safe they are. Just some of my thoughts...

Good luck!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts